Glennon or Mallett

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 4, 2015.

?

Who would you rather the Jets bring in this offseason

Poll closed Mar 4, 2015.
  1. Mike Glennon

58.6%
  2. Ryan Mallett

41.4%
  1. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Agree. Bradford has the ability. I remember when brees was a free agent after an injury. I'd rather gamble on Bradford

2. JACKSONVILLE JET

I chose Mallett and that is only because I had no other choices. But the reason I chose him between the 2 of them is because he will not cost anything to obtain, except $.

3. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

What has Ryan Mallet done?

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Who cares?

1. He hasn't screwed up yet like Geno has
    2. He is bigger than Rothlisberger so would be hard to tackle
    3. He has a cannon for an arm

5. jetsfan06

jetsfan06 Member

Not that I want either of these guys. I don't they both seem to suck. Why would we want someone else's sucky QB? We already have our own.

But the Patriots were committed to Mallett to cut Brian Hoyer and let Mallett be the only backup for 3 seasons. Then the year before his final contract season they drafted another backup QB. Not that, that means either Mallett or Jimmy G are anything other than meh backups as there are plenty of terrible backups in this league. But it's pretty easy to see the reason why the Patriots moved on from Mallett. His contract was expiring and I'm sure he didn't want to spend 3 more years backing up Tom Brady, even the worst of the worst want a chance to play and would sign with another team willing to give them a chance to play.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well NEP let him go and drafted Jimmy Garapollo using a 2nd round pick. There had been rumors last year that Cleveland under previous management wanted Mallette and he had excellent value. But last season they traded Mallette to Houston for next to nothing, a 2016 conditional 6th or 7th pick.

7. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

What's the fascination with eithor of theses guys? don't get it.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Latest rumor from Adam Schein's show today is that Cleveland is looking to trade for Gannon.
    Without a question, I would try hard to trade for Sam Bradford, that is IMO the very best option. The Rams of course might think otherwise

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I voted for Mallet primarily so I could see the vote totals, but I also like him over Glennon because he probably wouldn't cost the Jets a draft pick or picks. Glennon most likely would. You should either have other choices at QB or have a c option "neither." I don't think we can afford to sign two vet QBs. Mallet might be good competition, but I'm not sure he can beat out Geno. I'm not that high on Glennon, but he might be able to beat out Geno. Either Matt Moore or Shaun Hill would give the team more consistent, steady, smart play at the QB position. With Moore or Hill, Geno and Mariota, the Jets would have a good QB depth situation. Neither Mallet, Geno and Mariota nor Glennon, Geno and Mariota is as good.

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Gotta look into all options at QB

For Glennon, it's this: he's a young QB who has shown very well as a starter through 19 starts in his two seasons. He has a lot of tools (arm, accuracy), but got a raw deal in Tampa and can probably be had for a low round pick this year or next. Sounds like a good option to me

11. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Bradford would cost multiple picks, with at least one of them being a higher pick. He is also injury-prone. That's the last thing the Jets need from a new starter. They might as well just save the draft picks and start Geno if that's their solution at QB. If Bradford was a FA, it might be worth taking the risk, but not with having to trade draft picks to get him. Sorry, but that's just foolish imo.

12. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry, but that's not true at all. Matt Moore or Shaun Hill would be better than either Locker or Bradford, and wouldn't cost draft picks. Bradford can't stay healthy and would still cost at least one high draft pick, and maybe multiple picks.

13. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

Of the 2, I'm going with Mallet. Hes the more vetted of the 2, and for what its worth sat under Tom Brady all be it for a short time. He's already earned a starting job once over Fitzpatrick. It does worry me that he had a pectoral injury that ended his season, how ever Glennon got benched. I always want the the guy that's gonna TAKE the starting job, Mallets done it before so between the 2 he's the one I'm giving a shot to compete for the starting job.

14. NCJetsfan

I just don't understand how anyone can want Bradford. Does he have talent? Undoubtedly. The thing is, the Jets aren't looking for their long-term solution at QB. They're looking for a stopgap. What good is a stopgap QB if he is hurt and can't play. Not only has Bradford shown to date that it's highly unlikely that he can stay healthy and play a full season, but just as importantly, he would probably cost at least a 2nd round pick, and more likely multiple picks. The Jets plain and simple cannot afford to give away draft picks for a stop gap QB. That's insane and makes zero sense. How foolish would Mac look if he gave St. Louis our 2nd and 5th round picks for Bradford and then he doesn't he even make it through preseason and is gone for the season? We'd still have Geno starting and wouldn't have two key draft picks to help build the team around him. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.

TurkJetFan and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Manziel is 50/50 to never start a full season in the NFL. Cleveland will punt on him in a hurry if he screws up the rehab or worse for them if he sucks at QB.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I might same the same about Matt Moore. Now, after throwing less than 30 total passes in 3 years I am not sure. In regards to Bradford he will likely not cost a draft pick as he is due $13 million in salary this year. Either he will be cut or he will be restructure at a lower salary with only a small chance at a trade. He has said he wants to restructure and come back with the Rams. The Rams have said they want him back but they have also said they want to sign another QB. The problem the Rams have is the FA and draft QB market is quite weak. Who will be that QB they will sign? If they do sign another QB then they may not have room to pay Bradford what he would want. In other words he may want to come back but he might be better signing an incentive laden deal where he can go in as the starter. The Rams with their defense are an attractive option. Certainly he is not going to make anywhere near the $13 million he is due for 2015.I don't know why in the world he would accept a trade rather than pick his own team as there is no way they will pay him the $13 million is due. I agree Bradford is a long shot but I think your wrong that he will cost a draft pick especially a high draft pick. Locker will not cost a draft pick as you say because he is a FA as the Titans declined his 5th year option in 2014. In regards to Sean Hill I cannot argue with you that he is a decent stopgap but he is also 35 years old and I would much rather have Bradford or Locker as they both have the potential to still be in the league in two years.

18. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

2 solid options. Citing Mallett's lack of starting experience doesn't seem to be a fair criticism as he was obviously not going to start behind an elite QB. In his one very brief appearance with Houston he looked to have the talent of a starting QB in this league.
    As for Glennon, I think he also can be a capable starting QB in this league. It still boggles my mind that Lovie Smith chose to go with Josh McCown .
    Both would be projects and experience some growing pains, I doubt anymore painful than it would be with Geno however.

As for Bradford/Locker:
    I think Bradford's injuries have been very flukey, whereas Locker just appears to be made of glass. Given all 4 of these options assuming it's at little to no cost I would take Bradford.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think there are going to be trade up rumors about Mariota for a half dozen teams or more before we're through. He's the sexy prospect and any team with big questions at QB is going to have a rumor like this started at some point.

I'm thinking we'll get rumors from Bills, Jets, Browns, Texans, Eagles, Cardinals and Rams at least. We'd get rumors from TB and Tennessee also except both of them are in a likely position to just take him.

20. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

The real question is if Mariota falls to us, do we pull the trigger on a deal for Nick Foles? I certainly would.