Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Only issue I have with this is it would likely require giving up draft capital, which I am not a huge fan of right now. I guess it depends on what it would require for us to give

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, I was exaggerating to make a point. Surely you're acquainted with that concept? If not, let me try to simplify it. The guys you mentioned are not great talents. They're certainly not even close to good enough to overcome a defense focusing on just stopping them because there is no one else that's a threat. This was in response to your assertion that Darnold has had "average weapons", which taken as a whole he has not.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing that he has had shitty luck with talent at WR and the coaching staff, but I'm not claiming he sucks because he has shitty stats. He has had average wide receivers and should be competing at a much higher level than he is. He makes the same mistakes in year three that he made as a rookie. He misses wide open wide receivers. He stares down targets. He is careless with the football and does not have good pocket awareness.

We can argue back and forth all you'd like, but his problems run much deeper than the talent around him. If we had the best wide receivers in the NFL, I would not trust Darnold, at all, to lead us down the field and score in a 2 minute offense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Darnold for Nelson and a 5th round pick.

5. ColoradoContrails

I never said he doesn't have problems, or that it's all because he's had shitty talent and coaching, but those two things are far bigger problems than his level of ability. And yes, he HAS regressed. Guess why? He went from a shitty coach - Bowles - to an even shittier one, meanwhile the talent never improved to any degree. In fact, he may well be ruined - although I don't think so, still it can't be ruled out - look at what happened to David Carr. And right now I wouldn't trust him either. But, if he's given some time in a better system with better coaching and talent, I believe he could be successful in executing a reliable two minute drill. Does that mean I think he's going to be a great QB? No, not at this point, and probably never, which is why I prefer they draft a new QB, but he's simply not the trash you and others claim he is.

6. NCJetsfan

Just to be clear, I think we see Darnold pretty much the same. When I say he "sucks" it's because he does often suck right now, but even then, that's a bit of hyperbole. I'm just tired of seeing him struggle, and of his flaws. I think he needs a fresh start elsewhere, and can possibly become a decent starter if his mental issues aren't as bad as I think they are. I think he possibly can overcome those mental issues somewhere else with time, but doubt he can overcome them here. I wamt a QB who can see the field, make quick, good decisions, and get the ball out quickly. That's Wilson to a T.

Noam likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

I understand. And I also share your concern that Douglas might think Darnold can be good enough, but if that's the case, nothing we say here one way or the other will change that, so I'm just trying to be fair in my assessment of his abilities. There is no doubt in my mind that Darnold has more potential and upside than the likes of Garoppolo, Beatherd, Mariota, or any of the other "Usual Suspects" that are mentioned as place holders for the Jets, and he may even be much better than those guys although I'm not predicting that. He's certainly not "trash". If he were, I'm sure Douglas would've already traded him for whatever he could get.

SOJAZ, blackssmagic, azhar80 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agreed on the risk, but last season he missed games because he was spun and slammed to the ground on his shoulder....a move that SHOULD have resulted in a roughing the passer call .... had that been done to Brady or Brees or Manning it WOULD have been called. That was a disgusting non call by a shit ref.

that was a result of p,aging behind one of the worst OLs in the league. Hard to blame him for that

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

It definitely should have been called a penalty.

I remember when he was slammed to the turf, and can still see that in my mind's eye, but don't recall how that play progressed. Was the tackler on Sam almost as soon as the ball was snapped or did Sam stand there for a while staring at a receiver or looking for a receiver? If the tackle happened 3-4 seconds after the snap, then imo one can't blame the OL, Sam would have had time to find an open receiver or throw the ball away. For that matter, if he could read Ds, he might have known a blitz was coming and from where.

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah I don’t recall...I’d have to go watch that play again

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Unsourced rumors that we are signing Tevin Coleman so I won't start a thread yet. Not surprising at all. I would be a fan mostly because if he sucks, he'll miss half the season anyway.

blackssmagic, Rockinz and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Are they coming from someone with the initials MM?

13. NCJetsfan

If you decide to go watch the play again, please share it. I'd like to see it again.

14. NCJetsfan

ROFLOL

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m a player for a 5th round pick

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Here is the link.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Another band aid ffs

18. NCJetsfan

Thanks!

As I suspected, Sam had 4 seconds before he had to move to try to avoid the rusher. The ball should have already been gone. Sam could have also rolled out to his right, and instead, stayed put too long and then tried to spin and move to his left. The announcer (Buck?) even said that Sam was "well protected."

IMO that was totally on Sam, his inability to see the field, make a quick decision, and inability to feel pressure. It could also be attributed to his inability to read the D even before the snap. That was totally NOT on the OL. It was ALL on Sam. Even if none of the receivers were open, he could have thrown the ball away.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Wasn't Cager open on that play?

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Well-said NCJetsFan. Either a QB has the ability to do all of that, or he does not. Sam just doesn't have it. He is the Jets version of Trubisky. Nice guys who tried their best and who might have the physical tools, but who just don't have what it takes on a mental/intuitive level to be successful NFL starting QB's. For Trubisky, it was mainly his ability to go through his progressions....he was lucky if he even got to his 2nd option on a route before the rush got to him...and as you pointed out regarding Sam, NC, that is NOT always on the OL....that is often on a QB who just can't go through his progressions quickly enough.

#1800 patleahy, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    PJ4Ever, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.