Haason Reddick's Holdout

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Jul 31, 2024.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well that’s silly. We don’t need a pass rusher we sunk resources into for most of the season?

mezzavo, IIMeanDeanII and abyzmul like this.
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I am quite calm and just stating facts. You do realize that you need to win enough games in the regular season to be able to qualify for the playoffs? The Jets absolutely need Reddick to get to that point. You act as if the Jets are some juggernaut who are going to steamroll through the schedule. Win some games before you start projecting nonsense like that. Give me some of what you're smoking, it must be some good shit.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well none of us were there or were privy to whatever conversations happened, but my personal opinion is not so much that the Jets thought he would play out the current deal as is…clearly he didn’t want to do that in Philly so there is no logical reason why he would do that for us.

I believe that JD thought they could work something out short of a multi-year extension for huge dollars. I think JD’s gamble wasn’t really “he told us he’d play on this deal”…I think his gamble was “we’ll sweeten his current deal either by adding some incentives which we can structure to hit either this year or next, or by increasing the amount of guaranteed money already in this year’s total payout”…something like that. Something that would get him some additional cash without having to commit to a 3-4 year huge money extension.

Just my opinion, but while JD has made his share of mistakes, I don’t think he’s a naive idiot who went into the deal saying “well he SAID he’d play on this contract”

He may be saying that kind of thing to the media for public support, but I think he was hoping they could reach agreement on something without adding years.

We’ll see

I still do think something will happen…the player is too good to just rot at home, and he needs to play and get paid this year AND on his next deal…sitting out a year doesn’t seem like the best way to get that done for either side

Brook! and ouchy like this.
  4. JetsNation06

Playing on this contract and not getting a deal done are two different things. I never said that they thought he would play on this contract. However to think they didn't need to get a deal done with him before the season when that was the reason the Eagles dumped him is reckless and gambling at best. That is completely a JD and Jets FO trait. It's already a bad look from an Optics standpoint for the Jets.

It's so typical of this franchise to be dealing with nonsense instead of having the full squad ready to play real games in less a month.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yup…totally agree

This negotiation should have happened BEFORE the trade was done. no question

And usually that’s the way these types of deals work…the trading team lets the new team work out a deal and THEN you consummate the trade.

No idea why this happened this way here…

JetsNation06 likes this.
  6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I think the bs is that any contract can be givin before an existing one is over. That’s bs. Honor what you have, and earn a new one.

LAJet likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He also said that he would support OTAs and Training camp while negotiations were on going blah, blah blah. Never meant a word of it. So in essence he and his representatives were dishonest BS artists. If he showed up as agreed to a deal would probably be done already. So there is that. This might not end well for either party.

8. JetsNation06

That sounds good and well but this is the NFL. Why would a player honor his contract when owners can cut that player at any time? It goes both ways. In the NFL, especially ,the players have to get theirs because they have no job security. I don't blame them one bit for demanding their market value.

Bellys Lies and Jets79 like this.
  9. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

I get that argument, but aren't the Eagles and the Jets collectively telling us what his market value is?

As in, not what he thinks it is?

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what do you call trading draft picks 2 years from now if it’s not gambling them away?

He doesn’t even know which players will be available or where the NY Jets will pick

11. JetsNation06

His market value was set by Danielle Hunter this offseason when he signed a 2 yr $49M deal. Same exact sack production as Reddick the last two years. Same age too. That's the ballpark Reddick is looking to be in. The Jets had to know this before dealing for him.

12. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Offer him $16 million a year with a $1 million dollar per sack incentive for two years. He will of course want some guarantee of certain percent of defensive snaps to achieve as many sacks as he can.

Jets OG fan likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Back when we traded for him I was following the cap closely and remember wondering how we could afford him if he was seeking a new deal. Then it was mentioned he may play this season on the current deal, and it seemed unusual given the circumstances. If this was true the eagles would have never traded him. Ultimately I think we offered him something closer to what Huff got, around 17 million a year, and he felt insulted.

The bottom line is (IMO), this was done during a phase when the FO was under fire and desperate, and to make up for losing Huff JD went for a big splash and traded for a player we literally couldn't afford.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If Reddick wasn’t grumbling about a new contract before he was traded and had a bunch of years left on his deal, it’d be one thing to be pissed at the player.

He wanted a new deal and it was known or else Philly probably hangs on to him. Players who want a new deal are very rarely traded and just so *ecstatic* to be on a new team that they just forego their desire for a new deal and play it out.

I don’t really care what Hughes says either. He has a lot more incentive to suck the Jets teets and push positive moves out there about them in the long run. He covers the Jets, not Reddick.

15. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I don't blame him for wanting more. If he has a great year, couldn't the Jets just tag him? I think it's $23M defensive ends. Meaning if they offered him that extra year now fully guaranteed, would he be more likely to come knowing he's basically getting $40M over the next two years.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s a good thought but it doesn’t cut both ways. The team can cut the player anytime, so they don’t have to honor the contract. So to me, if the team has the right to cut a player under contract because they feel the player isn’t living up to the contract cost, then you have to let the player do the same and renegotiate the contract when the player is outperforming the deal. Gotta cut both ways in my mind.

Sure, as a fan, I would side with the team, but if it was my son playing, I’d absolutely want the same right to re-do the deal.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not really. It all depends on the contract. We can't just cut a player and not pay - it all depends on what contract he signed. That's why we could not cut Lazard for example. He grossly underperformed the 1st year, is he giving money back? Is Zach giving money back? Bell? Of course not. These guys were under guaranteed contract. When Reddick signed his contract, it was a 3 year deal with 2 years guaranteed and 3d year team option. He could have signed with anyone else and didn't have to accept the team option. He was a free agent and did what he wanted.

It's not even a rookie deal, where a player basically has to sign pre-negotiated deal by CBA, which is forced upon the rookies. No one forced Reddick to give 3d team option, that just what his market was. It's time to honor the contract you negotiated. This is not to say JD didn't fuck up massively here in many ways. But Reddick is to blame as well for not honoring the deal he signed as a free agent on open market.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Definitely. But also Hunter is a free agent. You can't really say Hunter set the free market when you are not a free agent. Also, no one was giving Reddick 49 mil. Otherwise he would have gone to that team that offered it. Maybe Houston was willing to overpay Hunter, but no one was willing to do it for Hasson. And now that he requested another trade, I don't think the teams are lining up to pay him 25 mil .just like they didn't before.

Reddick is stuck. It sucks for us that JD put us in that situation, but Reddick's options are even worse. I think he may miss a few games to start, but ultimately he needs to show up and play well if he wants a good contract next year and be a free agent.

LAJet likes this.
  19. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Because the Jets had no intention of a long term deal. They both likely agreed to a bump in earnings this year with the option of a longer term deal or free agency in the spring of 2025, hopefully with some hardware.

we have sauce, Wilson, Johnson on the horizon

Jets79 likes this.
  20. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

Thanks for the in depth breakdown.

ouchy likes this.