How Bob Saleh gets his team back...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jun 13, 2024.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He was never highly regarded. A highly regarded GM candidate wouldn't take a job that forced Adam Gase on him; he would wait until the next offseason for a better opportunity.

abyzmul, mezzavo and jets_fan like this.
  2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

THAT was a drop the mic moment right there. IMO, a highly regarded GM wouldn't have taken the Jets job. The league knows this is one of the places coaches go to die.

3. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I think about this more than I should... I get that this is a place that coaches come to die but if you were offered the job wouldn't you take it anyway?? There's always going to be a coordinator who wants to be HC bad enough willing to come here (or anywhere else for that matter)

Cman68 and mezzavo like this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Bingo! :D

If someone is as highly regarded as people say that Douglas is, then that is a person with options that shouldn't be considering coming to the Jets. Anyone that has the ability to go somewhere else is not coming to the Jets.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I was thinking more GM. I don't know "what" it is but something goes on, in this organization, where the team simply continues to perpetuate this nightmare. GM's rarely get a second chance once they fail. No self respecting want to be GM would come here because it would be the end of their career before they got going and history is on the Jets side of jacking up anyone that sits in that chair. No previous GM, getting that rare second chance, will come here because failure is almost assured.

Sadly, you are correct about the HC. There is ALWAYS some hot shot coordinator willing to take that chance because they'll get another shot later down the line. Problem is the ONLY way this team drags itself out of the mess it's in is to have an ESTABLISHED coach come in here and FORCE this team into shape. Someone with the absolute credibility that everyone would get in line. I know it was a pipe dream but I was so wanting the Jets to fire Saleh and bring in Harbaugh. He has turned around EVERY program he's taken over.

Sometimes I sit and wonder what would have been had Parcells been about 10 years younger and could have hung around for a while. I bet there would be at least 1 more Lombardi trophy in the case.

6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Saleh has the second highest odds of winning coach of the year according to sports books lol. I actually like Saleh, the Derek Carr interview the other day where he talked about Saleh was pretty awesome. Go ahead and flame me haters but he's a leader of men, let's see what he can do with experience and a real QB. Something he hasn't had as the HC.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The odds show that whoever wins coach of the year will come from a place that has performed miserably in the past. It appears Saleh has given himself quite a head start.

abyzmul likes this.
  8. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

1. You can't win without a QB. It is the reason we have not been in the playoffs in as many years as we have not had one. As far as I can tell, there is about less than 0% chance that any of the QBs on the roster right now are on the field by the last game of the season. I have watched too much football to think the 2 oldest QBs in the league are taking us anywhere in a division where most teams are finding great success in the peak of their current administrations with hot young QBs. You're kidding yourselves, BIG-GLY if you think this team is poised for a run as currently configured.
    2. Saleh and the GM were NEVER going to get fired last season and it is not a mystery of any kind. Not since the owner was responsible for making the decision to not have legit backups behind ZW at any point. Why are you still crying about it? The owner destroyed the team's success last season, not anyone else.
    3. The people who literally blame the GM and coach over the last 20 years (EXCEPT FOR REX WHO CAN NO WRONG RIGHT?) will continue to do so no matter what facts get in the way. I suspect there are other motivations. In the end, this constant call for change is not only dumb as f(*&*&, on many levels, but it's also the reason our droughts last so long. Stop crying about win/loss when we don't have a QB. Ask why we don't have one and the answer is not because the coach or GM did something. It's usually because the owner is choosing things for other reasons.
    4. Building a team culture is hard enough, especially when run by a Trumpian trust-fund baby, it may take 10 years before this current version of the Jets sees success. Is that longer than it takes the Giants or Baltimore to go from new coach/gm to playoff success? Yes, but that's because the owners already have a culture already in place. A CONSTANT STATE OF CHANGE AT THE COACHING POSITION IS BAD FOR ALL ORGANIZATIONAL CULTURES. There is nothing intelligent about crapping on perfectly good coaches or GMs on your own team based win/loss only. What else is going on with the team? Did the owner set it up so that there no NFL QBs on the roster like last year? Ask these questions first, before you blah blah blah again, about yet another person trying to do their job while working under an absolute turd of an owner.

9. Ralebird

This is the NFL - the only facts that matter are the numbers that follow the "W" and the "L." It's the people who have a new excuse every year about why the record sucks who are the ones who don't get it. If the facts that show every week in the standings don't change, something must - and that starts with those whose job description is to put the team together and to make it work. You may think "trying" is enough to keep people employed. It is not.

Side note: inserting political nonsense into a football discussion is way out of line and will not gain you any points here - that should be a zero-tolerance issue.

10. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Being scared of words must be awful. I definitely agree we need to apply that zero-tolerance policy, and this definitely proves to me you're a serious person who should not be taken lightly. Thanks for showing me how one single statistic explains all there needs to be known about the team. I would not have thought about that, ha ha.

11. Ralebird

Apparently you now have a fear of the word "facts" which you easily used in your point number 3. Please explain how the demonstrated performance of the team may somehow excuse the management of the team, both on and off the field, from examination and criticism while the singular facts used by the NFL to determine success game by game and season by season are the won and lost statistics. In the meantime, shall a moat be constructed around the pedestal upon which you enshrine that management group or shall they be held responsible for their foibles and failures?

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

^ I like the part where he says it may take 10 years for the current Jets to find success. That's a window of opportunity that Woody Johnson approves.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

That's reality for the NYJ. BTW, it certainly isn't just about Saleh. Everyone up to and including Woody Johnson is getting Hackett as well. I have no problem with it personally. We wanted a franchise QB and we got one of the very best in NFL history with the one condition of carrying a bad play caller. I think it's a ridiculously low price to pay.

14. abyzmul

I think we need to start seeing actual benefits before we can say that price was worth it, or any price. We also got that signal caller with a parade of media issues, at the age of 40 and now nursing an Achilles tear. The already-paid price keeps going up, and we haven't received our purchase yet.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Along those lines, I have no problem saying the results will most certainly be there. You can play devils advocate to that statement all you'd like but Aaron has about 18 years of results to back up that claim. To me this entire thread is about creating drama where there isn't any. Freak injuries hit every team from time to time. That's what happened to Aaron.

16. abyzmul

We're still waiting for this deal and the resultant mountain of hype to result in a single win, or even a single touchdown. You may be fine with penciling that in but some of us want to actually experience that stuff before we give credit for it.

Ralebird likes this.