Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, but the problem is we won't get value for him. He may not be very fast, but he still could make a lot of plays in the middle of our D.

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Cap hit for a team that traded for him would be $6m this season and $16m next season. With the cap being so much less this year i think it helps that his contract is structured this way. They could also restructure to move some of that money to this year and even it out.

3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with this. As this week begins it's the second week of free agency. Be interesting to see who we sign. I can definitely see two of the cbs you mention. We lost out on Fuller but he went right back to Fangio so I don't think we had a chance. Stephen Nelson who was released over the weekend would help. Williams or Poole for the slot. Not as high but Malcolm Butler could be an option as well as Adoree Jackson but I think the Giants make the deal today.

LBs I think people are there to be signed. OL not sure anyone can help. Maybe a trade at some point. Right now I see us drafting ol and cb early then wr and lb in the 3rd and fourth. Be a fun month leading up knowing we have 9 picks and 3 early. Be better if we knew Darnold was the guy. Could get so much for two but unfortunately I don't think we'll trade it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I thought that Perryman wasn't very good. I don't think someone can be taken seriously as an evaluator if all he can say is he sucks.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m ok with the overall approach so far...signing younger guys in the 26 year old range that have shown promise and have upside. I like that better than paying crazy money to 29 year old guys ... we get a discount because they haven’t really proven it yet but have a good shot to do so. I think that’s a good way to use free agency.

and secondly, we did address needs...WR and pass rush were huge needs for us. So that fits. Not really sure about the TE we signed....a blocking TE...don’t we already have that in Wesco? To me Wesco was another in a long line of wasted Mac draft picks, but I thought he was a good blocker?

I’m disappointed we haven’t addressed our other two huge needs at CB and OG though. I thought it was interesting that we signed a safety....shows you they are not quite as high on Davis (I wasn’t either). Still, I would probably have preferred to use that money on a CB or a guard. I think we need both more than a safety.

we’ll see what’s left but so far it looks like the draft will be focusing on QB (maybe), CB, OL, and LB?

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Would be shocked if both CB and IOL aren't addressed with picks 23 and 34

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

There's 3 years of data and video evidence to prove it.

He sucks.

8. hornblower

Let's see what the staff thinks.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He really doesn't. He is a good quarterback who has had some tremendously bad luck his first three years in the NFL. Some of you guys really undervalue Sam.

Sam was an inconsistent QB with high highs and low lows on a team with a bad roster (filled with injuries) and terrible coaching. Plus he has had some injury issues of his own.

He will be 24 headed into the 2021 season. Still very young. Plenty of upside with the right coaching staff and roster around him.

Any normal year I think the Jets would continue to roll with Sam. This situation is unique though.
    -New Head Coach.
    -GM that did not draft him.
    -Strong options at QB in the 2021 draft with the Jets holding the #2 pick.
    -Coming off a horrendous (2-14) season. Could be good for both sides to get a fresh start.

All adds up to Sam being moved. A team that trades for him would not be dumb though. They would be taking a calculated risk with minimal downside and very high upside.

10. Falco21

We'll agree to disagree.

His numbers are historically bad. There is also tons of video evidence showing him miss completely open wide receivers time after time.

I get it, he didn't have the best coaching staffs to guide him, but eventually you have to lay blame at the feet of the player. Darnold has played like shit his entire career. If you want to chalk that up to the coaching staff, then that's your decision.

It's not a shock when multiple beat reporters of multiple teams he has been linked to in a potential trade have released articles shitting on the idea and claiming it would be a disaster signing him.

If I had to guess, he is widely seen around the league as being a very bad QB. But that's my opinion and my guess

11. NCJetsfan

Kraft isn't just a blocking TE. One of the Bills' posters said that he wasn't a starter and that's why he didn't have more receptions. He said that Lee Smith was their blocking TE. I may be wrong, but I also don't think the Bills' passing offense looks for TEs all that often, kind of like Gase's.

JD was all in on William Jackson and supposedly made multiple increasing offers to him/his agent, but he signed elsewhere. Not much JD could do about that unless he way overpaid Jackson. There are still CBs out there like Steve Nelson, K'Waun Williams (slot), Poole (slot), and more may be released. I have to believe that JD isn't going into the draft having to draft both a slot CB and a #1 CB prospect. He will sign a couple of CBs.

