Geno's game 1 performance

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Noam, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Member

Before the late hit, Geno ran it to the 46 yard line, Nick Folks career long is 56. There was 7 seconds left. We didnt need a hail mary. A quick out route for 7 yards puts Folk in a position to give it a shot.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Rex is right when he said Geno was able to contribute to the W with his legs. Instead of throwing the ball up with pressure he can run and convert 1st downs. Which says a lot in terms of preventing turnovers (mindless picks) and moving the chains. And Geno is correct in saying how it's a learning process because let's face it some of his decisions esp earlier in the game were horrible. One I felt was Marty's fault for calling a pass play when the Jets were deep in Bucs territory. Very good potential with this player. I went to the game yesterday and from the beginning to the end it was like a mystery tour. You really didn't know what to expect.

3. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

The point is, you can't expect a dumb ass penalty to save a chance to win. Yes, there were still 7 seconds left, so maybe you get a chance at a hail-mary. I know that when I saw him running to the sidelines, I thought the game was over, didn't you?

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

I dont want to turn this into a Cam Newton thread... but who expected the Panthers to make the playoffs? They were a possibility to make it as a wild card team, but no more than that.

Name me 3 players on their defense... Its not easy. Also, who does Cam have to throw to other than a 34 year old steve smith and an average TE in Greg Olsen? He has no run game other than himself, and his OL is pretty bad.

People expected the Saints to make the playoffs. Is Drew Brees just a stat padder because his team didnt make the playoffs or have a winning record?

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I never posted that WTF?

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

they didn't even compete for a playoff spot.

Steve Smith might be getting up there but he's still pretty damn good. Olsen is a good receiving TE, LaFell is not a bad #2. he doesn't have Manning talent but he didn't have 2012 NY Jets healthy talent either.

Defensivle Kuechly was the rookie of the year and is a beast, they have a very good pass rusher in Charles Johnson who they just gave a big contract too a year or 2 ago. I can't name a third but they have some talent- wait, Thomas Davis is a pretty good LB so there's 3:grin:

The Saints went through something no team has gone through before, they can be excused. Brees has made 2 title games, 1 SB and won a SB in NO for a franchise that had 1 playoff win all time before he got there.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cam Newton puts up big stats but he never rises to the occasion, dude always chokes. I'm positive about 50% of his statistics came in stat padding effort towards the end of the season.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Geno chose his spots to run really well. He wasn't looking to scramble immediately as seen on the Winslow pass before the TD for example. When he scrambled, the small sample size we have, he seemed very aware of the 1st down marker and he slid protecting himself! Just having the ability to do that can help this offense out a lot at extending drives

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Then obviously the talent wasn't as good as they thought it was, or maybe they were overrated. It's up to the FO to bring in talent until they are in a position to compete.

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

he runs looking to pass instead of looking to run

that keeps DB's and LB's at bay for a split second or two and allows him to either find a hole or get some yards

Geno just needs film to see things from a different view

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Extending the drives is what it should all be about on Thursday night. Extend the drives and put up points. You do that, you keep Brady off the field and your DEF rested, so that when he does take the field you can smack the hell out of the little wus.

We can win this one.

12. displacedfan

I won't go as far as your last statement, but extending drives is huge because we don't have any explosive players right now

I don't know if our WRs are gettign wide open down the field and Geno is missing them, or it's being covered, but that wasn't there in the TB game it seemed. Hopefully that's more available in the NE game, we need big plays.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I really do think we can win this one. What better time than right now?

Brady's favorites are all gone. Their DEF is suspect. They're banged up. Bill Belichick has no game film of Geno to speak of. He was planning on the same ole' Sanchez to lick his chops over, now that's all out the window.

Our DEF looked pretty stout for most of the day (except that one passing play). We stuffed the run pretty good. We pressured Freeman real good. Our special teams did well... Folk hits a 48-yarder.

Hell, the Bills had a pretty good shot at beating them yesterday for a while. They're not invincible, especially right now. If I'm the coach, that's what I'm drumming into their heads. We can do this. We can be 2-0. And who woulda thunk it?

14. displacedfan

I misread what you wrote, I thought you wrote we will win this one :) I agree we can win, and it's set up to be the least efficient NE offense in a while.

The Bills got a fumbled snap on the GL and returned a fumble for a TD. If we can grab points/escape from points like that, we have a very good shot. I said this in the other trade, I think we need 28 total points to win without our offense/ST giving up easy points/short fields. I'm not sure if our offense can get there

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

and further... a problem going back to last season as well.

16. jerseyjay14

17. jerseyjay14

no chance. if he ever did get a chance, it would likely be as a backup for a good team. not as a starter for a bad one.

the last thing teams with horrible QB play want is a turnover machine at quarterback. if they want a vet, it would be a carson palmer/drew bledsoe kind thing. guy who is at the tail end of his career who can give them stability for a year or 2 while they figure things out on their next franchise qb

not a QB who has failed to learn from his mistakes for 5 years and who is statistically the worst starter ever to start 50+ games

18. jerseyjay14

no, it isnt.

every team in the afc east knows he cant first hand. and all 31 other teams know he is awful, which is why there was no interest in the offseason for him

19. DanR

DanR Active Member

I dont get all this poise talk regarding Geno. He's taking over for Mr. Butt Fumble. The bar has been set pretty low.

Personally I thought he looked ok.

20. Tom

Tom Member

Everyone here thought he was below that bar though. Last week, the vast majority of people on this board said Sanchez was our best QB. This week many are singing a different tune.