Giants Stadium: Drunk Driving Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by Section 227. Row 5, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's been a complete reversal from the 70's and 80's. The guy who killed my best friend in 1977 was let off with a warning by a judge, who it subsequently turned out had been arrested for DWI twice himself.

The guy who took out my mother's brother's family in 1994 wound up doing 2 years of a 2 to 10 sentence. I haven't bothered tracking him since he got out because I'm not interested in breaking the law. He had two previous arrests for DWI (90's were an enforcement drive) at the time he snuffed them all out and in my heart I know he's still drinking and driving.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Yeah but see, here I disagree. People will circumvent the rules by simply having a "buddy" buy for him. He brings back two beers to his seat and gives them to his already drunk friend.

I think the answer is to have more state police at the exit ramps. You know how slow the traffic is right there because you have to wait for the cars in front of you to move onto the exit lane, so you have cops right there, maybe even asking somebody who looks loaded to roll down their window so they can ask them if they're okay. If the bastard slurs his words and looks loaded, out of the car he comes for a test.

You do this enough at the beginning of the season and you'll make a hell of a lot of people think twice about dong it.

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

this lawsuit should be thrown out of court. How could the stadium know who's drunk and who isn't? It isn't like a bar.
    The responsibility should be on the idiot who got plastered and then got behind the wheel of his car.

The problem is, every game there are probably a bunch of people driving home drunk. The vast majority of fans drive to the games, and many of them drink at least a beer or two.

#23 Yisman, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  4. Section 227. Row 5

But lawyers look for the deepest pocket. The schlubb who was behind the wheel is probably a worthless degenerate with no assets. Then again... there's Giants Stadium. AHA! EUREKA!

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

yeah, that's often the motivation for these lawsuits: go after the company with the money.

6. Br4d

It's a really hard call on how to handle drinking and driving at public events. The cost of appropriate enforcement is huge. To do it right you need to rebuild the accessways to the stadium such that traffic can pass freely but there is also room to pull over a thousand cars after every event as they exit the site. Do this randomly and then get really medieval on the people who fail the breathalyzer.

Take away their cars. Take away their licenses. Take away their season tickets. Make them walk to the bus stand that you have built (expensive) solely to carry drunk drivers to the booking station where their status as criminals is formalized. Inform their employer that they have been arrested for drunk driving. Get them into the 12 step program to rebuild their hopefully shattered lives.

Personally I think it's better and more merciful just to shoot em.

7. burkettbeststp

burkettbeststp New Member

I didn't read everyone's post but I read a couple. Plan and simple don't sell beer period. Most everyone on this board goes to the game to enjoy it. Will I have a drink while tailgating yes. Do I get drunk no. Because I want to go and enjoy the game. People who do get drunk ruin the game. They become obnoxous and rude and at times not fun to sit around during a game.

We all buy our tickets to enjoy the game and enjoy it with whoever we go with. Not to get drunk into a fight and so on. Does it happen yes and that is what makes going to a game uncomfortable. Go there root for the Jets and have fun. Take alcohol away if people can't be responsible.

That being said alcoho won't go away so be responsible. Know your limit. If you are 21 or older you should know your limit.

8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

just from my experience.....i am 20 by the way .......drinking and driving is awful for kids my age......i hang out and see almost every kind of kid at parties or wherever (straight a's to druggies to jocks, whatever) either here at school or back home and everyone for the most part just doesn't realize the consequences or doesn't care about DWI....my parents have always been cool with me drinking around this age but they have hammered into my brain never to drink and drive and i never will.....my dad always says he will reimburst me if i ever have to use a taxi no questions asked......

#28 King Koopa, Mar 28, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  9. Section 227. Row 5

It might come to that one of these days. I've got people who sit near me who show up during the national anthem (which in itself pisses me off, but that's a whole other story) and they're loaded to the gills. Then, throughout the game, they're constantly up and down, walking by and in front of me because they have to go get another beer or go urinate, one of the two. They're usually the ones who get beligerant and start altercations too, which isn't surprising.

Yeah, I drink in the parking lot before a game. I used to drink a lot more but then I realized I wasn't seeing the game, I was spending all my time in the men's room and coming off a buzz. So now I have several drinks, maybe as many as 3 beers, and then that's it. I cut myself off before I enter the stadium. Now I have a little buzz, I'm eating some food, and by halftime I'm feeling fine and drinking water. And now, (Heaven's to Mergatroid), I can actually watch the freakin' game and see the plays!

10. Gator

Gator Active Member

...and you don't see how this can be abused by law enforcement? Hey, there's my ex-wifes boyfriend. I think I'll execute him and get my drunk partner to blow into the breathalyser for the coverup.

C'mon, dude.

11. Section 227. Row 5

I think he's just being over the top to drive his point home.

12. Br4d

Some day I'll participate in a real discussion of law enforcement or the perversion thereof in the country. Today's not the day though. :)

13. Section 227. Row 5

Besides, if I ran into my ex-wife's boyfriend I'd probably kiss the son of a bitch for taking her off my hands for me.

14. Gator

Gator Active Member

You're right, but he has said he's completely serious about this and has reiterated a couple of times now about the whole execution thing.

I vote that we just throw Tom Brady in jail until this is all sorted out.

15. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I get what you are saying. I just don't like it when people say things along the lines of "Look, when I was young, I did some crazy and stupid things. But things have changed and now we should ban those things." With drunk driving, I agree that there should be more enforcement. But this type of logic is used with drugs, drinking in general, sex, college partying, etc. and it pisses me off. That's all I'm saying.

16. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Are people seriously blaming the people at the meadowlands for serving beer?! you gotta be kidding me. I dont care how drunk you are, no one puts a gun to your head and makes you buy more beer. No one makes you get into your car and hit someone. Its time that people take responsiblity and stop blaming everyone for their problems. If you drink and drive then only one person can be blamed!

17. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

QUOTE: "Either way, I will use my limited law school knowledge to figure this out. First of all, if the little girl was at the game with a guardian, the suit will fail because there is a contract on every ticket where the team basically makes you waive any suit. Then there's the issue of cause. You can sue a bartender who serves a really drunk person who then goes out and runs someone over. But you have to be able to prove all this. You have to prove that this specific driver was showing visible signs of being too drunk and you also have to show he didn't have any additional drinks that he snuck in or in the parking lot after the game. In short, these cases don't succeed often but, in the interests of avoiding bad press, people could always get a nice settlement."[/QUOTE]

I'm a federal prosecutor in Washington. The contract printed on the ticket is unenforceable - it's called a "contract of adhesion." I'm not a fan of soliciting new lawsuits and generally oppose advertisements. Here, though, they seem only to be asking for witnesses related to an existing suit - which is OK.

My view on this is that fans get way too drunk in the Jets' parking lot. This is with full knowledge of the team and the operators of the lots. I can see some culpability where they then allow known drunk drivers to get on the roads without any checking whatsoever.

18. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Good argument. Unfortunately for you, our legal system has a concept called "proximate cause." Basically it's one of the many legal fictions designed to help poor people recover from rich people. It ain't so bad.

19. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

What, you want personal accountability? Hah! (Yeah, it would be nice.)

20. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

My understanding is that contracts of adhesion are usually upheld like those "I Agree" things you always click on software.