How far are the Jets from contending for a SB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfan1987, Oct 24, 2012.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

agreed on olb. davis and harris are the ilb.no way they should sign s.jackson or d bowe. 1 is too old and the other is too expensive considering we have a deep threat developing now

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

They probably need significant upgrades in 3-5 positions. Also, get Revis back in good health. They could be there next season, but it looks like 2 years. Who knows? It's so hard to say.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good list, but I would not include a need for wideouts IF Holmes is back and S Hill can learn to catch the ball.

As for LB my previous comment about needing two is that two new and competent starters would make the LB corps acceptable as a SB contender. But yeah the JEts presently have only one above average (and not nearly as above average as his fans here think) in Harris, so the other three (in a 3-4) would optimally all be replaced, and since it's too soon to know whether Davis can be one of those three, the hard logic of the numbers supports your take on LB.

4. I don't think Holmes is gonna be back. Too expensive, too similar to Kerley, & he just doesn't have great chemistry w/ the rest of this offense.

The current WR corps of Hill, Kerley, Schillens & Gaines is a not bad one moving forward. However...Schillens should be more of a #4. Which means you need somebody to join Kerely & Hill in the top 3. To me, the Jets need a physical power forward type...similar to Keyshawn. That's what Bowe is...he isn't necesarily a deep threat.

5. Clifton59

Clifton59 Banned

A 2 player upgrade should do it. A better than average QB and a speed rusher at OLB

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I don't think we are that far away honestly, to me the key is consistent play from Sanchez. If we get it then there is no reason that this team can't compete. He has to cut down on the bonehead mistakes. Throwing the INT when and where he did was a killer. Those need to end. The guy is obviously going to throw pics but it's the where he throws them that need to change.

We need to upgrade at both guard positions, Moore is getting old and Slausen is a decent player but he's better as a backup. I think the kid we have at RT is playing well considering where he is at this point in his career. He could develop into a nice player, he'll never be great but I don't think he is Wayne Hunter either.

The biggest piece we are missing on defense is a John Abraham type pass rusher. A guy who will reak havoc on opposing QB's and one they have to gameplan around. These guys are hard to find but if we find one it will make our defense so much better then it has ever been. Wilkerson, Coples and Davis have played well and I think finding a guy that can get into the backfield takes a lot of pressure off guys like Harris and Wilson as these are going to be the pieces teams target in the pass game.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Steven Jackson is only 29, he can give us another 2-3 years of good/solid play. How old were Thomas Jones and LT when they were here? Both played well as older players.

It depends on how much Bowe would want, but he would make our passing game that much better. With a healthy Holmes, plus Bowe, with Kerley in the slot and Hill playing the Schillens role, we would have arguably the best receving corp.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Ask that again in about week 16. If you had asked the Giants fans that halfway through last year you would have received a very different answer than in late december.

9. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

ditto and well said

10. BJXX

BJXX New Member

Johnson and Foster are elite. My concern is with Schaub. He is a very good QB, but I don't see him as the big playmaking QB, e.g. Eli, Tom, Aaron, Drew.

How many games come down to a few big plays? A lot. I just don't see Schaub there yet.

But I could be wrong.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This - Also a speedy shifty RB to complement Greene's physical running style and we're in good shape.

12. jetsfank57

jetsfank57 New Member

Andre Johnson, Foster/Tate/Forsett, JJ Watt, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Daniel

You don't need an "elite" quarterback, you need a smart game manager who can make good plays when he needs to and doesn't turn the ball over. Remember Trent Dilfer won a superbowl for crying out loud.

Trust me, I'd trade Sanchez for Shaub any day of the week and twice on Sunday, at least their guy doesn't start freaking out at the slightest hint of pass rush.

We are much closer than some others, but we really do need a better QB, because unlike the Texans, we don't have play-makers on all facets of the game or a 3 headed running beast. Our (healthy) corners are better than theirs and our D can really shine even without a mutant freak like JJ Watt, but our Offense is a total mess, and it starts with the QB. If Shaub or even Tebow was at QB on that last drive vs the Pats, we would have easily won.

13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

One can only imagine if we really did. I would gladly trade what happened in 2009 & 2010 for Luck.

14. FriendlyDolphin

That's a huge IF and completely unrealistic. Also how many years has it been since you found a franchise QB that could have any shot at winning a SB ? Should take longer than you think especially since you probably won't draft one due to rex next year.

#34 FriendlyDolphin, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  15. FriendlyDolphin

I heard defense takes a big part in that. all you need a good/solid QB to build around

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

6 players away

17. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

the D only gave up 17. They did there job.

18. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

To make a surprising run is one thing but I don't think that is the question. The real question is if we worked things out how long till we are a team that is dominate enough to be real Super Bowl contenders with out a fluke run.
    And the truth is two years. This offseason we have to upgrade the rb position, lock down our safety's, and upgrade the linebacker position with at least one big move be it early in the draft or a free agent.
    Then the following offseason we must upgrade our offensive line, while still keeping replacement talent high. Then and only then can we truly have the dominant defense and running game to contend at a high level for the Super Bowl.

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Honestly, I don't think they are that far off. Once the young guys develop, and we add an elite pass rushing OLB, and maybe RB, we are contenders that can dominate (with Holmes and Revis playing of course). We still have the potential to put together a good run and pull something crazy off this year, so I'd say we are exactly 12 games from being a contender :) I see us moving in the right direction, though.

20. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Agreed here. If Sanchez just gets more consistent... if we find an OLB who generates pass rush on his own... Then the Jets are in it every year.:beer: