Holmes has to go now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Oct 1, 2012.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Where did you get this information? He is guaranteed 11+ mill.

2. Petey

Petey Active Member

Looks like there's over $11 million in dead money if he's cut following this season.
    If he's cut following next season there's only $2.5 million in dead money while over $8 million saved on the cap.

http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html
    and
    http://nyjetscap.com/salary14.html

3. Graytness

Graytness Member

No, the injury wasn't him quitting. Him flipping the fucking ball up like a spoiled little brat was. How anyone could tolerate that is beyond me.

Like I said, I'm not questioning his talent and what he can contribute to the team's offense. I'm weighing that against the baggage that comes along with it. In my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros.

4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

carted off holding his knee? and its a phantom foot injury (yet to be diagnosed BTW). So yes, there is some rational to this "theory". It's not like he never quit on his team before...C'mon BB, you better than this. You outright defense for him is reminiscent of Johnny Cochran with OJ...

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

So if Holmes has a minor injury, we cut him and replace him with WHO exactly?

I don't remember Holmes quitting on the team. I remember him getting into an argument and getting benched by Schotty.

7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

We cant cut the guy, he knows it, and we all know it. Like it or not, he is going nowhere. He still is our best weapon on O too. It is so frustrating that he swindled our FO into the contract we gave him. Does the guy have talent, heck yes. But he is also a head-case. I put him on the same level as Brandon Marshall, Ocho, TO, Moss with the Raiders, and a step ahead of Kenny Britt. Like it or not, we are stuck with him.

8. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Stick a knife in them. This team is done and they can either start rebuilding now or 3 years from now. I vote for the former.

Cutting Santonio is the gamma knife that begins removing the Jets cancer.

Followed by 2 years of chemo...put up or shut up for the headcases, underperformers and circus freaks...greene, scott, cromartie, keller, pace, thomas, sanchez should all be informed they're playing for their jobs.

Next year get Revis healthy. Package him up and trade him for a pass rusher and/or some first day picks.

9. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I don't think I have ever disliked a Jet more the Holmes, I can't stand him.

10. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

He shouldn't have been given big guaranteed money in the first place.

But now that he's here, are you f--ing kidding me? He's the only thing close to a playmaker on this offense.

Enjoy watching the Chaz Schillens / Jeff Cumberland show.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He has a 12.5 mil cap hit next year and if he is cut we take a bath with 11.25 mil of dead money..you don't call that guaranteed?

12. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

We're already watching the Schillens/Cumberland show. The only difference is the ounce of pride and salary cap they can salvage.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

BB, I agree with you on many things, but I have got to disagree with you on this. In 45 years of watching football, pro and college, I never saw a player do what he did yesterday. I have seen players hammered and blasted in every conceivable manner, helmet flying, losing conciousness, and still many of them held onto the ball. Holmes lay on the ground and threw a live ball up for grabs, and cost the team a touchdown. I've always known that he wasnt a consumate team player, but that act yesterday was beyond the pale. Think about the message that sends to the other players. Even for the facts of the cap hit and that he is our only experienced receiver, I would still cut him. The cliche of addition by subtraction.

14. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Financially, unless they find a moronic GM/HC around the league, letting go of Holmes isn't possible until after the 2013 season.

We're stuck with his selfish act. Guy has one good game against Miami and he's got his blowhard supporters out again I see. Unreal.

15. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I agree. Watching football at all levels and never seen it before. It's the opposite of what every player is taught. Ball security first, your body second. Never seen someone actively give up a ball in the middle of a play.

Goes to show you how unprofessional this jerk is.

16. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

Because when they tried to make a run in Ryans first two years. They backloaded a lot of contracts. Not to mention SANCHEZ, we are going to ducked for awhile.

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

They should have tried to work out a deal that sent Holmes to the Jags for MJD. Include Sanchez or Tebow in the package. That would have been a dream deal.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Certainly if I thought it was on purpose I would argue for killing him, not cutting him. But it was a questionable call and he was in real pain, or so it looked like.

More will probably come out, so I don't think we should speculate too much.

19. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

http://nyjetscap.com/santonioholmes.html. We save ~$1 million with ~$11 million dead if he's cut before 2013 season.

Wouldn't IR'ing him before finding out the results of his MRI and cutting him in the offseason (when we won't incur -$11 million in dead money) accomplish the same thing? (Theoretically)

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

ESPN keeps saying that the Jets are saying he's going to miss at least a few games.