Head Coaching Options for 2015

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Oct 26, 2014.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Ever since Parcells every HC and GM have been 1st timers/rookies. I want a proven GM and proven HC.

I want Bill Polian as our GM. He has a lot of friends and would bring instant credibility to the organization. Let him bring in a whole new staff, a new scouting team and hopefully an offensive minded HC.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Just a bit of sarcasm there, mostly out of frustration with the Jets organization. Nothing seems to work for us.
    I'm sure you are right about Atlanta and Rex. But if it happens it would be ironic beyond belief. Wish we had someone like Blank as the owner of the Jets. Our problems might go away then.

At this juncture I have no real confidence that the Jets brass has the wherewithal to get some respectability and leadership into this organization.

3. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Our Defense is setting all the bad records and is statistically the worst defense in the NFL. Rex as a defensive coach is an embarrassment. Rex will never be a HC again. I guess one should never say never, Mangini and Edwards both got another shot which they got fired from too.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not always the best on picking up sarcasm. We are in agreement. I'd love to have someone like Blank owning the Jets. I think there's a very good chance that we're screwed unless Woody dies or sells the team.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

While I agree with you about the rookie GMs and HCs, an experienced GM sadly isn't gonna happen. Polian is retired, not gonna take another job, and besides, is NOT who we would want. His last drafts with the Colts were awful. He lost whatever talent he had for spotting talent in players.

pclfan likes this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

There's a lot of options out there based on what we are able to see of coaches as fans. I like Greg Roman, especially if Mariota is within reach. He has been with Harbaugh since 2009 at Stanford, which was also Luck's first year starting there. Since 2009 the pair of them worked with Luck, Alex Smith, and now Colin Kaepernick. Personally that's enough QB success to earn a head coaching job in my opinion, and Mariota being highly similar to Kaepernick in terms of physical traits only adds to that. I tend to like the idea of keeping Dennis Thurmon on as DC, since he has years of experience with the personnel on the defensive side of the ball. Roman's resume working with young QB's is quite good, and I think we'd be able to field a quality team that way. I'd probably be even more interested in bringing in Iupati if this happens, since Roman would be very familiar with him and it would bolster the line for the rookie QB. A 2015 offense based on Mariota, Ivory, Decker, Harvin, Amaro and Kerley with an improved offensive line would look pretty good on paper. Adding to the WR and RB corps during the middle and later rounds of the draft would probably be a good idea as well. On the defensive side, adding a good CB and some type of stopgap at ILB would fortify the starting lineup, and adding some depth to the secondary wouldn't hurt anything. I am high on drafting an offensive tackle sooner rather than later, but If you're QB is there you've gotta take him.

It's so early to say but at this point, I can't think of a set of moves I'd prefer over these.

If we end up drafting closer to 10-15, it's tough to say. Maybe we even do basically the same thing but make a play for Bradford, while looking to take a more developmental QB a little later.

7. NCJetsfan

No he wouldn't!!! What is up with you guys wanting Polian??? He is old, retired and washed up. He would be awful, worse than Idzik. Do you guys not keep up?

Polian is almost 72. He was fired in 2012 after the Colts went 2-14 in the 2011 season.

His last 3 drafts were as follows.
    1 - Anthony Costonzo, OT
    2 - Ben Ijalana, OT
    3 - Drake Nevis, DT
    4 - Delone Carter, RB
    6 - Chris Rucker, CB

1 - Jerry Hughes, DE
    2 - Pat Angerer, LB
    3 - Kevin Thomas, CB
    4 - Jacques McClendon, OG
    5 - Brody Eldridge, TE
    7 - Ricardo Matthews, DT
    7 - Kavell Connor, LB
    7 - Ray Fisher, DB

1 - Donald Brown, RB
    2 - Fili Moala, DT
    3 - Jerraud Powers, CB
    4 - Austin Collie, WR
    4 - Terrance Taylor, DT
    6 - Curtis Painter, QB
    7 - Pat McAfee, P
    7 - Jamie Thomas, OT

