Geno Smith Has To Be Perfect

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Sep 23, 2014.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Geno does not have to be perfect. If he was AVERAGE that would be a tremendous upgrade over anything we've had at the QB position since Favre's first half of 2008. It would be nice to see a little more intelligence at least, like the last play of the game. Fourth down you GOTTA give your receiver a chance to catch the ball inbounds, even if you risk yet another INT, who cares then? At the end of the game a ball out of bounds is just as bad as an INT.

74 likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Football intelligence. That's what Geno Smith has to have. Some players have amazing work ethic, but it just doesn't translate on the field.

3. NYJFan10

The days of QB's needing five years to develop are over now. Ryan - playoffs his rookie year and never been an issue. Flacco - playoffs his rookie year. Luck - playoffs his rookie year. Hell even RG3 and Sanchez made the playoffs their rookie year. The learning curve has decreased thanks to the modernization of college offenses and other factors that didn't exist years ago.

74 likes this.
  4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Considering where he was last year you have to have realistic expectations. He's showing progress. The mistakes were terrible and even in that game he did some good things. I think he can be a good QB.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  5. NYJFan10

He's played three s*itty defenses in a row, I'm not really impressed by his numbers. Although to be fair our WR core is also s*itty again thanks to Decker not being able to stay on the field.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Apparently the Bears' 3rd and 4th string DBs are better than our 1st team minus Decker.

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

If you put Geno on the Seahawks or the Eagles do you think he all of a sudden becomes a solid player? I don't think he would be that much better, if at all.

On the eagles, he could work exclusively out of the shotgun so that's good for him and they would put up more points becuz their playmakers are better, but their defense although I believe is underrated wouldn't be able to bail him out like ours does. The games are gonna be higher scoring and force more action on his end. That high paced offense is gonna lead to more mistakes from him. Foles is super accurate distributing the ball and has excellent footwork. that's why that offense can run so smooth. Geno is not nearly as accurate or smooth in the pocket. It could get a lot uglier than you'd imagine.

I think Geno would really struggle on the Seahawks. Smaller, no name receivers. They play really tight and mistake free to win, their pass pro has been very shaky in the past but Wilson's great scrambling ability hides it. Geno does not have close to the footwork or evadability of Wilson. Hawks like to take some shots deep, usually precise sideline throws because Wilson is very accurate. I don't think Geno could connect on these, seems like a lot of his balls near boundaries end up out of bounds or overthrown. Obviously they'd be doing different things with a different QB, probably turn those deep shots inside for example. I image it would not go well at all with Geno in there tho. That team would basically become us with a better running back and better defense.

Foles played well those 6 games tho. His per game production for his first 6 games was almost right on par with Wilson/Luck/RG3. He was about one TD (total, not per game) shy of being right there with those guys. I think him not getting the starting job was more of a political/bias thing. Remember they wouldn't even concede him as the starter until he shoved a record setting/tying 7TD perfect passer rating game in their face.

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

No, i'm not saying that Geno would be a much better player. I think there would be an improvement due to the talent that would be around him but not much better. But thats kinda my point in a way. People develop differently. Foles played well during those 6 games and Geno played well the final month of his rookie season. For some guys it might just come in flashes before it all gets put together. I'm not saying Geno is definitely the answer but I do know that Vick is most certainly not. I just dont think we should give up on Geno for Vick just yet.

If Geno continues to struggle then by all means bench him and look to draft a QB in next years draft. I just havent seen enough to warrant a benching yet IMO.

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Well this is kinda weird... Check it out:

That 4 game stretch to finish last year was Geno's career start #14-17.

Now, Foles had a game in '12 and also a game in '13 where he didn't start but took over for Vick in the late 2nd quarter each time. If we combine those two games and count it as one start then Foles' career starts #14-17 were on the same exact weeks as Geno's and over those weeks they both had a W, L, W, W record.

Let's compare...

Geno Smith: Career starts #14-17 (last 4 games 2013) Opp: OAK, CAR, CLE, MIA

68/116 (58%) 790 yds 4 TD 2 INT 5 Sck
    31 Att 186 yd rush 3 TD rush

Nick Foles: Career starts #14-17 (last 4 games 2013) Opp: DET, MIN, CHI, DAL

79/112 (71%) 1100 yds 8 TD 2 INT 11 Sck
    18 Att 76 yd rush 1 TD rush

2013 totals:

Smith: G 16 GS 16
    247/444 55.8% 3046yd 12 TD 21 INT 43Sck
    72 Att 366yd 6TD 8 Fum 4 Lost

Foles: G 13 GS 10
    203/317 64.0% 2891yd 27 TD 2 INT 28Sck
    57 Att 221yd 3 TD 4 Fum 2 Lost

10. legler82

While Foles is way better, it's kind of unfair to compare Geno to him when you consider the weapons they have to work with.

11. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I have idea let get some talent at wideout and then see what he can do. All we have to do is look at the good/great QB in the league then look at there WR' s.

12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

When your throwing mechanics are crap, you miss your reads, and throw the ball while jumping in the air; how does
    getting better receivers help that. It's not his teammates. It's him.

Big Blocker and 74 like this.
  13. legler82

I think Geno does a pretty good job with his reads. It's one of the few things that impress me about Geno considering how young he is. It's just that he's often late with the throws. That's probably due to the other things you mentioned which I really can't argue against.

74 likes this.
  14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Thats not hard to believe at all.. lol. Kerley excluded i think there's better WR cores in college football.

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

McCoy, DJax, Avant, Cooper, Celek

Ivory, Holmes, Kerley, Nelson, Cumberland

yea I hear that but the only big difference was DJax when you think abt it. McCoy obv an amazing back and Philly was the #1 rushing team in '13 but we were #6 so not like we were slouches, Powell and Ivory combined for abt 70 less rush yds than McCoy. Cooper was a reserve player his whole career before Foles, he had like 200 more yards last year than his career totals. Avant is a jag. Cumberland is better than Celek. Maclin was on IR. Even tho they lost DJax, their weapons this year are much better IMO.

16. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Cumberland isnt better than Celek get real.

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

yea he is. He's way faster - like by a whole 4/10 of a second, more agile, and can jump higher. They're the same height and weight.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I wonder if Smith would win a competition against Clemens. Assuming they were the same age, I doubt it.

The bolded part is the difference, imo.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Smith Fans think the competition he has seen so far this year is made up of Pro Bowlers.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

His Measurable's make him better? By that logic Stephen Hill>>>Eric Decker.