How Big of a Turnaround Can the Jets Have in 2015?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 15, 2014.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I love your optimism my man...I truly do... Let me ask you a question...from the 2013 season to the 2014 season...what did our team improve on as far as weaknesses go? To be quite honest, we actually regressed. So, to simply "assume they will" is not a doable thing at this point in time. Talk to me after they fire Idzik.

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

The offense strategy is a much more glaring weakness than the QB situation IMO. Morningwhig has done a worse job of controlling close games then Geno has of throwing games away.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I've been a fan since 97 - I've seen the ups and downs too man. Mariota or Winston won't get us to the SB, look at how many first round QBs that have failed. We need to get a foundation put in place. That starts at the top. Get Idzik and Rex out of here. Fire the scouts. Go get Tom Gamble and a new HC - things will get better instantly.

I don't care about having a HOF QB as much as you do or anyone else, I just want to field the best team possible. There are several ways to fix this team, it's not all about the QB. We need one obviously but man it's not the end of the world if we don't get Mariota or Winston. Fix needs to come up top and I hope Woody makes the right decision.

I'm not trading up for Mariota under any circumstance. He's not a savior.

4. mezzavo

See...I can debate this...some of you join in instead of giving those of us a hard time who care enough to be this passionate.

Not sure JV...I'd agree with you if I hadn't seen glimmers of an almost juggernaut display in a handful of games. The Green Bay game really comes to mind as well as a few drives in between. There have been times where the offense almost looks unstoppable. Yes, I actually said that. Then...they just go into a full blown pooch screw mentality. Now, I'm not sure from where that stems but Geno, certainly, is on the beginning end of quite a few of these horrible endings. Certainly a topic for debate though... MM has definitely been a part of the problem...

5. mezzavo

See...now we do AGREE on most things... A full top/bottom house cleaning is in order. BTW...I was "joking" about the trade up...at least, as I go back and re-read it still looks like a joke...what with my Wilson comment and all...

I do NOT condone trading up in this draft is John Idzik is running the show...he'll give our next half a decade away or something stupid like that....sooo...no... Part of my lament is our team can't even lose the right damn games at this point. Every damn time we need a QB we are ALWAYS on the outside looking in....ALWAYS....simply frustrating....

6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Well the thing is we don't really have many players under contracts, most of our guys are on 1 yr deals or rookie deals. So if we're gonna "rebuild" nows the time to finally do it. We have the cap, maybe more cap after the 1 yr guys go.. so we can make SOMETHING now. We can build more of a core now. Get SOLID players at our positions of need NOW via Free Agency, don't wait or worry about overpaying them a little.. Hell fire the scouts too so we can actually draft some talent and put them around these core players. We have no identity and too many guys that just show "flashes". We need to get players that are proven, consistent BALLERS.

7. JetsVilma28

Early in the season there would be times when we looked like we could move the ball at free will. It was such a reassuring sight after not being able to pickup a first down under Sanchez in 2012. Geno is mind boggling to me and I just have to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he is not being coached properly. I don't think the entire offense has to be placed on his shoulders. Manage the game, that's it. Green Bay is most frustrating because our defense was pitching a shut out through 1 & 3/4 of the game. Morningwhig asked Geno to do too much. The pick was attributed to Geno getting hit, pour blocking up the middle.

I am not saying Geno is good or the answer. But if the fish stinks from the head down and MM is the head of the offense. That is the guy I am removing first. Rex, time is up as well (you have to have more than just a defensive mind to be a head coach).

The most important thing in football is the ball. You must protect the football. Geno has done a pour-pour job of protecting the football.

The Jets desperately need football minds that are engaged in the game and understand controlling and managing a game. I'm not sure the Jets know how to develop a Rookie QB. Ultimately this Jets franchise would need a Namath type who comes in, becomes a Field General, commands the respect and admiration of his fellow teammate and knows how to make crucial game time decisions on the field. Like, when you have a 20pt lead with the football in the opposing teams red zone with first down and only 2 mins to half and your receiving to start the second half...you run the ball you kick a field goal, you maybe break a TD, but you go to half with a HUGE lead and receiving the ball. You don't pass on 1st or 2nd down (that's for sure).

Constant runs from shotgun when you have Ivory and Johnson and Powell. MM is the one I am pointing the finger at the most. REX and MM are the two easiest fixes for me. Idzik is close, but I let the man live one more season and I know we disagree here. I give Idzik some credit for ending cap hell (not much). Idzik is feeling the heat and we all know he is a goner if results are not clear and present in 2015 meaning competitive NYJ 8-8 shot at playoffs, and jeez at least competing for the division.

