Full Tear Down

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 2, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Cmon, They play 8 times a year there, not including playoffs and pre-season. It makes sense to the fanbase and the ownership to share a stadium with another team if you could. And only two cities carry two NFL teams. What would ticket prices be if the Jets had to carry a stadium themselves?

Also, he may have misspent his money, but I dont see that GM or Coach that he could have paid money to bring in here to beat the Pats. Who did he let get away? Pete Carroll? He wasnt coming back to the Jets. Maybe Bruce Ariens? I just dont see that guy that got away like you seem to see.

FJF likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

c
    Sorry I don't have specific names because I obviously don't have access to that type of information, so if you want to dismiss my point, fair enough. But we've seen many examples of where successful teams get their guys, so why do the Jets always seem to settle? Was Belichick available when Kraft took him away from the Jets? Winner make their own luck, they don't wait around for luck breaks. Sorry I can't give you more specifics, but that's my opinion.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem is GMs just don't switch teams, and I can only think of a couple of GMs who have worked for more than one team. Polian worked for the Bills, Panthers and Colts. I think he left each of those jobs on his own accord, however, and wasn't fired. I'm not aware of a single GM who was fired by one team and ever worked for another team. So that means, that you're hiring some other teams young assistant GM who has no real experience running a team. He may have experience in scouting and personnel, which Mac does in spades, but it's different when you're helping/advising someone else, and when you have to do it all yourself and the pressure's on.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I believe Polian was forced out in Indy after 2011. The issue that caused the breach was that Polian wanted his son to take over as GM and Irsay wanted anybody but Polian the Younger as the next GM. He didn't want a competing power base in the Colt's establishment that he'd have to deal with.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Put down your green-colored glasses. The good GMs draft starting QBs and Pro Bowlers, not a bunch of best-case scenarios. They also collect picks rather than trading them for rentals.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're probably right about that, but at any rate, he was retiring from Indy. He wasn't forced out of either Buffalo or Carolina.

7. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I don't think they ever planned on going with Geno, I always looked at it as Fitz's job once his leg healed. I wonder if Smith will ever see the field for the Jets.

8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

If Gil is cut and Sheldon is traded, this will truly be a historic offseason for the franchise.

9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

If you're gonna tear it all down you don't get rid of the coach and GM in the middle of the process. Bowles pisses me off as much as the rest here but I'm really hoping we stick to the plan for at least 2 more seasons. Just figure we're going to suck next year and accept that.
    Just want to see Bowles progress as a coach and obv HAVE to hit on these draft picks but even if Bowles and Mac don't make huge leaps forward still think it's best to stick with them (again they do have to show SOMETHING)

10. John

John Active Member

think of this plan...
    Sign Mike Glennon , Morris Claiborne , AJ Bouye

Draft Mike Williams at #6

LT in 2nd round

hmmmmm

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Only thing I'll slightly disagree with is the runningback coach. It seems to be a relatively useless position coach, but I don't see an upgrade or downgrade ether way.

I think Morton continually being hired by top tier head coaches is an extreme positive. The knock can be why not as a coordinator. But I think the blend of being around so many different successful head coaches is important in that he'll hopefully adjust the system more to the players rather than forcing it the other way around.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah of course. Keeping Bowles & Maccagnan this offseason needs to be a multiple year commitment. Hopefully the idiots of Jets nation acknowledge that this is going to be a process and don't whip out the stupid ass billboards after a 4-12 to 6-10 finish this upcoming season.

FJF and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Well. Maccagnan has proved to be a pretty shitty negotiator. He got ran by both Fitzpatrick and Wilkerson in those negotiations and folded to exactly what they wanted and overpaid while he was essentially bidding against himself.

I don't need give him credit for his 2015 Tannenbaum style rebuild. He signed and traded for a bunch of players with a max two year shelf life. And we're unloading all of those players this year.

CB Darrelle Revis - gone
    CB Antonio Cromartie - gone
    CB Buster Skrine - ok player, highest paid 'slot' corner in the NFL
    WR Brandon Marshall - gone (trade)
    FS Marcus Gilchrist - ok player, horrible 2016 season. One of the better signings though.
    G James Carpenter - decent guard, vastly overpaid

That doesn't include the stupid signings of Matt Forte and Bilal Powell to the same god damn deal. Both I believe are paid as top 15 running backs.

I think he could've invested the money in a much better way. I'll try to dig up he threads where I posted younger available players. Some guys that come to mind are:

WR Jeremy Maclin
    WR Michael Crabtree
    OLB Brian Orakpo
    ILB Mason Foster
    ILB Nate Irving
    G Orlando Franklin
    T Michael Oher
    T Byron Bell
    TE Jordan Cameron
    RB Ryan Matthews

He also stupidly invested the most crucial part of the free agency period (the first 48 hours) essentially bidding against himself for Revis as the Patriots just ran us up on him.

His drafts have been OK. He looks to have been pulling some quality players in the mid-round in Shell, Burris, Simon, Jenkins, and Mauldin, which is encouraging. But he's been god awful in free agency.

We get a cap guy in Idzik who can't draft but plays free agency and contracts perfectly. Then we get rid of him for a scout that seems to draft better but has absolutely no clue how to negotiate contracts. Why don't we hire a friggain accountant to work with Maccagnan as a capologist? I thought teams did this?

#53 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    No Fly Zone, FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. same old jets

same old jets Member

Why keep Harris at his price....guy was a good Jet but couldnt cover anyone last year and now a yr older....cut him and free up another $6M

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I actually have some faith in this front office with the recent releases.

Now if we can trade Sheldon for either a 3rd round or 4th round pick we have a nice foundation to build on.

16. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This season is going to be unwatchable. I don't have the optimism that some of you have. Our "promising young core." I don't see it.

CBG likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets are actually terrible in 2017 it will be one of the most exciting seasons in years. I'll be on the edge of my seat most of the time in the second half of the season hoping the Jets don't turn 1-9 into 4-12 again and blow their chance at a top 2 pick.

FJF and ConcordeChops like this.
  18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

This x 1000

19. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We're not tearing down, we're just cutting anyone that petitioned to bring Fitzpatrick back.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Problem is the media will start putting pressure on the org to fire someone. I really really hope we can stick to the process and keep heading in ONE direction. With that sad if Bowles is just absolutely clueless this year then it's gonna be hard to defend him.

I'm with it. Build a solid foundation this draft, then pull a franchise QB at the top of the next draft and away we go.