Heart Break Just Pure Heart Break

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Umphpool, Oct 16, 2014.

1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It's just frustration as a whole. It's hard to bury the Jets over these past 10 days as far as performance goes. They've played well, they just don't have the talent and thats whats so annoying.

2. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Im still wondering how this loss was a heart break. Maybe Im just jaded but there was never a point that I expected the Jets to win

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what can happen. Replace a shitty QB with a mediocre or good QB and you change the fortunes of the team and outcome of games. If you dump Geno and put any of the top 10 QBs on the Jets, we are playoff bound every year.

4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Im with you but I got into in the 2nd half and then I just wanted to beat those fucking cock suckers so fuckin bad......I fucked myself

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  5. jonnyd

I still cannot get on board with this until I see Geno with more than 1 receiver. That said, I would imagine that after seeing Geno with more than 1 receiver, Id agree with you

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So here's the primary problem the Jets have right now. As of halftime of the Packers game the Jets had been in the red zone 6 times and scored 3 TD's. Now that's not world-beating but it's somewhat effective. They've scored just 6 TD's in their last 16 trips to the red zone. That's just killer. That's where one score losses come from.

Now, the problem is not all Geno's. Marty M got a TD called back with a bad TO call on the sidelines. There have been TD's called back because of holding penalties. There has been a dropped TD pass. The play-calling has been suspect down low at times. All of that being true the QB still needs to be the guy who gets the team in the end zone when they're right there knocking. For all the other errors he has to be the guy who is generating successful results. He doesn't have to be perfect but he does need to get 7 much more often than the Jets are managing the task this season.

Not too long ago a much better QB than Geno named Chad Pennington was sitting at 1-6 in what looked like a lost season. He wasn't playing badly but the QB is responsible for the performance of the offense. And so he was replaced by a worse (but younger) QB for the remainder of the season. He wasn't replaced because he was playing badly. He was replaced because the offense was playing badly, particularly in the red zone. When you're the boss and things aren't working it's often time to go find a new boss and see if he can turn things around.

7. Br4d

We've seen Geno with Decker, Kerley and Amaro the last couple of games. That's not a bad receiving group. It's not a very good receiving group but it would be if a very good QB was pulling the trigger.

8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Want to talk about heart break. I was at a friend's house. And this guy a Pats fan smiled at me after the blocked kick. I clubbed him with a my cast.

9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

10. Br4d

So the question becomes: how do you know Geno will take the next step when the guys around him get better?

Lots of QB's come into the NFL with decent players all around them and can't take that step. What is it about Geno right now that makes you confident that he'll take the next step?

I see a fairly uncertain player who makes some good throws and some bad ones and who has become extremely risk averse over the last few games. It's not bad that he's become risk averse but I don't know how he turns that into positive play moving forward.

The NFL is not about game-managing QB's right now. One of the best ones is actually a game-manager but he's about the best game-manager around and he has been since early in his career. I just wonder how much the Jets want to invest in Geno's development at this point when the answer seems to be that he needs a really good line and receivers to become a good QB. You want to invest in guys who are already good QB's and could become great with the right help.

Again, I'm not saying the Jets should put Vick in, because he's not the answer long-term and he might not even help the team win more games this year. I'm just saying that we've seen enough out of Geno at this point to promote the sneaking suspicion that he's not a very good starting QB and I'm not sure what exactly the Jets can do to fix that.

Probably 1% of the good college QB's become good NFL QB's. What makes you think Geno is in the 1% at this point?

11. hornblower

True enough. He has a plus arm, is athletic and can make all the throws. Is he smart enough or determined enough who knows? I like what he brings to the table. That's what scouts go by and fans, well we get emotional. At this point he look ok to me. I reserve the right to change my mind.

12. Br4d

Which successful QB's who have entered the NFL in the last 5 or 6 seasons does he remind you of?

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's what is so frustrating. He plays like he did last night and you think he's a young QB with some potential, some nice working parts. Then he follows it up with games like he played vs. SD and Detroit (BAL, MIA , BUF last year) and you wonder how in the hell he even made it to the NFL.

When he is accurate and runs with the football he surprises you because thats a mix that not a lot of guys have that can singlehandedly win games if it develops. But it doesn't develop or even sustain. And his lows are way too low.

Sanchez was inconsistent too but he was never very accurate and definitely not as dynamic a playmaker as some of Geno's highs. But he also didn't have lows as bad or as sustaining as Geno Smith

14. jonnyd

Mm mm maybe. I'm not as high on Kerley as a lot on this board because, well, he doesn't get open very often. Amaro with 2 huge drops as well.

15. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

anytime you've got a chance to kick a winning FG as time expires to win a game and it gets blocked, it's a heartbreaker to me...........especially against the Pats.....and a 58 yarder for Folk these days is very makeable

16. Br4d

Sanchez was just as bad once the talent eroded around him. You're forgetting all the games with a completion percentage below 50% and multiple turnovers. He had 8 games with a completion percentage below 50% in 2012. He had 10 games with multiple turnovers in the 15 that year. In 11 of the 15 games he either had a completion percentage below 50% or multiple turnovers or both.

17. JETSrealMCCOY!

How was it not a heartbreaker???

18. hornblower

I don't really know but the Jets haven't had a mobile QB since Richard Todd, who couldn't read a defense. Notice how the Jets never go deep on a pattern. They really have no straight line speed and rarely make a tough catch. After the nonsense of Favre, Tebow etc. I don't want to be impatient when I see skills that no Jet QB has shone recently or ever. Coach him, push him, get him better weapons and see if he can do the job. I have time and I went to first Jet game in 1964.

19. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Does Percy cheer us up, and allow us to look forward to next year?

20. hornblower

Straight line speed. What they lack the most.