Greatest need

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jessedark, Dec 23, 2022.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

And vets only has worked out so well. I just love reminiscing on the Favre/Fitzpatrick/Odonnell/Esiason/Testaverde/Brister years.

WHEN WILL THIS FANBASE GET IT?!? Without a franchise QB we may as well not even be in the league. What’s the point of watching football if you know your team’s ceiling is a wildcard birth at best? As much as it may pain you, we need to keep trying to draft a franchise QB until we actually land one.

2. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

farve’s season was good until he got hurt, same with Vinny, win and in with fitz but no go. Other two I’m too young for.

so with vets at the helm, the team moved in the right direction.

please please tell me when we drafted a qb who became a stud??

WHEN WILL YOU GET IT????? Nyj cannot develop a qb and needs to trade or sign a vet!

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Eveey vet was good until they weren’t, and they all weren’t. The team never actually moved in the right direction, it just had a very low level amount of success to satisfy the mouth breathers who would rather get to a WC birth the easy way instead of working to build a real franchise. If you want a vet then we need to do what LA and TB did: Pay an outrageous amount for a real QB, mortgage our entire future to go all in on a season or two and pray we actually win before we spend the next decade in cap he’ll futility. Minshew isn’t winning us shit, neither is Mike White or Garroppolo or any other ZfA. So which QB do you want to trade for so we have a proven vet? We could go ahead and trade Sauce, Quinnen, Garrett Wilson and 3 future 1st rounders for Lamar Jackson. That’ll do it.

4. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

I’m all in for mortgaging the future for SB run/win! It’s been 54 years so ya…let’s go get the Lombardi!

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think his plan is sound. I liked Mike Tannenbaum a lot when he was here and I looked past the lack of soundness in his plan until it collapsed and I had to look at it.

I think JD for all his acumen as a trader is taking a lot of shortcuts as he goes and the NFL punishes shortcuts pretty harshly unless those shortcuts are the last piece of the puzzle. Even then the shortcut is often not fully effective because the NFL is the NFL.

The OL issues are killer right now and they were killer last year and the year before also. The solutions we keep getting are short term moves that mostly break down and force more short term moves.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

100% QB. I know the OL is a problem but this unit when healthy is top shelf. Unfortunately, they suffered a lot of injuries and it's made them a late season serious disappointment. I'm pretty confident the OL can recover and be much more durable.

In a QB driven league the QB is the very most important position on the field. The Jets currently have a big, fat ZERO there. They MUST fix QB. If you don't you're doing Jets fans and the PLAYERS a major disservice. This team is ready to win now. The offensive playmakers need/want and deserve a person who can throw the ball them properly, accurately, on time, etc. To say it's the OL that you'd fix AHEAD of the QB is the dumbest, most irresponsible take on things....

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I think he would pull the trigger on bigger and better trades if he thinks the value is right, i for one respect that. It’s not madden and he doesn’t go about like past GMs Mike M or something. I actually like his approach trying to find stop gaps with value until he gets a bonafide starter. It has worked I think this year on the D side, might take some more time on Oline for sure but not like he hasn’t tried.

FA and draft wise Becton was just a bad pick and looked good first year. Brown is no slouch older but all pro prior years and Tomlinson just forgot how to play football but was an all pro w SF just last year. I think he’s done a great job tbh, when you’re a GM every move is nitpicked hindsight is 2020 but at the time the move is made I’ve liked most of them.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have done a good job this year of getting the defense sound at all levels. The primary reason that has worked is through a natural high draft pick and a good free agent signing opposite him. You could make a strong argument that D.J. Reed was the last piece the Jet's defense needed alongside the draft of Sauce and so he fits the "good" free agent definition. He's also 26 and so the Jets are likely to get his prime seasons.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My take :

OL and QB are EQUAL : both tremendous priorities ..I think OL can more easily fixed but QB will require some heavier decision making eg getting rid of Flacco and prob Wilson and replacing them with white Strevelor and Vet for true QB competition

The Defense has been one of the best till this recent slide..personally I think they are giving up over the controversy at QB and lack of faith in ZW

That said, Brad and other posters all are 100% correct >>>Fix the damn OL !!! : You can trot White Strevelor Minshew Carr or Garrapolo out there but watch them get destroyed on 3rd and 10 or in obvious passing situations. FTMR go run for 5 yards a game per first half in NFL and see where that gets ya.

