How'd Joe Douglas pry a 5th AND a 4th to move down ONE spot?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Footballgod214, Apr 25, 2024.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

LOL…..anybody who watched the Jets last year knows OL….particularly OT was the biggest need (aside from QB). Now they have depth at the very least as odds are Smith doesn’t last the whole year. Hopefully a longtime starter at LT. Smart pick by JD.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

right but in 2-3 years if Mccarthy is perennial pro bowl QB* and Aaron Rodgers is hosting podcasts we will undoubtedly be talking about how we had a chance and passed on the kid. We wont be too psyched about the extra 5th round pick or whatever

*I dont think he will be but we'll see

3. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

It's obvious what happened. Either the Vikings found out that another team was trying to trade up for that spot OR the Jets were able to create the illusion that another team was, thus forcing the Vikings hand.

Either way, if the Vikings think they have there guy, then a 4th round pick is more than worth it. The Jets can't lose this trade, they were not drafting a QB in the first round. Unless he becomes the next Peyton Manning but even if that were to happen, all the other teams that didn't draft him would have lost and all the other teams that didn't trade up for the Jets pick will have lost as well. The Jets win either way. The Vikings will win as well if the QB works out.

mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I agree with you there…. I do think out of the first three QB selected there will be a couple of pro bowlers. We blew it when we picked Wilson but not sure there was anyone else that would have succeeded with that group.

5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Not sure i agree. if all goes according to plan we won't have a draft pick this high in some time. So why not draft a QB and let him sit and learn (like love in GB) rather than an OT do same

in any event, hoping for the best with Olu

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It wouldn't have been the same as Atlanta. Rodgers has one, maybe two, years left. The Falcons are tied to Cousins for much longer. Plus Penix is older than McCarthy.

LAJet likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We did not have the luxury nor the talent offensively to make that happen, not in a million years. We desperately needed to build our short term O line and WR corps now, or you would be drafting high again while the rookie who is a long shot as it is sits on the bench.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Trading up for Odunze would have been the stupid move. We're all lucky that didn't happen.

9. NCJetsfan

Getting a 5th round pick is big imo. There will still be some good players at that point. The 6th the Jets traded is the one that they got from Denver for Zach. The Jets now have a 3rd, three-4th round picks, a 5th, a 6th and a 7th round pick. They should have enough ammo to move up into the 2nd round, even if they have to include a pick from 2025.

10. NCJetsfan

And yet, they traded down again last night with KC, so KC could take Worthy.

11. NCJetsfan

Fashanu is not a developmental player. He will definitely get starts at LT when Smith goes down with injury, and that alone could save the season for the Jets. Moses could also go down with an injury, and AVT may not even be available for the first few weeks of the season, and they possibly could even play Fashanu at RG just to give him some experience and get him used to the speed and strength of the NFL so that when he does have to go in for Smith, he'll be better prepared. This was an opportunity to draft a topnotch starting LT and take care of the 2nd most important position on a football team for the next 10-15 years. It was absolutely the right thing to do.

This team should not draft another young QB until there are some major changes in the CS, including Saleh. They have proven that they don't have a clue how to develop a young QB. Just sitting behind Rodgers alone isn't enough.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

We didn't. At best, I think McCarthy will be a career backup. I don't like him at all.

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Agreed and don’t be surprised to see the Jets add another OL …. this time a guard maybe in the fourth round …

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I definitely think they both should and will add an IOL in the 4th round, possibly even the 3rd round if they're able to trade up into the 2nd using some of the 4th round picks this year and a pick or two from next year. At present, I don't think Schweitzer and Hanson are nearly good enough depth at OG or C. There are some good IOL prospects that will be available.

mrjet80 likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I think you're right, not enough ammo, likely have to give up the 3rd and all 3 4ths to get into the 2nd, and that might not do it

Red Menace and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  16. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Lol. Developmental player. Almost 700 pass blocking snaps in his college career at LT in the Big 10 with zero sacks given up.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How do you see our "current situation" at QB? I'd give it about a 'C' at best and that's without considering the out of balance influence the current QB appears to have on roster construction.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

No one else in that group succeeded. Not Zach or Trey Lance or Mac Jones or Justin Fields. Trevor Lawrence was the only QB in that draft…he went to a bad team and got them into the playoffs and won a division title in his first few years. This is what I mean when I say that great players don’t take long to show great. They just don’t. I’m not sure even TL has lived up to the hype he got coming out of Clemson, and you can argue that he is lucky to be in the AFC South which just blows, but still. The fact is he has already delivered for that team. The four other scrubs have already been traded away for literally peanuts. They all suck.

And so for this year, I don’t know which of the 6 QBs will make it and which will bust, but history would say that most likely, of the 6 QBs taken this year, probably 3-4 will bust or just not be better than mediocre. One … MAYBE two will be good to great. I don’t know, it kind of feels like most of these guys were over drafted. Are Penix, McCarthy and Nix REALLY great prospects? I don’t get that feeling. To me, they feel like late first, early second type guys instead of top 12 guys. And for sure, one or two of the first three guys won’t pan out either.

It’s just such a crap shoot. I can’t say who will be great and who will bust, but I think 3 or 4 of these guys will end up sucking.

REVISion likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Falcons signed Cousins and drafted Penix, unless a team has a HOF QB as their starter they should always look to draft a QB even if it’s a developmental project.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I agree we shouldn't have taken McCarthy - or any QB - because we don;t know how to develop them, I do think McCArthy might become the best QB in this class. Playing well - exceptionally well - with the pressure of a Natty on the line all season, shows how tough he is mentally and emotionally. And from the little bit of tape I saw of him, he can make all the throws and make plays with his legs. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people.

BacktoQueens and Footballgod214 like this.