Good thing we didn't draft Martavis Bryant

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BleedGreen89, Nov 2, 2014.

1. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

And most fans were wondering who the hell Sheldon Richardson was.

Point being, even blind squirrels can find a nut, especially when they just regurgitate force-fed info about prospects and pretend what they read about them means they've watched every game of his and tuck him in at night so they're experts on the topic.

If Idzik listened to a message board about who to draft, he should have never been hired.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The case could be made that Idzik should have never been hired anyway..

NJBeliever likes this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Evans, Watkins, OBJ so look great but we had no chance to draft them.

All the word around the draft with the Jets was that if one of those three receivers would have been there, we would've drafted one of them. None of them were there.

I am glad we took Pryor over Cooks. I still am, I understand it's not panning out right now but CP is so much more than what he's able to do in this defense right now.

I too wish we would've taken Bryant over Evans but it's not fair to compare at this point because Evans was placed on IR. We don't know what we have on him yet.

I'm just saying, I think the overall knock within this thread is over exaggerated. It's not the biggest of deals at this point.

I think the better knock is what we didn't do at CB in the draft.

Verett, E.J. Gaines, I would still take Darqueze Dennard too.

Matty Jets likes this.
  4. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

As someone mentioned, your omission of touchdowns and GS undermines your argument. You're also ignoring their impact and role. Moncrief is a perfect example. He was a bench guy forced into action by Wayne's injury and produced immediately. Bryant was not active until week 7. With the exception of Lee, all of these players have made significant in game contributions and showed they can be players in this league. NONE of them are going to be cut, unlike the bums we drafted.

I would HAPPILY take any of these guys. They're all going to have careers in the league which is rare for this big of a class.

5. MikeSLTJ23

I'm not saying Idzik isn't also one of those blind squirrels, but to say the fans knew what they were talking about is ludicrous. Everyone's guessing. I thought Bryant would suck. I still don't think he's doing anything crazy there yet. It could all be attributed to Ben as well. But just because some people liked him or read about him somewhere, doesn't make the fans the right ones in that situation. Any fan can do this hindsight bullshit. I thought Patrick Willis was going to be a star. I was right. I thought Deangelo Williams would be a star. I was right for a few weeks. I thought Derrick Strait was gonna be a star. I couldn't have missed the mark by more. We all get shit right and wrong, and a GM is no different. They're just more educated on the topic and have to rely on their scouting department.

I stand by the thought that it's way too early to cut Idzik loose because we're in a great financial situation for next year. He didn't overpay for overrated FAs this year. He had a poor draft, despite the fact that so many fans were actually happy with Pryor and Amaro. I wasn't and I still want to see him stick around. Let the guy try to put his plan in place before we crucify him, especially because spending that FA money would have put us in a worse situation financially and strapped us with underwhelming FAs. Maybe we'd win a couple extra games which hurts us for next year's draft. I'm not saying I want us to lose because I hate that logic. However, if we're obviously not a playoff caliber team, then why would you want to break the bank to stay middle of the road.

JetBlue likes this.
  6. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

||MeanDean|| you missed Hurns in your list. Gabriel, too, but I can excuse any GM for missing on Gabriel. He had good stats but not great stats at a very low profile university.

That being said, I still don't understand why Bryant made it out of the second round. Dude is very similar to Josh Gordon.

Also, like Josh he was unavailable during the first 6 weeks of the season, lol.

7. IIMeanDeanII

No sir.. You are missing the point.

We have.. Decker, Harvin, Kerley. The need to draft one of those guys was negated once we traded for Harvin. If you would have had this argument a couple weeks ago, I probably would be more inclined to agree. As it is now, I'm not.

Those other stats don't mean anything, the stats I put up don't mean anything other than they are contributing to their teams. Yet, they are not earth shattering for their team. It's a moot point.

8. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

There's nothing moot about it. I love Harvin's talent probably more than anyone in this forum but the guy is a complete eggshell. Kerley is not a starting caliber nfl receiver. The point I am making is we had a glaring hole at receiver and Idzik skipped over a slew of great prospects for Jalen Saunders who wasn't that good in college and is the size of an 8th grader. There's no hindsight needed to know it was a horrible move by a horrible GM.

9. IIMeanDeanII

Well.. The silver lining is that this years draft should have a lot of amazing prospects in the first half of the draft as well. Specifically at WR and CB. We'll see what happens.

Umphpool likes this.
  10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I really want Cooper, but if we keep Harvin it will be less likely we draft him. I would love a player like Sammie Coates in Rd 2, since he has cooled off slightly with the other Auburn receivers emerging. Greene, FSU, is another WR in rd 2 that could be a possibility, one of the most solid receivers in this draft.

almbleamal likes this.
  11. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

We can still draft Cooper. Can we keep Harvin for 2015 without committing long term? Decker and Harvin miss games.

There's a chance we can get Greene in the early third, no?

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Each time, I think about missing out on all the good wide receivers from this draft.

[​IMG]

DAMNIT IDZIK LOOK AT ALL THAT MONEY YOU GREEDY FUCK

BigSnacks54 likes this.
  13. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

Mike Evans - Beast
    Benjamin - Beast
    Cooks - Beast
    Beckham - Beast
    Matthews - Beast
    J Brown - Beast
    Watkins - Beast
    Martavis - Beast

Robinson - Solid
    Landry - Solid
    Moncrief - Looking solid
    Davante Adams showing promise

I WILL SAY THIS 100000X WE SUCK BECAUSE WE MISS ON TOO MANY DRAFT PICKS. Pryor is not looking good at all.

14. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Drafting an extra slot receiver with a 4th round pick was a stupid move when we had Kerley there, period. I don't think Bryant would have anywhere near his current level of production on the Jets, but I'd rather take a high-ceiling guy in the 4th. Worst case scenario, he'd be another Stephen Hill - project WR bust. Best case scenario, you get a guy who looks like a prototypical #1 WR.

If your draft strategy is to horde a ton of picks rather than trading up for premium talent, you have to be willing to go for more high-risk high-reward guys with some of those mid-round picks. A guy with Bryant's physical characteristics has a high potential ceiling. I was surprised he went as low as he did - I had him higher than Montcrief.

15. MikeSLTJ23

You just overused the hell out of the word "beast".

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

John Brown for the Cardinals is so much fun to watch.

17. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

As good as Bryant has looked, he wouldn't be that good here..... We have no QB..... They have Big Ben a very good QB....... They have Antonio Brown and Markus Wheaton taking pressure off him..... We don't...... I could go on but I won't.....

Matty Jets likes this.