Geno's game 1 performance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Noam, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

Minus some gadget plays, I loved the offense Mornhinweg was running. He seemed to be giving Geno multiple options, he had Geno rolling out of the pocket, and we had a screen game! Obviously this was no greatest show on turf, but it actually looked intelligently thought out for the personnel we had on the field.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I had predicted 250 yds, 2 TD's and 2 INT for Geno. He really did a nice job grinding out a win when he could have easily been lulled into making more turnovers when the Jets got down.

I only saw bits and pieces of the 3rd and 4th qtr as I was in the airport waiting to get on a flight. After the 1st quarter he really settled in nicely. We need a running game. It was pathetically futile from the parts of the game I saw.

3. DanR

DanR Active Member

Anyone notice how well Geno performed when the offense sped up (no huddle)? All that silly Wildcat stuff was basically reducing 3 downs to 2 downs. It essentially gave Geno less downs to play with.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Wow that's a compelling stat anyway you slice it. As we've seen in this league, you need a guy at the QB position who's going to make plays and win games in order to be an elite team. Not just a QB who doesn't make mistakes. Geno showed today that he's got some playmaker in him.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Your expectations must have been thru the roof, explaining why you downplay Geno's first performance.

My opinion is, he greatly exceeded most expectations. He got some breaks, yes (TB had WAY too many penalties and their 1st quarter was horrendous with all the helmet difficulties and the like), but given a ground game that was stuffed really well by TB, he still maintanied his poise.

His passes were spot on in both accuracy and speed, and his ability to leave the pocket and see the running yards was something completely unexpected. He adds a whole other dimension to the game if he perfects this.

I would have been very happy with his performance if we had lost the game. The fact that we won on the flukish penalty is icing on the cake.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

oh. you didn't think it was a late hit?

7. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Good points.

8. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

he also got his team out of the huddle quickly. talk in
    TC was that he was having trouble with this.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Goodbye Mark. Ditch the headband, get yourself a haircut and a shave and get ready for your next job interview.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

For the Montreal Alouettes

11. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Geno looked good. Future is bright. I also remember thinking the same thing after Sanchez's first game against the Texans in 09.

12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

If that was a Jet late hitting, you would have been killing him for his stupidity.

13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I am really impressed with how long he hung in there before deciding to run. Normally young QB's that can run try and tuck the ball and take off at the 1st sign of trouble rather than letting the pocket form and letting routes develop.

Today should have made it clear to all that Geno is not a running QB - rather a QB who is capable of running.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Another thing it watch is on the Geno run where he got hit with the late hit, the whole bench jumps up and down celebration and Kenrick Ellis I thik has a great rection where he starts flexing in celebration. I just got the TV angle of it and was paying attention to the background and the bench goes crazy, it's funny to watch.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Geno continues to play well, the FO can't make the same mistakes they did with Sanchez. Upcoming draft, get more young weapons and shore up the offensive line.

Defensively, we need a LB and Safety at most at this juncture - offense needs to be the priority going forward.

I was impressed with Geno today though - hopefully the CS doesn't restrict his game and just expands it. No color coded wrist band for Geno!

16. Section 227. Row 5

That might be a stetch. I was thinking more like the Melborne Kangaroos.

17. honestcl

honestcl Member

Some good, sensible comments on this thread but this one sums is up perfectly for me. I'm remembering that Houston game real well tonight. If we're on the cusp of two AFC Championship games a-la Sanchez's first two years, then I guess I'll take that....just as long as we win one of them this time around! :grin:

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Maybe he could hold the 1st down marker

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Jenny Vrentas ā€@JennyVrentas 14m
    Bucs DT Gerald McCoy was impressed by Geno Smith: "He stayed poised. I was sure when I was hitting him early on that he would get rattled."

Jenny Vrentas ā€@JennyVrentas 13m
    McCoy on Smith (cont.): "But the guy just kept sitting in there. Iā€™m like, 'Man, how many more times do I got to hit you?' "

This is good to read.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Mark has made, and will continue to make millions off us. I don't think he's too worried about any interview anytime soon. :)

That said, if Geno keeps this up, the team is his. A very good debut against a very stout defensive front and a all star caliber secondary.