General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'The Proposition' is GREAT. It has gotten a lot of much deserved traction over the past couple of years, mostly by word of mouth. Gratuitous violence coupled with stellar acting. Highly recommend.

EDIT: Trailer.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. jetophile

Does anyone know if the remake of 'Road House', which was terrible the first time around, is worth my time?

3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

The action is good but overall not a good movie. Save it for when you’re really bored but have a backup movie

4. jetophile

I'm OK with it being a can of cheese, it's not like I don't know what I'm getting. I just wasn't sure about the exact level of suck.

Film is so subjective but sometimes bad is just bad. People always rave about 'The Boondock Saints' (classic, etc.). And see, I know that's part of the appeal and I love terrible movies, but I guess it just wasn't bad enough???

I don't know, maybe my experience was colored by the fact that the two protagonists were Boston Catholic vigilantes killing the bad guys when the first hump on their list should've been that pig Cardinal Bernard Law. o_O

5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Brawl in Cell Block 99 has a lot qualities of a not so good movie, lots of logic holes... but it was surprisingly entertaining.

jetophile likes this.
  6. jetophile

JackBower likes this.
  7. jetophile

'Like Minds', a young Eddie Redmayne and Toni Collette (I love both of them). It's overly long and could've been done with less screen time but watch it for the acting if you have nothing better to do. Redmayne plays a 17 yr old and totally passes at 20. I can't stand when movies present "teenagers" that are 30, come on now.

8. jetophile

I know I'll get killed for this (maybe?), but one of my guilty pleasures is 'Dodge Ball: A True Underdog Story'. It is so stupid. Jason Bateman steals the entire movie with about 2 minutes of screen time, hahaha.

Edit: My favorite quote from Patches O'Houlihan: Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No! But I do it anyway, because it's sterile! And I like the taste!

#1068 jetophile, Jul 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
    barfolomew likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'll watch it, I'm becoming a fan of Eddie Redmayne's stuff, he's seriously skilled.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Dune 2 is a good movie but brilliantly directed. I rank it right up there with Once Upon a Time in the West as one of the best exhibitions of visual storytelling I’ve ever seen.

The Dark Knight and barfolomew like this.
  11. jetophile

Hi, there, long time no see! I like Timothee Chalamet, so I'm willing to check it out. I also liked 'The King' for all of its flaws and twisting of history. It was overly long, but love or hate this dude, he has some serious acting chops. The ending was awesome. You never really know who your friends are, which is horrifying.

EDIT: Trailer:

#1071 jetophile, Jul 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2024
    JetBlue likes this.
  12. jetophile

OK, so a buddy of mine who is into bad flicks has been telling me for the longest time to watch 'Tiptoes'. I finally took the plunge, and haha, Holy Shit. "Gary Oldman in the role of a life time", hahahahaha.

HOW did this movie EVER get made?! My mouth fell open. Matthew McConaughey has a twin brother named Rolfe who is a dwarf. It is so obvious Rolfe is wearing shoes on his knees. I was born in Dusseldorf and this is why they call me Rolfe??? Who knows!

McConaughey is normal sized, but his family are dwarves. He doesn't tell his love interest/fiance and she becomes pregnant, now in fear that.the baby will be a dwarf.

I love irreverence, but I am offended for little people everywhere. Some jokester did something absolutely brilliant. It's an interview with Gary Oldman falsely talking about 'Tiptoes'. He is NOT talking about his role in this pile of garbage, the jokester super-imposed the interview. I have to go find it now.

13. jetophile

Found it! "Bingo!"

Ready?

14. jetophile

Just watched 'Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga' (aye, I'm a pirate). It was an A+ stream, it was in HD without any garbage gambling ads.

It was OK, some of it struck me as unintentionally campy (?). I liked 'Fury Road' much better. Tom Hardy stole that film with hardly any dialogue.

I'm not sure why this installment wasn't done first (?) Also, Chris Hemsworth and his fake nose kind of sucked??? I don't know, I laughed through some of it.

Anya-Taylor Joy was very good, I just wish she would leave her face alone. Her uniqueness is what made her so pretty.

I give it a solid B+ when it doesn't have anything to do with Chris Hemsworth. Maybe I'm just cranky.

EDIT: Why are these people obsessed with cabbage and bok choy.

#1074 jetophile, Jul 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    barfolomew likes this.
  15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the new Deadpool movie, I have to admit.

The Dark Knight and JetBlue like this.
  16. JackBower

Diary of the Dead was a good Romero zombie movie. Honestly never heard of it until today.

jetophile likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm not at all, I'll guess the hype made me numb. I felt the same before the first Deadpool movie though so it'll probably be good. Disney can't help but fuck it up somehow though.

18. JackBower

So Amazon Prime is like the Mecca of shitty, potentially so bad it's good, B movies
    I did not know this.

#1078 JackBower, Jul 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
  19. jetophile

'The Song of Bernadette', probably one of the worst ridiculous pieces of garbage ever made. Jennifer Jones limps around after TB gets to her bones. I mean, ya gotta suffer as part of the criteria to become a Saint, right?

In reality, Bernadette Soubirous had epilepsy and was probably as mentally ill as Saint Catherine of Siena who thought she was wearing Jesus Christ's foreskin as a wedding ring. I HATE this movie.

If you ever want to torture yourself for no reason, go right ahead.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saw the new "Twister". Special effects / CGI were well done. Plot sadly was a clone of the original movie with Paxton and Hunt. Same goes for the main characters. All in all, wait for the Netflix / AP release.