Give me your ideal mock draft Rds 1-4 and off-season signing

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rsc1589, Oct 6, 2014.

1. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

No Ivory is nothing compared to Todd Gurley. Did you enjoy having Curtis Martin on the Jets because he probably has the potential to be a hall of fame running back, no joke.
    We are a run first team with a lousy QB. We now have weapons on the outside, a solid defense, our running game is vital to our success. Upgrade the O-line with Iupati and add in the best RB prospect to come out since Adrian Peterson, I think its a recipe for success.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Obviously we don't know who teams will lock up before they hit FA or who might be released but assuming they were available these would be my signings. Honestly a lot of what we do in FA and the draft comes down to how comfortable the team is with Geno and Harvin. I think Decker is a legit #1 and Harvin a legit #2 but that is just my opinion.

QB: Brian Hoyer; he's going to want to start and he's going to want starters money, much like Geno and Harvin he is auditioning for a job either in Cleveland or somewhere else. If he is the answer he'll never hit FA and will be locked up by Cleveland but if he's not resigned for any reason he's a guy I look at. Honestly regardless of if Geno is here or not we should look at him.

OLB: Justin Houston: #1 priority assuming we still have Rex or run a 3-4. Could be the best player to hit FA this year. Fills a void the Jets have lacked since the days of Mo Lewis ; an outside pass rusher. KC might apply the franchise tag to him but this would be an immediate impact player and if he hits FA with the big assumption we are still running the 3-4 this is the guy.

CB: Byron Maxwell; I think he is a guy who is going to command more than what he is worth but he's a guy who would instantly upgrade our secondary. He would likely be our #1 but we have to keep the faith that Milliner returns healthy (unlikely) and the same goes for McDougle (also who the F knows at this point)

OG: Mike Iupati priority #2, he'll be a hot commodity as he's one of the best guards in the game but would be a great signing. Instantly helps out the OL and allows us to send Willie walking false start Colon on his way.

Assuming this was what we signed in FA it gives us a lot of flexibility in the draft. We could go quite a few directions, I think it's unrealistic because I don't see this much cap space for all these guys to be signed but let's for the sake of discussion say Idzik pulled it off.

Draft:

The big question will be is Geno the answer, for now I'll say yes he is and draft based on that

Round 1:
    Amari Cooper WR Alabama; the guy is the best WR in the draft. He has been unbelievable this season and has all the tools to be a monster in the NFL. I know I said Decker is a #1 and Harvin is a #2 but a QB can never have enough weapons. It's been so long since this team has had multiple weapons at WR. Harvin has been banged up a lot and Decker has been hurt a bit this season so adding Cooper to the mix eliminates the what if one of them go down or if Harvin becomes a headache.

Round 2
    Bernardrick McKinney LB Mississippi State. This guy is having a great season, he can get to the QB and play both in and outside but I see him as an inside guy in the NFL. Imagine him and Houston both rushing the QB? Whoa...... and McKinney can also drop back in coverage. I'm letting David Harris walk so this is my ideal upgrade. Adding McKinney and signing Houston give the Jets maybe the best front 7 in the NFL. Honestly if McKinney is around in the 2nd round I'd be surprised, he's possibly the SEC defensive player of the year and usually they go extremely high (unless they are gay)

Round 3
    Tyler Sambrailo OT Colorado State: An interesting kid, is athletic but doesn't play against the best competition week in and week out. I think he's a good RT prospect and wouldn't be thrown in to start immediately as we have a starting RT. I also think he's athletic enough to play guard so if we don't think Winters or Adoushi is the answer we can throw Sambrailo over there.

Round 4
    Eric Murray CB Minnesota; We do not have enough depth at CB as we have seen they suck. We don't know if Milliner or McDougle will ever be healthy again and Kyle Wilson is likely done in New York after this season Murray would be a good depth pick but could likely start as a #2 in the NFL.

3. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

It all depends on where we pick at the end of the day. If we win a few games a pick #13 I would have no problem with Gurley.

Y'all need to realize Gurley is Adrian Peterson like talent. Duke Johnson in rd 2 could work too. But don't sit here and say we don't "need" gurley.

CJ2k is over the hill and Ivory has taken a beating this year, but is an excellent RB. Is it the right pick? no. But Gurley should 150% be one of the guys we bring in for final workouts.

Too much to be determined though.

BleedGreen4ever likes this.
  4. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Gurley is an immense talent, without question. But I don't see us taking him unless the board has been pillaged of our top positional options when our draft pick rolls around and we can't get good value in a trade-down. We've still got need at OL, OLB, WR, CB, and QB.

