Head Coach Candidates (Coaches Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 29, 2014.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I agree with everything except the "immediate boost." I can't fathom him ever winning a SB.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That's because you don't really understand what you're watching and think Eric Mangini is a better DC than Rex Ryan.

3. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

I can't fathom Marrone ever winning a SB at least Rex got close.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Just wondering. Would you prefer Rex over Mangini. For 2015.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

As a head coach or defensive coordinator? HC - I might consider Mangini after an interview if he sounded like he improved in some critical areas. For DC it's Rex, no brainer.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Wrong answer. Neither.

talisaynon and Jets69 like this.
  7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Stupid question. You're a jackass.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Please. What makes you such a football wizard?

The point in that argument that I made is that is irrelevant in terms of who DM is as a HC. That was the hand he was dealt, just as it was for Rex Ryan. That is just the way it is, the point in what I said is, just because he didn't have a QB doesn't mean he would've been a good HC. That is not an automatic assumption for a guy that hasn't accomplished dick in any capacity as a HC in any level of competition.

The guy had good talent on offense, amazing talent on defense. Still had a far worse offense than the Jets, lost to the Raiders, only had a winning record because they beat a Patriots team (first time under DM) that sat their starters in prep for the playoffs, and bailed on his team before he could make any significant claim that he is worthy of being a quality HC.

He hasn't proven a fucking thing.

So you can call me a dumbass all day long, it's not going to hurt my feelings. I am secure with the knowledge I have on football and this team.

I question your reading comprehension and going through some of your posts, I also question your intelligence. To each their own though.

For the record.. I am completely against DM and think Rex was the best option and we shouldn't have fired him. Seems you view that situation in a similar fashion.

Next time you quote me, how about you not come off like a complete ass hat and try to identify what I was really saying throughout my posts on this forum.

jetlife21 likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And that's exactly why Atlanta hasn't been able to rebuild. If Atlanta takes Trufant whose a good player and then uses the rest of their next two drafts to improve their 7 in the box then the team is probably much better overall.

It's pretty easy to look back on trades and see whom got the better end of the deal. If you want to argue Atlanta would've taken Justin Houston at 59 instead of him going 70th then I suppose you have a little bit of a leg to stand on but that's assuming they take him and hit on him.

124? They get no one to improve their team. 22nd in the 2012 draft? Who do they get that drastically alters their defense? Nick Perry or Dont'a Hightower both marginal NFL players? 118 and beyond in the 2012 NFL drafts yields nothing but special teams linebackers.

So you're essentially trading Julio for no impact receiver in 2011, MAYBE if they pick correctly Justin Houston and two average NFL linebackers which they have plenty of.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

And let me go in the record that I completely agree that in theory trading up usually never works out for teams and usually works out for the team trading down.

I just don't buy thar Atlanta's problems are still stemming from that trade. They got an elite player to help out a younger progressing quarterback at the time. They went all in and the team in the trenches sucks. That doesn't mean they had 0 draft picks the next three years to fix that, it means they didn't successfully draft anyone to fix the problem. They've only had what looks to be two real good selections since 2011 and that's Jake Matthews and Trufant. They haven't drafted one good defensive lineman or linebacker in three years and go look at the draft history. They've certainly tried.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Chris Mortensen reports that Dan Quinn is the favorite for the Jets, but he's contingent on a specific GM pairing.

YOYOYO likes this.
  12. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

LOL

13. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

We'll be getting the first crack at Bowles. Him and Quinn are in very high demand unlike the so called favorite a few days ago.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

15. Jonathan_Vilma

While I'm more interested in an offensive minded head coach I'm most interested in a good football coach that has the ability to adapt and change with the league and his team. Week to week and in game Rex had to have been one of the worst adjusters I've ever seen. Great game planner who implodes on himself if the game plan doesn't work.

That's why Belichick is highly regarded as the best. His in game adjustments are second to none.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

I like Mora a lot and he would be far better than a guy like Marrone but as a Bill Snyder fan this kind've threw me off. He did apologize afterwards.

#576 DoubleDecker87, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  17. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

I think he would be a sold hire as would Todd Bowles.

18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

John Harbaugh isn't bad either, and he was a defensive guy. No matter who the OC is in Baltimore, their offense is always methodically steady. Even their effective, exciting plays are boring. If we could have that kind of offense for the Jets, I would be entirely satisfied as a fan. That's what my hope for Quinn would be: boring, effective offense; passionate defense. If that is what the Jets are getting in Quinn (plus his mystery GM), then count my fan vote as all-in.

19. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I don't know...I think it has to do with talent, mostly. Rex Ryan's second half defenses were almost always better than his first half defenses. But, when you're trying to adjust on offense and 3/5 of your OL sucks and your receivers aren't winning matchups, what, exactly, can you do?

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm not really sure what games you've been watching. Rex will repeatedly blitz quarterbacks that adjust to six and seven man protections that smother blitzing nickel backs. Or repeatedly playing his corners a mile off receivers that allows a quarterback to keep running stop routes against them all the way down the field. There's no second half adjustments at all other than to keep blitzing and even if it doesn't work blitz some more.

It doesn't really make sense though because he always game plans well against New England then allows every one else to pick his defenses apart. Similar to how Denver simply took what Rex's defense gave them this year while he refused to blitz Peyton Manning. He's too damn stubborn for his own good.