Holmes just took responsibility for last year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jul 30, 2012.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is how I feel too. Words are wind... lets see it over the course of a full season. Earn your money Holmes. The fact that you're getting paid more than Revis is a disgrace.

2. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

To me this is beyond words. This wasn't a setup that was turned on Holmes. It wasn't words put into his mouth. They asked him openly "What was the problem last year with Santonio Holmes?" The response "Me" will not come from someone who doesn't believe it. Specially not a guy who's known to be such an ego as Holmes is.

This is one of the best things that has been said all offseason by and JET, Hands down. If nothing else this has got to go A LONG way with the guys in house.

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Great interveiw...Holmes answer to "Are you going to the playoffs?" "It's safe to say"

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Just words? I call it leadership, and setting an example. Trying to be a team player.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Diva Douchebaggery 101:

[​IMG]

6. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

I just heard the replay of the interview on Michael Kay show...Umm I would hesitate to call this an admission of fault. It really just said he was trying to deflect all his blame on Schottenheimer. I'm no longer impressed.

7. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

So would I, but don't bother. He's already getting killed for taking a shot at Schotty. That was the take away from the interview. How can he take a shot at Schotty, since he quit on his team. So he cannot even take responsibility for his mistakes the way he's supposed to.

He cannot win here. I am no big fan of his, but the coverage of this team is ridiculous.

8. Ajitator

Go back and listen to the full interview. Based on your reaction i have to say they gave a rather biased "replay"

9. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

Exactly. When asked who was to blame for last year, who does he think is responsible for all the trouble, he said, without hesitation, "me." Then explained why he did some of the things, how he tried to be like he was in Pittsburgh and messed up, and didn't realize the NY Media was different. Not BLAMING them. Said he should have realized it was different.

Who was at fault for last year?

Me.

That sounds like accountability, no?

10. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

yeh plus stephen a basically goaded him into blaming schotty anyway.

hes not my favorite guy in the world but jesus give him a break already. this time he really is saying and doing all the right things. so lets not forget what the front of his jersey says and fucking get over it already.

11. Ajitator

I particularly enjoyed when Stephen A was trying to goad an answer out of Holmes as far as "What happens when you're open and you don't get the ball". His response about the guy with the sunglasses taking care of that on the sideline is exactly what needed to be said, and is exactly what we need to keep telling these A-holes in the media.

12. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

progress, damn it!

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

You should probably listen to the interview and not one of the brief "highlights"

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Or perhaps an admision from you that he was a douchebag????????/

15. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

Yup... not my favorite guy either, but he was accountable today, and frankly he was right about Schotty too. (who I honestly think was the real problem with Sanchez, Holmes and Offense etc. Holmes clearly disliked Schotty by seasons end, as did Sanchez, but Sanchez kept toeing company line, Holmes didn't)

But he cannot win. He was a "problem child" already, and then he "lectured" the media about how do do their jobs (was spot on too) so they are not going to let him get away with anything, because sports writers/sports media people are the most thin skinned people in the world.

How dare an athlete have the audacity to take issue with how the writers do their jobs. They are allowed to write anything they want.

It's become clear quickly it really does not matter what the players ACTUALLY say anymore. Media will write what it wants, or cherry pick the quote to shoehorn it into the "Jets are dysfunctional" narrative they desire.

16. Big Blocker

In other contexts, many here will go on and on complaining about the media and their coverage of the Jets. Yet for too many here, when that crappy coverage distorts the focus on, here Holmes, but elsewhere Revis's contract, Cromartie's domestic situation, even Sanchez's love life and whether it affects his play, and those same fans let the press run them up bigtime.

I don't get it.

17. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

I listened to the whole thing. But it's 100% contradictory. First he basically throws all the blame on Schotty (who certainly was never without blame) and then he says "it was myself." I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it. TRUST ME, I hope I'm beyond wrong. I'd love to be proved wrong. I just doubt it. Hopefully there won't be enough issues to get him in that position in the first place.

18. Big Blocker

I can't stand your attitude about him. He plays for the Jets. No one here can realistically say he was a major cause in the team's problems last year. Yes, toward the end of a bad season he crossed a line, but I understand why. He wants to win and he's not satisfied taking his paycheck and letting it slide.

Rex says he lost the locker room, which is bad coaching. Hunter was the worst starter on the team, and right now he's still number one on hte depth chart. Sanchez sucked. Yet you and other whiners want to complain about your take on his personality.

I admire Holmes for wanting to win and for not being satisfied with losing. I like his atttitude a hell of a lot beter than Sanchez's, for example.

19. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

And I don't think supporting Holmes today or being pleased he took some accountability for his actions last year means he is NOT a douchebag, or did not act like a douchebag last year. He did, and he still will most likely engage in douchebaggery this year, like the first down celebration move down 20 points, or the occasional bad body language after a bad pass.

But he has clearly tried to move on and be a productive teammate (something all his teammates say he is), and took accountability FOR being said douchebag, and is trying to be a team player. Plus, frankly, the guy can be an extremely productive receiver and the jets need him to be.

So in closing, yes, douchebag last year. But admission that he was the problem is a big positive.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It doesn't matter. People on this site will still call Holmes a cancer every time he makes a mistake, but then those same clowns will get on their knees for him when he scores a game winning touchdown.