Houston, Do We Have A Problem?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Khan

Khan Active Member

they wouldn't have started Houston over Martin or even Blaylock even if Houston had burned everyone in training camp every day, ran over them all, etc.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

As I've said all along--draft a rb early (Williams, White or Maroney), cut Martin and Blaylock after June 1, and pair our new rb with Houston. Martin is a hall of famer, but we're rebuilding and he's had it. Blaylock was a Boobway error.

3. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

He's average at best. We need a RB, bad, and need to use a first round pick on one.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of Cedric Houston. If any RB is going to be cut it should be Derrick Blaylock. He is a decent runner, but most if not all of his success in KC was because of the superb oline play.

Cedric Houston while playing behind a SHITTY oline had a 3.7 per carry average.

Cedric Houston has a tremendous burst and can REALLY break tackles well. Plus he showed in the Miami game that he has some good hands.

Cedric Houston may or may not become a good RB, but I think he has the potential and I couldn't disagree more with Dev Team...I dont think there is any chance he gets cut.

5. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I am down with Houston. He runs hard and hits the hole with force. He does not break to the outside all that well but he cuts up the field nicely. He did all the behind a make-shift o-line. I have a feeling he will be getting his carries next season, not sure about starting, depends on how hard he is working this off-season. All in all i like him, he would be a very serviceable change of pace back, he just needs to be used correctly....at the end of the third qt. when the oppositions D is wearing down - smack them in the mouth.

#25 JetsTillDeath, Apr 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2005
  6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I agree, unless we spend a high draft pick on a RB, Cedric is definitely going to split carries with Martin and maybe even become the starter by years end.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I, agree, I, thought, he, did, pretty, well, last, year, especially, considering, the, circumstances.

8. vilmas our future51

vilmas our future51 New Member

Yea me 2.... im a very big Houston supporter, i still think we should draft a speed rb like brian calhoon(spelling?) to compliment houston when martin leaves. I only think he can be a sick rb if he gets up his stamina and toughness b/c he had to call curtis during the year and ask him what he should do to take away that pain

9. The Offseason

The Offseason New Member

I don't think he has the potential to start as a full-time running back. But I think he would make a great short-yardage back, the kid has alot of fight in his and got most of his yards after contact.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Somehow I doubt that.

11. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Here is my vote for DeAngelo Williams at 29...heck, I'd take Maroney there too...

#31 LoyalJetsFan, Apr 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2005
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You spent the past number of years bashing the hell out of the CS for ineptitude, and now you are relying on their judgment after-the-fact? Man, your hypocrisy never fails to amaze me.

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Cedric Houston & Jerious Norwood for the future!

14. ColezDeep!

ColezDeep! New Member

Norwood is a fast kid....not a bad 4th round pick

15. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

He has the chance of being a good player this year. We have a new coaching staff and roster (which Houston will be on next year) which could be a help to Houston as well as the fact that his thyroid problem is fixed. If he doen't do well this year (with more carries) then I think we find a new guy.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

All I said is the previous CS did not think much of him. Is that not correct? As for the last CS I guess I was correct is that also not correct?

17. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

The Jets are set at RB-Curtis is good for 10 carries a game, Blaylock 10, and Houston 10. Its quite simple-Martin won the rushing title 2 years ago, Blaylock started in front of Larry Johnson in KC, and Houston looked very strong an played with heart last year. We do not need anymore RBs

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

2 years ago is like a lifetime in the NFL. Blaylock & Houston IMHO ARE NOT top of the line RBs & frighten no one so the pressure on our QB will be immense.

19. GatorNation52

GatorNation52 New Member

I actually agree with champ on this, This board grossly overrates an ok player in Houston. Hes nothing special, he was ok at Tennessee, and hes ok in the NFL. If hes a starter for any team I would be stunned. IMO hes far more likely to be released then to be a starter. Blaylock is a change of pace back, and hes only average as that. I love Martin but you need someone to take the burden off of him, hes getting to old to carry the team. The guys we have wont be much help. There are at least 5 HBs in the draft that can help.

20. CmartinHOF

CmartinHOF New Member

all cedric houston showed me was that he could run against OAKLANDS and BUFFALOS run defense, big deal, i could run against buffalos run defense, we need a new RB and Martin has at the most 2-3 years left so we need to use Pick #29 Overall on a RB.............

-Deangelo Williams
    -Laurence Maroney
    -Joseph Addai
    -Lendale White