If the GM doesn't show he can fix the mess he promised to fix I will be more inclined to believe Brad is correct

My faith in JD is strong atm ..he is still the best GM we have had in years relatively speaking

Br4d likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You ever heard of a transorbital lobotomy? They sap the patient with electric shock, then go through the eye with an ice pick, pull out some nerve fibres. Makes the patients much more obedient. That's our greatest need to stay Jets fans

11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m a JD fan…he’s done more good than bad in my opinion, but I also agree that for a supposed OL guru who stressed time and again about building the trenches, our OL should not be this bad in year three. It just shouldn’t.

I didn’t have an issue with taking Becton over Wirfs at the time for two reasons…first, Becton didn’t have an injury problem in college, and two, we needed an LT and Wirfs was a RT. I do like taking OL from Iowa as that school just breeds them better somehow, but I got the decision then. However, after missing a few games with nagging injuries in his first year then missing all year from a “6-8 week” injury in year two, that was enough for me to say he can’t be relied upon, and it should’ve been enough for JD too, so that I lay at his feet. He should’ve known better because it was blatantly obvious to anyone watching that he can’t be relied upon for 17 games. It is what it is. He’s a backup because he can’t be counted on to get through a season. Fant was also coming off injury. So sure we’ve had injuries and that’s been huge, especially AVT, but some signs were there.

so yeah, gotta fix this OL and fast…finding a legit QB is just as important, but the OL HAS to be fixed

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Mostly agree here ... gotta give him a total pass on Becton. To be fair that was the year of no combine and limited interviews due to COVID. Clearly a swing and a miss there, hopefully cross your fingers that they could squeeze a solid season out of him but if he's not ready by training camp 100% gotta move on.

It is an absolute no Brainer that this year the Jets 1st and maybe even 3rd or 4th round picks should be O-Line. These sigings JD has made, you are right, have been band aids and they have mostly not worked. Tackles and Guards, historically are the safest 1st round positions, although they do bust too but not at a high rate. A 3rd round Center is perfect to potentially start but at least learn for one year behind McGovern, who while unspectacular has been steady at least.

Offensive line is priority #1 especially if we roll w Mike White which if he shows out these last 2 games is the most logical, economical and safest way for the Jets to play it.

Jets79, Nyjets4eva and Br4d like this.
  13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

no fucking way WIRFS was the blue chip pick there.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yes he was a good safe pick, and Iowa just manufactures OL

That being said, he was exclusively a RT in school while Becton was an LT and did not have an injury history in school.

I would have been fine with either pick, and I don't have an issue with drafting Becton.

What I DO have an issue with is then ignoring the glaring injury history and counting on him to play RT for 17 games this year...him getting hurt and missing significant time was 100% predictable, and many of us hacks here on this site said so at the time...not 20/20 hindsight...at the time.

THAT I DO put on JD. He should've known better and he should never have counted on Becton for meaningful snaps.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think is plan is good enough, his problems are that he's had two terrible drafts to one great one, and he missed on the QB. I'm give him this offseason to have another draft and pick a veteran QB, and if he screws those up, we should clean house at the end of next year.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yes... that first draft is horrendous, and that second draft is better but not a home run. The third draft was brilliant, and now we'll have to see what he does when he doesn't have multiple first round picks. It's gonna get harder now.

My only real issue with JD is that for as much as he talked about building the trenches, and as much as he is supposedly an OL guru, here we are after 3 years and the OL is not even close to fixed, and in fact has only one blue chip player in AVT. Not good enough.

I don't know if his plan was specifically to not go big on OL early as we knew he'd have to tear the team down, but this approach of second and third tier OL free agents just hasn't worked. Enough of the Lewis', GVR's, Kahlil's, etc. We need STUDS on OL, not third tier scrubs.

so that I do question...our OL should be better than it is right now, and I do not give a pass for Becton's injury at all as that was totally predictable.

Missing on a QB happens...the hardest position to gauge so I'm not going to crucify JD on Zach. I WILL, however, expect him to get us a better option for next year, whether that's White, Baker, Jimmy G, Minshew, whomever...any single one of those guys is a HUGE upgrade on Zach fucking can't see or hit a wide open receiver Wilson.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Minshew has been playing pretty good. So I say they need to fix the OL. What is going on with Becton? Is he gonna miss another year or play? But still, in this draft/free agency the Jets should draft 2 offensive linemen and sign two more. With AVT coming back and Breece coming back that will help the offense