Holmes just took responsibility for last year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

How did Holmes quit? People keep saying this. He was benched by Schotty after an argument in the huddle. He didn't quit. He got pissed off because playoffs were on the line and he only got 2 targets while Hunter kept blowing assignments.

#81 Barcs, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't he involved in much the same thing at the end of 10 against Pitt? He was benched late in that game as well.

3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He's just too damn honest for his own good.

4. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

I know this is a troll post, but this kind of attitude has been prevalent on this board lately and I'm starting to fucking hate it.

When Schotty is only sending ONE GUY deep and having everyone else run 3 yard curl routes, that's just EASY pickings for a defense. Anyone who disagrees can go back and watch the tape, most of the problems had to do with play design. We either had too many receivers in the same area bunched up or we had one guy going deep by himself.

Honestly no one was in a position to succeed.

5. AarontheJet

For once in his life? Do you know him personally or something or are you just making assumptions through biased eyes?

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I am biased, I am biased in that I'm a Jets fan and would love for him to turn the corner and start acting like a man instead of a child. Step one, take responsibility.

7. AarontheJet

He did though, for his part. He wasn't the ONLY reason the Jets failed to succeed though and trying to put everything on his shoulders for last year's blunders would be pretty shortsighted.

While I do think he was a problem, I think Schottenheimer, the offensive line, and Sanchez's injuries/play really were bigger problems plus our lack of running the ball was the biggest problem of the whole year.

I do feel like Holmes has been made a scapegoat somewhat, because anyone who watched that team last year saw that most players were very perturbed by Schottenheimer and his playcalling. Hell, it got Derrick Mason sent out of here. So while I do think he was part of the problem, it was truly a team wide problem and it's something I've hoped we've fixed coming into this season.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I am stoked that he did. I think it's a great thing.

I don't think anyone would say Holmes was the only reason for last year. That would be ridiculous.

9. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

Step two, don't open your damn mouth...your getting paid to be a player not run a soap opera.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Why do people even care so much about comments to the media? You do realize half the time he's baiting them. In reality comments to sports "journalists" mean absolutely squat when it comes to football. I don't care if Holmes talks all year long. If he plays well that's all that matters, I don't care if he says Rudolph Guliani planned 9/11 or that New York City is a cesspool, if he helps us win games, I'm cool with that.

11. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Some of the problem is they're really getting paid to play football but also forced to participate with media as part of the NFL's mandatory media time. It's really up to the media to report on football,.. and not soap opera drama. As we've clearly seen, regardless of what's said by a player, and regardless how the question was worded or baited they will find a way to spin it into drama.

When Holmes ignored the media he was threatened with a fine. When he answers their questions honestly he gets bashed for it. It's a lose lose, unless the media can be professional about what they're reporting or asking we're going to hear it one way or another.

If you need proof of this just look at how many articles were posted today that mention how holmes thinks he was a scapegoat and bashed shotty. Now go back through and see how many of those articles mentioned Tone's "Let the guy in sunglasses take care of that" when goaded with a "What happens when open Tone doesn't get the ball" from Stephen A. How many of those articles brought up that, before the scapegoat comments, Holmes openly, and without hesitation, took responsibility for ( his part of ) what happened last year and openly said he handled it poorly.

#91 Ajitator, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You're mixing together a few different things here. First of all what Holmes says to the media, and how the media reports it, is a big part of the problems people have complained about.

They shouldn't.

As for the douchebag things you call that he does on the field, I agree the celebrating TD's when down several scores was a bit much, but IT WAS NOT WHY THE JETS SUCKED LAST YEAR.

I notice many NFL players doing things that could be balled douchebaggy. So?

The only thing that has any relevance is the locker room stuff. Here I think Holmes was mostly a positive last year. He complained about the OL early on, and right after that the Jets won three in a row. That's leadership.

By the end of the season, he did not quit on the team. He showed his displeasure, which he should have.

I guesss we just have different perceptions about this kind of thing. I think blaming Holmes is much like other forms of scapegoating around here. His behavior was far, far down the list of reasons why the Jets had a mediocre year last season.

13. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Can someone tell big blocker we actually agree on something. He has me blocked but feel like we should both celebrate. Lol