Game of Thrones HBO Weekly Discussion (Enter at your own risk of Spoilers.)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I just finished a rewatch of Season 1-3. For non-book readers, I highly recommend a rewatch, as I now understand the characters and interactions much better now. Gives much more clarity to characters like Theon and The Hound. The first time through I don’t think I realized who characters like Renley and Rickon even were.

A few thoughts (again, I haven’t read the books….just guessing based on the series):

Seems to me that Tywin needs to die in the not too distant future. He is a great character, but he is too much of a stabilizing force in Westros. With him remaining as the Hand of the King, his only real remaining threats are the forces of Stannis (hate his storyline) and The Khalisee (love her storyline). If he dies, then Kings Landing is thrown into chaos with Joffrey, Tyrion, Cersei, and Jamie vying for power. Interesting that for most of the series Jamie has been a beaten man. Will be interesting to see him back in a position of power and the effect this has on Tyrion.

Also, seems like too much positive momentum for Dany. She is becoming almost God-like. I think she needs a significant setback. I think she is still a prominent player in the game, but something needs to happen to slow her down.

Another thing I noticed was that The Hound has been a much more of a “good guy” than I initially remember. Yes, he is brutal and kills without hesitation, but he does this with purpose. When he was in the King’s Guard, he did whatever he could to protect the royal family, including Sansa, and obey the will of the king. Now he is protecting Arya, and even seems to understand her hatred for him.

Speaking of Arya, she is the character I am rooting for most. She bucks social norms and is a straight up bad ass. She has what it takes to be a great leader. I’d love to see her and Tyrion form an alliance (but I don’t see this in the cards).

While I am not a huge Jon Snow fan, I like him much better after the re-watch. I think he has potential…I just don’t like the direction his story has taken (I’m not that interested in anything North of the Wall). I think he will be forced into some leadership roll in The Night’s Watch, which should prove for some more interesting stuff.

Theon Greyjoy is complete asswipe and deserves what he gets, but I think the show has done a decent job building sympathy for him. Not really sure how Ramsay Snow figures into the big picture, but I guess that will be a story line, as we go forward.

After the rewatch, I can’t wait for this show to get going again.

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Yes, as much as I love Tywins character (Charles Dances plays him so well) it would do as you say and throw Kings landing into turmoil, I just hope that he sticks that horrible little gobshite Joffrey's head on a pole if he indeed does meet his maker.

After Ayra's, 'pointy end' scene I really took to her and no doubt she will be killed off, all my favorites seem to .

Still such a good show, when is the next series due?

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I think it starts up in April, not sure if it's the beginning or end of April though. SO about 2.5 to 3 months from now we'll be watching it again.

DeathbyJets: As someone who has read the books I don't want to give away any spoilers but you do make some interesting observations. I disagree on Theon though, I hated him as well but I don't think anyone deserves that torture he's put through, not sure if the show is going to get into it as much as the book but even in the book I don't think he cut his wang off.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

dawinner127 likes this.
  5. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Pretty good synopsis DBJ. I mainly disagree with you concerning Stannis (love his storyline). Present day Darth Vader. Stannis(after his ships have been set afire): "come with me and take this city" random soldier: "sir, hundreds will die." Stannis: "thousands". First one off the boat, first one on the beach, first one up the ladder...dodging arrows and rocks, the character is badass.

Arya, could not have picked a worse actress for your "strong" character. When she was running away from the knights without banners it was probably the sorriest "strong" scene I have ever seen in my life. Any man with legs would have caught her woddling ass through the woods in a minute. Arya, in the books seems strong; but I am profoundly surprised this character actress has survived as long as she has. I don't understand why so many ppl like her character (seems to be high up there with fans), why? She is just not believable for me. I think just about every character on the show could kill her 1on1.

Dany is a weak character too. She made so many mistakes early on, I'm surprised she survived. After Drago died, I'm surprised the kallassarr riders didn't just rape, kill her and take her dragons. I did like the scene where she tricked the dude for the immortals soldiers (or whatever they are called).

This show is entertaining, but they need to up the battles and strategy again. Since, the battle of blackwater there hasn't been shit of note. The first season was great! The second season has the best episode, blackwater. The third season pretty much sucked with the shock effect at the end.

#1245 JetsVilma28, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I am rewatching the show because my fiance is watching for the first time. As a book reader and a show lover it is truly amazing to recap each episode in first season and onward to hear how each of these characters are. Especially the constant signs Varys and Littlefinger tell Ned to stop making claims without truly knowing these Lannisters.

Would be quite the thing if at the end of it all Varys and Littlefinger are left talking about all of the houses that have died

Harry Banus and dawinner127 like this.
  7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

HBOGO not working for me right now. Though HBO would be ready after the True Detective finale problems, but I guess not

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I've never watched it but the GF started a GOT marathon this weekend so I keep getting to see the boobies part.

I'm hoping Hermoine gets naked this episode.

_

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Man I love this show...What a great episode, the writers know how to put the story together for this.
    The recasted Daario, that original blonde guy quit the show...I am very happy they did because in the books he reminded me more of a exotic pirate like Jack Sparrow but with blue eyes.

That other guy looked like Brad Pitt's Achilles from Troy....New guy looks like Eric Bana's Hector from Troy LOL

10. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

So, who do you all think will win the GoT? Who do you wish to see win? (keep it strictly based on the show).

11. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

I thought last year's Dario was much better. He had the right amount of swagger that really defines the character.

As for how it ends I hope it's dolorous edd who sits the iron throne. No one would see that coming.

12. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

I don't know if ANYONE 1 person will win...I want to say Sansa Stark or Margaery Tyrell will sit the iron throne. The Starks need some redemption.

13. displacedfan

Since the dragons happened, I've been rooting for Khalessi to come over and wreak havoc on everyone and "win" the throne.

Also, it's good to be back on the internet. I couldn't watch the episode for a while so I had to avoid basically the internet so nothing got spoiled.

Side note, nice quote "a man must have a code". A popular phrase from Omar from The Wire who Littlefinger actor also acted in.

14. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Anyone see the NY Post article about GOT today? lol

15. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

I think Arya Stark is going to play a BIG role down the line here. She seems like she has no problem dishing out revenge.

16. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

She is definitely a major character, perhaps the most important of all. I do not think she will sit the Iron Throne though. Again it is Martin, so who knows, maybe Hodor will sit the Iron Throne. Arya has been through a lot, but, Sansa in my opinion has had to deal with her fair share of troubles, if not the worst of them all.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The hound scene at the end of the episode was awesome.

18. displacedfan

19. displacedfan

They both had their fair share of troubles, but in the show I just find Arya much more likable because she tries to take things into her own hands. She's more resourceful, but she also has the Hound's help and isn't trapped in King's Landing.

Sansa had to deal with Joffrey and Cersei on a daily basis, so that's probably worse overall.

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member