Good McNight, Joe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Honestly, that is the same as saying if the Vikings lose Adrian Peterson, their running game is in trouble. Or the Titans lose Johnson, or MJD goes down...etc...

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Like I said, it's going to be very difficult for him to see the active roster this season based on the fact that we're carrying 2 FB's and have a ton of talent at RB. I doubt Leon as a rookie would have seen the field at this point in the season for THIS team.

Greene didn't do much at the beginning of last season either. It took an injury to Leon before he really saw the field. And that was without carrying 2 FB's.

We get it junc, you're sad because Leon is gone.

3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

you are clueless ... im done

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

And what exactly is Leon doing in Seattle? He is barely getting on the field on offense, and that is behind such stalwarts (sarcasm) as Justin Forsett and Julius Jones (who is not as good as his brother Thomas). So far....11 carries for 29 yards...2.6ypc.

He has made his impact on the returns last week for sure, but has done little to nothing running.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Junc must have some sad pathetic life if all he does is argue with posters on TGG.com and Finheaven.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Comin from someone who has posted what you have in this thread I take that as a great compliment- thank you!

I do, I only wish I had your life. I wish I knew nothing and just attacked posters- that would be fun!

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

You have the absolute WORST theories on this board.

Go ahead and get your next 6 posts. We'll all throw a party for you once you reach 30,000. Congratulations.

8. ........

........ Trolls

He also passed the test with flying colors PRIOR to his failure. He ran it two weeks prior and passed it easily. That day really was an aberration.

9. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not sure Leon would be trusted with touches right now in our offense either. If he's only able to muster 2.5 YPC, chances are Schotty would still be waiting for his leg to look better before implementing him in the offense. Why don't we wait and see when Leon is actually able to contribute on offense and when McKnight is trusted enough to hit the active roster before we assume that we've lost all of the production Leon would bring? The way he's running, you're suggesting we seriously miss the 200 - 250 yards Leon would bring this season...and the extra downs that his failure to move the ball would necessitate for our other backs.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I think at this point we can stop comparing McKnight to Leon in any way, shape or form at least until McKnight sets foot on a field. Leon has done more already since breaking his leg than McKnight may ever do. I hope I'm wrong, he's a Jet, but this move isn't looking any better now than it did on draft day, worse actually. You can base your argument on what you hope happens or on what has happened and is currently happening. I choose the latter. People can bitch about Leon's YPC or whatever, it doesn't matter. He won the game for his team the way he used to win games for us. Wins are the stat that matters, not YPC inside the tackles or whatever.

11. ........

........ Trolls

The problem is, there's no reason to use Leon's KOR abilities to compare him to McKnight in the first place. McKnight was never going to be our KOR. That's Brad Smith's role, and he's not a huge step down from Leon. All we have are the run stats, and I absolutely believe McKnight right now could replace the 2.5 YPC that Leon is getting on the field. Like you said, though, there's no real basis for comparison until he sets foot on the field. It just seems foolish to use the former in order to suggest that we made a mistake in letting Leon go. It was the right move.

12. nyjunc

Maybe not this moment as they would be woprking him back into the O slowly like Seattle but soon. We'll see Leon's touches go up in the coming weeks and months.

Instead of attacking you really should pay attention so that in future debates you might sound intelligent.

13. nyjunc

McKnight barely averaged 2.5 YPC in preseason, you think he'd do it in the reg season?

No matter what excuses are given for him it's a bad sign that he failed on the 1st day of TC. if he cannot handle the pressure of TC how can we expect him to handle the presssure of games? It was inexcusbale for a skill position player fighting to change his perceptiopn after throwing up at rookie camp to fail his test at TC.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The argument is moot because Ryan isn't going to let McKnight on the field this year unless he is forced to by injury or performance circumstances. Ryan's not even letting Greene get many touches because of his propensity to fumble in key situations. He's definitely not going to let a raw rookie who had multiple performance issues in camp on the field.

If Ryan could go back in time and keep Thomas Jones I think it's pretty clear he'd do that.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Behind our first team line? I absolutely do.

It was a mistake, obviously. No one is excusing that he failed, we're explaining that he wasn't out of shape. He was tired from overtraining, trying TOO hard to shift that perception. His entire brief tenure as a Jet, he's been bouncing around between extremes. They're working to find that middle. The differences in training regimes for a rookie is one reason why it's tough to judge them before the team really gets its hands on them.

That's a much more compelling argument IMO than the Leon one. If we were going to keep someone just to limit carries for LT and Greene, Jones would have been the MUCH better choice. Damien Woody on his regular Tuesday night appearance on Late Hits last night said that the team wants to get back to its ground and pound mentality. If that's true, a 3rd back would certainly help. Of course, through 3 games, we only have 82 rush attempts. That puts us on pace for 437 on the season, or 170 fewer than all of last season. Granted, that doesn't account for increased PC out of the backfield, but that still more than accounts for the "lost touches" Leon would have given in junc's world.

If we want to return to or approximate the number of carries we had last year, TJ would have been a better choice for this offense. The way the offense is operating right now, though, we don't need either one.

16. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I brought up Leon's carries because Junc expects McKnight to replace Leon in terms of carries on the field as well as returns. The return game for the Jets has been fine, no TDs yet, but Brad Smith has been more than capable on KRs, Leon was never outstanding on Punt Returns for whatever reason.

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

In Leon's defense the Seahawks aren't exactly tearing it up on the ground. Like we said when LT arrived he we thrive behind our line.

In 3 games Leon has only gotten 11 touches, but that could be because he hasn't shown the coaching staff that he deserves more. Leon earned more touches here by his great ST play so I'm curious to see how they handle him going forward.

As our team is presently constructed I do not see a role for Leon, keeping Brad Smith in on as many plays as possible is a good thing. Leon was the LT of our team, now LT is the LT of our team and so far I'm extremely pleased with the move.

If we needed McKnight right now for anything I'd be pissed but we don't so let him learn from one of the best and hope it sinks in.

18. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

there is no reason to go back to ground and pound. Right now we are almost a 50/50 perfect balance in rushing and pass attempts. that what you want. you want that balance. you don't wanna wear down our RBs from over carries.

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

And Sanchez barely made a dent in Preseason, now he's 6/0 in TD/INT. What's your point?

Oh, and do you know who was the star running back in the 2006 preseason? Cedric Houston. Where is he now?

20. nyjunc

Now it's the OLs fault? Greene is averaging 3.5 w/ our starters, you think McKnight is going to come close to Greene?

I don't buy the overtraining excuse. he has many chances left to prove this year was a fluke but I am not buying any excuses for his failing the test.

If we kept Jones we wouldn't have gotten LT. Jones and LT are tied together, I think if we went back in time they would have kept Leon and signed LT.