#47 JetsVilma28, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  8. mezzavo

THIS bolded area is why Vinnie T. did so well here....

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is definitely a fair point. Just seems awfully hard to take another step back this offseason. I guess they could though. Still, I expect them to move forward.

10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

If past performance suggests future results, and Idzik is still managing the draft, I wouldn't count on much. Last years draft was the chance to have a youth movement, and Idzik layed an egg. The Jets should have drafted a QB in the mid-later rounds like Mettzenberg or Tom Savage or Logan Thomas. That guy would have been on the bench learning how to play pro style this year and would have given us an option at QB for 2015. Instead the Jets drafted Jalen Saunders who don't even make the team and they are starting from scratch st the QB position.

That being said, the Jets have not played up to their talent level, and a new coaching staff hopefully will bring that out. Watching Sanchez the last few weeks proves that you could get more out of these guys with better coaching. When he was on the Jets, it seemed like a 20-30 yard pass downfield was an insurmountable. Now he does it regularly and often shows good skill. He still makes those bone headed throws that kill drives and isnt a long term answer for anyone, but in hindsight who honestly wouldn't take a 2014 Eagles Mark Sanchez over a 2014 Jet Geno Smith or Mike Vick?

11. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

You do realize his OL and skill players are significantly better than the Jets have, right? He'd be the same guy he was for the Jets the last couple of years if he were with the Jets now. And, please, Sanchez is not as good as Michael Vick, who hasn't exactly lit it up for the Jets. It's the Jets lack of talent on the OL and skill positions that is the problem. A rookie/second year QB simply isn't going to elevate them.

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

We could easily be a playoff team next year. We see big turnarounds all the time in the NFL. They happen every year. It's all about making the right decisions and getting a little lucky.

13. JetsVilma28

Jalen Saunders was the worst pick of the draft. All in all it was a terrible draft and terrible Free Agency. If the Jets are the Jets this Free Agency will be a blockbuster especially with Idzik next on the chopping block, he will go for broke if he wants to keep his job.

Sanchez sucks. If you watched any of the game yesterday you know he sucks. He missed receivers at will. The Eagles will go no where if they put the game in his hands.

14. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Any team can go from shit to shine in 1 season if the right guys are running it.

Personally I still believe Rex can be a guy that leads a team to consistent winning. Just too bad the rest of the front office and staff is so incompetent it will cost him his job.

If Idzik is back and he hires Bevell or Quinn or someone similar to that I cant see much of an improvement.

If we clean house and bring in guys that will lead by example and jump start a franchise the way Rex did in 09 then we could have a decent season next year.

I really dont trust Woody though.

15. JetsVilma28

Game management, winning close games is essential. No more moral victories, that has been a Rex special for the last few years.

The best teams find a way to win. Moral victories count for nothing.

slimjasi likes this.
  16. slimjasi

Of course. The NFL is a league of one-score games. Good teams win close games and bad teams lose them.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  17. JetsVilma28

Somewhere Rex forgot that. Crucial points in the game he let other people make decisions. MM walked all over Rex in the Green Bay game. I just can't see too many 'good' coaches letting that game slip away.

MM is so bad though. If your team is struggling on offense you run the ball and protect it. You don't risk losing the football easily dropping back and chucking it. MM is the easiest piece of this team to part with, just a terrible game manager IMO.

I like Rex I think he can call a great defense. I think he can even motivate a mediocre team into making Championship level plays. He just isn't disciplined enough and/or smart enough to make the right situational decisions. The decisions that are a matter of win or lose.

MM and Rex have cost more close games than any player on the team.

18. slimjasi

MM has always been pass-happy. Philly fans hated him for it. It was my big hesitation when he was hired.

19. JetsVilma28

For me, it's easy bc I like running attack better. But for a rookie QB (1-2 year experience QB) and a monster backfield, you got to run. The run facilitates the pass, not the other way around. The run also sets the statement, 'we are coming straight ahead, stop us'. That's when you PA, get the d to hesitate and boom you hit a wide open Harvin down field (or in Geno case miss a wide open harvin, Miami game).

20. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It all depends on the off season.

If they hire an assistant to be the next HC then we're not gonna know what we have in that department until we see the games play out. If they hire someone like Harbaugh for example i'd be really excited.

This team needs a QB and lineman or two on offense. They have pieces. If they can accomplish getting those pieces you will see a big jump on the offensive side of the ball.

On the defense they need to address the corner position. Everything else is adequate to strong. The team is not in terrible condition. They are just really really weak at some really key positions.

My checklist as far as players are concerned would be

1. QB
    2. Cornerback
    3. O-Line