Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Actually, I think his holdout might work out really well for the Jets. We really need him for the playoffs and the ramp up to the playoffs, so not having him now isn't that big a deal. He's just given us the ability to lower his cap hit on the year substantially and that may be significant when we trade for Devante near the trade deadline and we'll need the cap space. Of course, there's the question of whether he'll play hard, but he still wants his next contract and the Jets will give him some of the money potentially back in an incentive if he hits x sacks, etc., which I don't think counts against this year's cap. He can choose to fake an injury I suppose, but I suspect the Jets can suspend him if they believe he is faking it and then the contract might toll anyway. I suppose he could become a cancer in the locker room, but he doesn't have any relationship with his teammates and I suspect that many of them are alienated by his holding out, so he's not likely to have much influence. Also, if he becomes a cancer in the locker room it'll hurt his market value on his next contract.

JetsKickAss and twown like this.
  2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Good post. The one blind spot is if we miss the playoffs due in part to losses in the early part of the year that might have been avoided if Reddick were playing.

For example... We're about to play an inspired Denver team, then three games against currently undefeated teams. If we don't get at least two W's from these four games, we'll be sub-.500 after seven games, and the "ramp up" that you mentioned might be moot.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Have to avoid emotional reactions to business transactions.

If there's a time when Reddick puts himself in a position to play, you have to get a return on your investment and put him out there. The incentivization for him to perform will be high since he will have to prove he's worth the value he believes he holds.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If Reddick plays the minimum number of games to qualify for a full season - what does that do to his chances of getting a big contract afterwards? His production is going to be down given the lack of games.

I guess he could try to sell a team on his per game production, but it'll be obvious he was playing the bare minimum number of games which will negatively impact his leverage anyway.

I understand holding out throughout training camp and preseason, but I really don't understand his endgame now. What he's doing is basically objectively bad for his career at this point.

Jets79 likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

There are other metrics which can be examined, in a game-to-game basis, to determine if his productivity over the course of a 17 game season is below, at or above expectations.

Win rate would be one that comes to mind.

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Reddick's best chance is to come out and state he's reflected on the whole thing and recognized that he needs to play football and wants to contribute to the great team that is the NYJ.

Privately he should work out the deets with JD on how long he needs to practice etc to start the clock ticking on gaining a salary.

I've seen many people refuse to admit an initial course of action was incorrect and then refuse to budge to their own demise. Apologizing is really so easy and can get things back on track--I actually love apologizing--its so refreshing and cleans off all sorts of nasty shit. Thats all he has to do.

JetsKickAss and REVISion like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Maybe we're totally whiffing on Reddick's state of mind. Maybe he's been half-retired all this time.

As long-term health risks become more evident, early retirement decisions happen more and more. Maybe Reddick decided he didn't really want to keep playing football. Maybe he's one of those rare sports figures who doesn't actually want the job. But if you want to back up the truck, sure, we can talk.

[​IMG]

#847 twown, Sep 26, 2024 at 10:31 AM
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 10:47 AM
  8. ramjets29

ramjets29 Member

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thank you. Most informative. At the end of the day sounds like he will be traded by week ten for peanuts. It also appears as if not only will he lose his salary and fines, so essentially playing for peanuts himself, but the Jets will also recoup the prorated share of the bonus actually paid by the Eagles. as I said before...a lose/lose situation.

10. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

11. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Fiftynine and JetsKickAss like this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Fiftynine likes this.
  14. Fiftynine

Hey, at least Boomer actually played for us

15. Fiftynine

First Jets game I ever watched, O’Brien threw for 4 tds and close to 500 yds. Won the game in OT throwing to Walker I think. Became a fan that day. Probably a bad decision but I’ll always have a soft spot for Kenny O.

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

OH BRIIIIIIEN TO WAAAAAALKERRRRR!

Fiftynine likes this.
  17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Yea I wouldn't call him dink and dunk he had some big games with Toon and Walker. Plus Schuler

AtlantaJet, Jets81, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

All three of those brains would fit in that helmet.

19. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...me-trade-to-eagles-amid-jets-contract-holdout

Honestly if Eagles are willing to send back our draft pick and take Reddick, and I'm not saying they are but if they were, why not??

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Would be weird for sure, but that article also considers a straight up Huff for Reddick swap as well…I would do that as well … Huff was tailor made for our system and clearly isn’t a great fit in Philly. Reddick doesn’t want to be here. If that trade is a real possibility, I would do it