The Harvin trade changes a lot. Simply put, barring a bunch of 100+ yard games, we're going to dump him or renegotiate the contract downward. No way is Izdik paying 10m/year for an injury-prone slot receiver with past issues. I'm guessing that Izdik keeps Harvin, and renegotiates down to a ~6-8m/year deal if it looks like we're keeping him - taking a look at the contracts of other top slot-type receivers (Victor Cruz, Welker) for a general price range. Before the Harvin trade I'd been thinking strongly about Amari Cooper in the first, but he and Harvin are both space-oriented playmakers. Cooper is an inch or two bigger, but if we're keeping Harvin I suspect we're more likely to be looking for a contested-catch type receiver. If we're drafting high, DGB could be the ultimate high risk/reward pick in the 2nd round. 6'6 guys with his speed just don't come around often.

We desperately need a veteran corner. Bryon Maxwell could be the guy to get that done for us. Justin Houston would give us a stud pash-rusher and fill a long-term vacancy at OLB, but I suspect his asking price will be too high for Izdik - I also think we'll face very steep market competition for him, specifically from the Jaguars. Mike Iupati is slightly more of a possibility for us - he'll be cheaper than Houston and our guards have been a more flagrant weakness than our OLBs this season.

To me, the draft strategy hinges on a lot of things. Geno's maturation as a QB, our draft position, how Harvin works out, etc. Harvin throws another big variable into things so we'll have to see more of how the season plays out.

5. Barry the Baptist

That's really it right there....of course it will also depend on who our head coach is and what defense we play. I don't see us go after Houston if we are running a 4-3

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

its becoming clear that the 2 drafts under idzik are subpar which puts us in a major bind moving forward. Not only are the usual positions of need in play (OLB, CB) but we also need to address positions along the offensive line....

the cowboys rebuilt there OL and look what has happened. the jets rebuilt 2/5ths of it in manginis 1st year. They absolutely need to get a blue chip guard AND tackle next draft. that likely means spending 2 of their 1st 3 picks on OL but i see no other way.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The Jets need a big, explosive deep threat. Kevin White fits that bill. I need to look at the other big, physical deep threats around the country but White is the exact type of big, 0utside guy that this O desperately needs. Decker is the only big WR on the team at 6'3 and he's a top possession WR. The Jets are still lacking that big gamebreaker at wideout. If the Jets don't re-sign Harvin, then WR definitely needs to be addressed early.

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Matt Ryan in a trade
    Amari Cooper WR
    AJ Johnson LB

9. Barry the Baptist

The Jets don't need to resign Harvin, he's under contract until 2018 but obviously will be stay healthy and will he produce are the real keys.

I like Austin Hill from Arizona, he's not as big or as fast as White but he has always been productive and he's an excellent downfield blocker.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Hill and White are the same size, both 6'3 210-215. I'm all about guys who have a good history of production in college. However the Jets just don't need another guy with average skills at WR. They need a dynamic playmaker on the outside. If they already had one of those types, then I'd be all for a guy like Hill as he's very solid and could be another Decker type. Yet his game doesn't translate at the next level the way Kevin White's does. If the Jets are going to focus on a receiver early in the draft then hopefully it's White or someone with comparable gamebreaking speed and ability.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

No thanks to Matt Ryan.

12. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Hill is old for a college WR. No thanks.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Jay Ajayi is Chris Ivory with hands. Considering how RBs continue to be devalued in the draft and how deep this RB class is, he may be available as late as the 4th round.

14. Ozymandias

He was probably mentioned somewhere in here already but Shaq Thompson is a very intriguing prospect.

15. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you want Matt Ryan?

16. Ozymandias

Can't play outside of the dome.

17. b.reyes16

Probably the best comparison you can make. Kid has incredible balance and just enough speed to break one. I don't think you'll see him slip that far considering the successes of players with similar running styles recently (Lynch, AP, Ivory). I'd say he'll be had in the second.

18. b.reyes16

Ivory is no scrub. He's one of the best RB's in the league. I like Gurley, but he's not even the best running back in this draft.

19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Have to agree if we had a dome I'd take him but he can't play outside. He's proven that in NY against Giants multiple times.

At least not in America

#119 DoubleDecker87, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Actually Matt Ryan is the guy that Mariota reminds me of most, except with a bigger arm and much much much more mobile.

So yeah give me faster Matt Ryan with a stronger arm.

_