Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I just rewatched every Wilson snap. He actually played pretty well IMO. Hear me out.

First off, the INT was terrible. No excuse. He audibled into also.

Duane Brown was absolutely terrible in first half. On the 3rd down near the goal line after the Hall run, Zach has Conklin wide open for a TD if not for immediate pressure. He also throws the ball away instead of forcing anything.

Speaking of pressure, he was under it all game. He makes 2 great SHORT throws under immense pressure.

His 2 third down passes to Lazard and Wilson were perfect.

Good decisions throwing balls away.

The TD pass is debatable. I thought it was an ok throw. The safety actually reads the play and Zach lofts it over him. Not perfectly placed but not terrible.

Remember, he probably hasn't taken a snap with the first team in 3 weeks.

The drives that stalled weren't really his fault.

The 20 yards running backwards is a problem but the OLine has to block better.

I'm willing to see what he is in the next couple weeks.

2. Lon Chaney

Bad play for sure. But Milano blew up the screen. Wilson probably should just dirt that ball instead of playing Hero Ball.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--I watched his feed with Eli and Fitzmagic last night and they were all kind of flabberghasted

4. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

peyton manning “ he should get 3 more passes at the most”. “Let’s just run backwards”

5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

You mean the one where Garrett Wilson was directly between the DB and the ball making it literally impossible to have picked it off? The worst case scenario for that pass was the DB stripping the ball out of Wilson's hands for an incomplete pass.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Wilson is consistently inconsistent.
    Watching him play Qb takes a lot of patience.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  7. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

If Rodgers played, we're talking about a 20+ point blowout last night, but we all know the Jets aren't allowed to be successful. If the Jets have a winning record 5-6 games in, guarantee the best players will start dropping like flies to injury.

8. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I’m with you. Curious as to if you saw the same progress I did vs last year in regards to not panicking and leaving the pocket + hitting the “layups”?

KY Jets Fan and Lon Chaney like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you watch the play again you'll clearly see that there was no way GW was going to get ANY separation there, IOW, there was no way he could be "thrown open", it was going to take throwing it somewhere in his catch radius and giving him a chance to make a play, which Zach did. Not to mention there easily could've been PI called (if the refs ever dared to call shit like that FOR the Jets). Could it have been a better pass? Probably, but who would've made that pass better for certain? Certainly not the majority of QBs on active rosters.

Jeezus! Why are so many so eager to shit on Wilson even when he does something positive?

hornblower, NY Jets68 and cval like this.
  10. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Jets odds to win Super Bowl with ar
    +1800(7th best)

jets odds to win Super Bowl with zw

+6500(20th best)

All you Zach supporters put your money where your mouths are go mortgage your houses and bet the farm that Zach jets win the Super Bowl with Zack you can’t lose. He has clearly shown he is destined for greatness

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What kind of post is this? What a joke.

KY Jets Fan, NY Jets68 and bicketybam like this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The guy has been trolling non-stop all day. Just put him on ignore.

KY Jets Fan and cval like this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Another QB will be signed - I never understood any coaching staff only dressing 2 QBs….you just never know.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. mrjet80

That show is laced with dry humor in critiquing the game and players ….obviously for viewers. Peyton was a great QB but he’s also kind of a wise guy type….I watched the regular broadcast but I’m willing to bet he didn’t criticize Josh Allen and his 3 INT to the same safety….

Acad23 and hornblower like this.
  15. Lon Chaney

Yes. The layups and short game looked good. A couple of the screens he got were under extreme pressure. I think there was improvement.

16. mrjet80

I know I did. A little progress anyway. Aside from the INT considering the situation he was thrust into he kept his composure. He did not let the INT linger - in the past he seemed to panic or perhaps try to make up for a mistake such as an INT with another INT even more dreadful than the original one. He was careful with the ball and he hardly had any time for his reads ….he’s definitely a work in progress but as of this moment he is trending slightly upward rather than downward.

This OL needs to get their shit together. They didn’t play together in the preseason because of the injury threat and that’s not just regulated to the Jets. That being said Id really like to see ZW air it out downfield more, I’m talking two or three 40-50 yard bombs in Dallas. Take a shot … let’s see what we have in regards to game planning for these next few games coming up. We know they can run the ball and throw quick hitches but they need to try to start opening up things a little bit. It’s an NFC game now is the time to experiment as convoluted as that sounds.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Hey, at the beginning of last season, some of us were arguing that Josh Allen didn't play well until his 3rd season. Maybe this is ZW's breakout year!

Lon Chaney likes this.
  18. mrjet80

You never know …..

dmw likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Josh Allen's second year was way better than Zach's, it was like 2015 Fitz.

dmw likes this.
  20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

GW was on with Bart Scott and Alan Hahn today at 2 pm. He does a weekly spot with them.

GW said they Zach didn’t take any reps with the 1s in practice. Tough spot for the kid to come in with a gameplan that isn’t his.

EDIT - Zach also called an audible for the TD pass to GW. It was a run play originally and he saw something and signaled to GW like AR did in the preseason.