I'm most disappointed about OG, but there weren't many good options. Trae Turner is out there, but he's older, will be expensive, and was injured last year, so I don't know if Jd does or even should have much interest in him.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I guess your definition of good is different than mine. He has shown FLASHES that would make us believe he can be a good QB in this league, but right now, he is definitely not a good QB.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The additional blocking TE is for the two TE power run game the Jets will use occasionally and they also will throw from that formation. It really comes down to scheme. Think of the Titans offense, or San Francisco Niners offense.

They are not strictly spread offenses, while they do use 3 receiver sets, they will be emphasizing the run game and making an all out effort to control LOS.

Don’t forget Herndon, as long as he’s not dropping balls, he should flourish under this new scheme as well.

azhar80 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I disagree that Sam is a good QB. The facts say otherwise. He has the potential to be good, and is good in spots, but in order to be conisidered a "good" QB, the QB has to be consistent, and Sam isn't. While Sam is still young and has talent, this past season his confidence appeared to have been pretty shot, and without confidence his talent can't shine through.

If Sam has fixed his footwork, he has a chance to perhaps reach his potential, but I doubt that he has. He hasn't in three years, why should now be any different? Unless a miracle has happened, he can't see the whole field, and that's part of talent. I could be mistaken, but I believe that one either has the ability to do that or one doesn't. I'm not sure that can be improved or fixed. The new system should help him with reads, and with his decision making, but not if his mind is panicking or he can't process quickly enough, and I'm not sure that he can process quickly. Even if he can process quickly in this system, and make good reads and decisions, if his accuracy is still off because of his throwing motion and/or footwork, it won't matter. We don't need a QB who throws nearly as many interceptions as he does TDs.

Sam has had mostly lows and relatively few highs. Yes, he's had his moments, but the were too few and too far between. A QB shouldn't have to depend upon the roster around him to look like a quality NFL QB. Some QBs have the ability to play at a high level even when they don't have a lot of talent around them. They can read the D, make quick, good decisions, get the ball out quickly and accurately, and they make the players around them better. If Sam can't do that, he's as useless as tits on a bull.

I also disagree that in any normal year the Jets would roll with Sam. You didn't mention the 5th year option. No team is going to risk losing their QB if he's good. If they're not willing to sign his 5th year option, then they shouldn't be willing to roll with him. That and the other 4 reasons you listed are compelling, valid, rational reasons why the Jets should move on and not roll with Sam. If you were a new OC or HC would you want to risk your career on a QB like Sam? I sure as heck wouldn't. I wouldn't want to waste even one year, unless there was no other option, like no good QBs in the draft or the team wasn't in the position to draft one and didn't have the necessary draft capital or resources to be able to trade up.

I agree with the bold sentence. Sam should be moved. It's what is best for Sam and what is best for the Jets and their future. I don't think we can say whether a team that trades for him is dumb or not. It depends upon their plan, how they intend to handle him. If their plan is to start him day one, if their scheme isn't a good fit for him, if they don't have a really good QB Coach or their OC or HC aren't skilled in developing QBs, if they don't have a solid OL and good skill position players, and they don't have a competent, solid starting QB that Sam can sit behind and learn from, then I believe they are dumb. I think they need to work with him, fix his footwork/throwing motion, rebuild his confidence, and if they don't have a solid OL and good skill position players, then they need to add them before he starts again. I could be wrong, but I think his best chance is to go somewhere he can sit for a year, have no pressure, decompress, rebuild his mechanics and confidence, and really work on reading Ds. In addition, I think it would probably be best for him if he is back on the West coast, or at least a small market team. Even then, they need to make it clear to their fanbase from the get-go that Sam will be sitting, and needs work before he is ready to play.

#1754 NCJetsfan, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    The Dark Knight, Falco21 and REVISion like this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You should change your name to samblower

16. hornblower

Respect please.

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

All I ever see you post is a defense for Sam. I'll respect your opinion when you admit that maybe, just maybe, he's not a good QB and never we will be. But honestly, what does my respect mean to you anyway. It should mean nothing

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

19. hornblower

If I don't believe that why would I say it. I think he will be fine with more weapons. You may disagree but abuse is not part if the meme.

Noam likes this.
  20. Falco21

The problem with your argument is that the goal post keeps moving. First it was his youth. Then it was his coaches. Then it was his weapons.

You do realize many other QB's in this league have very good years with average weapons. When are you going to just chalk it up to him sucking as a player

bicketybam likes this.