Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Rex NEEDS to win this year. He needs to win starting week one. Vick will be the starter week 1.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At least put some effort into it.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Q: Who had the fastest 40 time of any QB in NFL history (4.25)?

Hint: He can slam dunk a basketball from a standing position.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Peyton Manning

5. Footballgod214

winner!

6. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I don't think age has anything to do with it. If Smith does not have the playbook repertoire locked down and cannot execute the offense with at least 80% of the efficacy as Vick, he will not start. As long as winning games is a priority, the QB who clearly gives us the better chance of winning games will start. I do believe if Geno finishes camp and preseason having performed 90% as well as Vick or better (and by that I don't mean 90% better than Vick but at least not more than 10% worse than Vick) then Smith will claim the starting Job. Maybe the CS will grant Smith a 20% handicap allowance to win the job. Maybe he'll only get the benefit of a perceived tie.
    So my long winded answer to your question is because people and/or the CS believe Vick gives us a much better chance of winning games with the overall youth or age of our team not being a relevant factor.

It basically all comes down to what happens before game 1 against Oakland. Can you (or someone else) make me understand why people think an aging Vick won't start week 1 if he clearly outperforms Smith in camp/preseason?

#366 Altoona, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    Big Blocker likes this.
  7. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Not only do we have to look at it from Rex's perspective but we also have to look at it from Vicks. Vick was either the #1 or #2 rated fa qb ( depending on ur view of McCown). I guarantee u he didn't come here to be a backup and likely saw the Jets as his best opportunity to start. Also, when CJ2k signed on he was told by the coaches and front office that there will be a qb competition. Vick may have publicly stated that Geno is the starter but behind closed doors he is working his butt off so that he doesn't finish his career backing up two quarterbacks in consecutive years on different teams.

May the best man win

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i will concede this, but maintain you have a weak position as to why he might not improve

9. Altoona

This is just a prime example of the post-prison, totally reformed and politically correct behavior of Vick. If you review some of his other recent statements, you don't need to read very far between the lines to see that he has not lost an ounce of his competitive drive and has every intention of doing whatever he can (within the realm of fair play of course) to win the starting job.

#369 Altoona, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Browning Nagle.

11. Footballgod214

The likelihood of Vick getting injured kind of plays into him being named the starter. Geno gets to learn from the bench AND come in and start the last half of the season.

abyzmul likes this.
  12. Altoona

Tom Brady? No..wait! I know!!! Ken O'Brien!! Just because he looked like he was wearing cement-filled, ski-boots every time he took off to run and it seemed like he always had 11 or more bungee cords tied between his ass and the goalpost (not to mention the ever present worm hole directly behind him that would open up and start sucking him backwards anytime he took more than one step up in the pocket) there was no one faster!!!!!!

13. wGENOvFANu

wGENOvFANu Active Member

Lol...If Vick starts the season, he'll be out by week 4 with an injury. Geno plays the rest of the year.

14. carlito1171

carlito1171 Member

Whoever starts needs to earn it in camp, and I think Geno will be more than prepared to earn the starting job. He has what he needs to be successful in better talent at the skill positions, and I think throwing him into the fire his rookie season(by circumstance) will have done more good than harm. Geno ended the season swimming when thrown into the big boys pool. That's good enough for me to give him a shot to become our franchise QB. He had a steep learning curve coming from an Air-Raid offense in WVU and learning Marty's WCO. His footwork wasn't where it needed to be for early success, but he stuck with it and improved over time. His toughness on the field, leadership skills, ability to work through a horrendous slump, and seemingly strong work-ethic intrigues me. Not to mention this kid's arm talent is legit. He has tremendous arm strength, and has pretty good accuracy when he plants his feet. Geno became a much better QB when he took what the defense gave him and scrambled for open yardage. I think he learned that his legs will open up things for his arm, and he doesn't need to force what isn't there in the pocket. With that being said his footwork still needs major improvement and it affects his accuracy greatly. If he can clean up his footwork and keep maintaining his composure in tough situations the sky is the limit for Geno Smith.

In the event that Geno regresses and becomes awful again, I'm perfectly fine with Vick holding down the fort this season. I was clamoring for this signing since the season ended. He still has something left in the tank and can play well if his number is called. I also think that he can be a great mentor to Geno in many different ways, whether he plays or he's on the sideline.

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

The more I see of Vick the more I understand why some would believe he'll be the starter. he has a few more complete features about his game than Smith had year 1. But the belief held by talking heads that Vick is an obvious upgrade over sophomore Geno who WILL win the starting job because Rex needs to keep his job either overestimates Vick's dominance over Smith, which is marginal at best, or else underestimates Smiths ability to improve quickly.

Its the strides Smith made from mini-camp to training camp and from September to December thats got the coaching staff high on him. Its the way he was thrown into the fire in an offense that couldn't have been more different from what he ran in college and managed to find ways of helping the team to win in spite of that makes the Jets believe he can take the net step if given some time.

And its Smith's capability to improve that makes me believe Vicks level of play is entirely within his grasp, and thus my belief that he will be the starter.

Just as well,I don't believe the talent gap is as wide as some claim, beyond speed of release and perhaps the veteran leadership that only comes with time I'm not sure Vick is outstandingly better than Smith at ANYTHING. oh he's better at some things like mobility and maybe field vision, but marginally so, not so much that I don't think a hard working Geno Smith can't keep up with him, not on any front.

I just can't find it in me to believe that things will go as many plan, Vick isn't that far removed from Smith talent wise and I think he pulls out the win as he gains chemistry with his receivers.

16. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Geno and it's really not even that close. Jet fans are falling into the same thing that a lot of fans (like Raider fans right now) fall into when they pick up a new QB, and they just look at the positives. Vick in the last 3 years has 35 TD's and 27 INT's 56.5 percent completion. Sanchez in the last 3 years he played had 56 TD's and 49 INT's, 55% completion. Vick and Sanchez have posted nearly identical stats lately, and Vick has had MUCH better players around him. The only reason his career has honestly been extended this long is because the Eagles are stacked with talent. There is a reason why once Nick Foals came in the team suddenly took off and won the division.

17. Altoona

That's really what it all boils down to in a nutshell. If Smith improves to the extent that the CS and fans believe and/or hope he will, the job is his.

18. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

The funny thing about this thread is last season many were crying about (not necessarily here) how Matt Simms should start and it didn't matter that Matt Simms did little or nothing to earn the starting job. It was a huge slight against Geno in my opinion.

Now after a season where Geno put up a 67 rating and turned the ball over 29 times (the 4th most by a rookie in the history of the NFL by a rookie), the momentum seems to be for giving him another season at the helm.

In summary,
    Geno sucks for 5-6 games, start Matt Simms a rookie (and unproven) UDFA.
    Geno sucks for one season, give Geno another season to prove himself.

Just saying.

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm pulling for Geno. I want our QB of the future to be here now.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets can win with Geno, this year. The only scenario I see where Vick plays is if Geno flat-out sucks for the first 3 games.

At least then isn't a full 16 game schedule for Vick.