Here's a link to an article on the NFL blog detailing why he was fired.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/02/lack-of-young-talent-swayed-irsay-to-fire-polians/

#167 NCJetsfan, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Polian wouldn't take it because he won't put up with Woody's mandates.
    Bro, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Anyways good post and
    Good post but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I don't know how many of these guys are still on NFL rosters and if any are starters. The one guy that got him fired was Curtis Painter and not having a decent backup when Peyton was injured. Donald Brown is with the Chargers and Austin Collie was a very good receiver until he got injuries. The guy who replaced Polian, Ryan Grigson has done a real good job.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Now that's just a blatant lie. Don't ever compare the loser that is Idzik to the 6 time NFL exec of the year in Polian. Idzik couldn't shine Polian's shoes as a GM and builder of teams. Fact.

Who cares if he's 72? He's still as dialed in as any guy in the NFL. It's easy to knock him but he built two franchises into perennial Super Bowl contenders so you can't take that way from him. The guy's a proven winner. He also had Indy on top for over a decade as GM before the team started getting old and falling apart. So don't act like he failed in Indy when he was highly successful there. He had a few bad drafts at the end after keeping that franchise in contention for a long time.

Noone is perfect but Polian is as close as you'll get to a sure, proven thing. He'd bring instant credibility to the Jets.

10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

If i'm the Jets i'm looking for a veteran offensive minded Head Coach to take over.

It's just time the Jets went in a more offensive driven direction. It's way overdue.

I'm tired of constantly thinking defense and constantly giving the young coordinator his first gig.

I say you break the bank for Harbaugh. If not Harbaugh then somebody whose established and is kind of getting overlooked because he's not a popular name right now. Everybody always wants that young assistant. I say we go in the other direction for a change.

11. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

You do realize Polian turned the Jets offer two years ago?

So why would he accept this job now?

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He is unequivocally one of, if not, the most qualified person for the job.

Why would he accept the job now as opposed to two years ago? The first reason is that two years ago Rex was being forced upon the incoming GM. This time around Rex should be gone and Polian can bring in his own guy.

The second reason would be Woody offering Polian full control of all personnel decisions. Give him these two things and a nice paycheck and hopefully that's enough to entice him.

13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

What about that (not sure of the name) McKay guy who put Tampa Bay ' s SB team together. He might make a good GM?

14. NCJetsfan

No it isn't a lie, blatant or otherwise. Polian was one of the best during his prime, but he was awful during his last years in Indy. It's been 3 years since then, and surely the additional years have diminished his eye for talent even more.

We're not comparing Idzik with Polian during his prime, but Polian as he would be now.

I'm well aware that he was a very successful, great GM, but that's ancient history. It's totally absurd and assnine to try to claim that at his age and with the way things ended in Indy that he could still be a successful GM.

You couldn't be more wrong.

15. NCJetsfan

What do you mean, "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story"? I presented facts. Polian was a great GM earlier building the Buffalo SB teams and building a great expansion franchise in Carolina. The biggest mistake Jerry Richardson has made as owner of the Panthers was running off Polian. Polian was one of the best, but by the end in Indy, he was awful.

Austin Collie, was probably the best pick from those 3 drafts. Brown may still be in the NFL, but has never lived up to his draft ranking. P Pat McAfee may be the only other player from those drafts still in the NFL.

16. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

he wants full control

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I said good post and I was kind of needling myself not you by saying that. You made a good point and did have facts. I made a statement without the facts. Are we ok?

18. NCJetsfan

Yes. I wasn't upset, just confused by what you meant. You lost me there for a minute. lol

19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would like Eric DeCosta as GM, assistant to Newsome in Baltimore.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm watching Auburn vs Ole Miss. What about Gus Malzahn. He did a fast rebuild with Auburn.