I am a Zach supporter, but I am also a realist...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 28, 2022.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Wilson needs to lose his ego and work on his self-esteem and confidence. I half-jokingly said that he should have married his ex-girlfriend when they were still dating, but marriage and kids would have worked to humble him more quickly and help him diminish his big ego.

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Minnesota is rated as a low pass D, but they played well against the Jets. Many of MW's completions were to WRs that were well-covered. They weren't easy completions by any standard. And there was that awesome pass to Corey Davis after MW took a beating.

SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

World of difference between the Vikings pass D and the Bills pass D. This weekend will tell us a lot.

dmw likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I count Ricky Ray more than I count that guy. Someone help me out here because it's been driving me crazy for a few years now. The Jets had some scrub named Stu Somebody. I could swear they just grabbed this guy off the street or something. I'm not making it up, it was in the early-mid 2000s . . . ? I remember laughing and saying who the f is this.

At least Art Schlicter is not a Jets claim to fame. We have that going for us. o_O

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Another example of why stats are so misleading.

Yes, Zach has under performed, and I agree with his benching - and even thought he should've been benched for the 2nd half against NE - but he did find a way to win games even when his stats weren't good. I credit that to the extra dimension he brings to the table with an arm that can make those clutch tough throws off schedule, and his threat to run (which has been under utilized).

And no, I'm not arguing to Zach to replace White because he has a lot to learn from how MW handles himself in the pocket and is able to read defenses and spread the ball around among other things. But White also has to figure out a way to convert trips to the RZ into 6 rather than 3 points more often.

JETFUEL1580 and bicketybam like this.
  6. bicketybam

That's going to be an unpopular take but I agree with you.

A huge part of the the Jets win against Buffalo the first time but was Wilson's mistake free play. The Pittsburgh game came down to him being able to score a TD when they absolutely had to. We will need White to be the guy this Sunday.

The Bears are terrible with Fields. They were even worse without him when we beat them.

1-1 so far. Can't go 1-2.

#106 bicketybam, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    Nyjets4eva and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

This is an excellent a fair take. I agree. As poised and competent as Mike White looks compared to Zach. Last Sunday did have some concerns and those red zone trips left me feeling very unfulfilled. We should have scored more. Neither guy has shown to be the true future to be fair. But White gives me a much safer feeling.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

White hasn't practiced with the 1st stringers until the week before. That's why. There's but so much you can practice in 6-7 days.

#108 BrooklynJetsFan, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  9. ColoradoContrails

Note: I didn't trash MW, nor say he sucks or that he can't do better. I'm just saying that the stats he's racked up aren't the whole picture. The Minny game was there for the taking but it wasn't. That's not all on White, but he certainly had a hand in it. And again, I'm not saying Zach would've done better, but that said, Zach and his poor stats won 5 games so somehow he was able to overcome his shortcomings, rally all the players who hate him, and find a way to win.

What does that boil down to? Our odds are better right now with White as QB, but those who are dismissing Wilson are being shortsighted. Of course the Jets need to ride the hot hand in the form of MW as long as it stays hot, and give Zach as much time as they can to sit and learn, but MW hasn't proven he's a lock to carry this team to the playoffs, let alone any further than a "one and done". And if he falters I don't think they're going back to the Flacco well, or putting it all on Streveler - although if they do that will certainly send a clear signal about Zach's future with the team.

10. ColoradoContrails

At this point I agree - MW is the safer choice. But sometimes "safe" only allows you to make games close, not necessarily win them.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So what exactly is your point? White is better, White should start, but Zach Wilson should not be forgotten about. Do I have that right? Fascinating argument, very profound

12. ColoradoContrails

More profound than "Zach sucks and he should never see the field again".

13. BrowningNagle

Ok we will always remember Zach Wilson throwing for 110 yards and putting 12 balls in the dirt for a 16-9 win. We will never forget those wonderful moments and what he brought us

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Funny...I don't remember "12 balls in the dirt". Maybe I didn't watch the same game. And where would this team be with the 5 wins he got them? Oh year, right, if White were the QB they would've won ALL those games plus the two he lost.

I bet you're really good at Fantasy Football.

15. BrowningNagle

You really gotta know little about football if you think Wilson "got them 5 wins." The defense played pretty well, if I remember correctly.

Saleh must play fantasy football too since he benched Wilson

Ralebird likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Of course Wilson wasn't the only reason they won, but he did make a difference. And maybe White also wins those games plus the 2 NE games, but we can't know that, all we DO know is that Zach was the QB for 5 wins against some of the toughest defenses, in some of the toughest stadiums to play at. We'll see how MW does over the rest of the schedule playing better teams, then we can use facts and reality and not "what ifs".

17. bicketybam

Don't bother with with this clown.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, that's a couple of minutes I'll never get back.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Well... Zach's gotta get himself off the inactive list before he starts winning all these games again.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Mike White is so much better than ZW on the short throws. He always hits the receiver in stride. If ZW hit the receiver on those short passes, he rarely hit him in stride.