Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Shit, guess Gruden realized what he was doing was moronic. Still worth a pick for sure.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Probably because you chastise everyone for being ignorant, wrong or stupid when they don't agree with you when you've openly admitted you don't really watch Jets games so I'm sure you don't watch any CFB.

I don't get it really - you talk about football all day long. Put the games on during your Saturdays, bub. Maybe if you watched the physical games all year long rather than highlight tapes and Daniel Jeremiah, people would respect your opinion.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

What? Didn't they already release him? If they let that news leak and now are trying to trade him they played themselves badly.

abyzmul likes this.
  4. NOVAJET

Apparently he asked for his release but when the Raiders realized he was a tradeable asset they are trying to get something in return. Good contract and top 3 C, worth a pick for sure. I'd even offer one of our 2 3's, he's a beast.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

DeVonta had helium attached to him. He wasn’t THIS highly regarded. Chase ultimately was the #1 WR in this draft. Him sitting out didn’t hurt him, it’s just we have stats and amazing play from Smith to think he’s the best now. In fact, Waddle was by all accounts going to go before Smith as well. Again injuries dropped him a tad.

I’d still rate them, Chase, Smith, Waddle. Waddle will run a ridiculous time if he does which will give him a mid 1st round slot.

6. NOVAJET

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There are many ways to build a long term winning organization but innevitably includes both the draft and free agency in a way that cleverly balances value, talent and long term growth.
    IMO, the concern of rushing the rebuild presented here by some is a problem only if we rush the rebuild by over using free agency and not a balanced combination of free agency and the draft. Going nuts with high value targets at the very top of their game or worst trading picks like we did in the past when you have many needs is bad news. .However, sticking to a long term plan that supplements the draft with young talent in free agency, targeting key positions of need that best fits the mold of our HC staff system, players with a lot of upside talent and young enough to grow with the team in my opinion is the way to go.
    The more I watch JD operate the more I see that happening. May be not as fast as what the impatient fans would want, but he is doing it deliberately and with a much longer horizon across the 52 best players. IMO He will selectively continue to use free agency, and rightfully so, without going over what he considers fair market value to the team and the specific position. In fact, you absolutely need free agency to provide the type of leadership and proven capability that helps the rookies grow in the NFL.
    As to the draft, I believe that is the best possible way to get the QB of your dreams if you are in a position to do so. So if there is any reasonable chance at all, you run to the podium and strike for the most crucial position of all whenever you have the chance. Using the second pick to find our potential FQB is an absolute drop in the bucket, and the risk of failure to do so, hit or miss is irrevocable.
    I say use free agency to fill immediate holes with talented young free agents with growth potential, leverage the draft to build the core and the future, but never, ever pass on a potential QB when you have the chance with a pick.

SOJAZ, azhar80, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

RochesterJet and Noam like this.
  9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

QB of some posters dream. The pros running the Jets may be awake?

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope you're right, and that it gives us a chance to get Smith. I believe he'll become that "X-factor" player on the Jets.

11. NOVAJET

I agree with your point and would prefer longevity but what if he's not there at our selection? I prefer to fill as many gaps as possible (if quality players are available) before the draft so we aren't forced into a positional selection.

SOJAZ, Footballgod214 and K'OB like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now we're getting to the real reason he posts so much.

That stupid post liking system needs to be destroyed. This isn't fucking Facebook.

#932 abyzmul, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Br4d and NOVAJET like this.
  13. NOVAJET

Had to "like" this:D

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don't like me.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

True, I think he will go around our #23 is that too soon for a team like ours with many needs to be taking a guard?

I also like Mayfield who is a RT or could be a RG and he might be set to land around at our 2nd round pick, probably too early again maybe?

16. Jonathan_Vilma

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Blocked.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Must... not... Like... this... post...

Uh... argh... the... strain............

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So, am i to assume in your view none of the QBs in this year draft are a target with the second pick by the pros running the Jets?
    If that is the case, then all the literature from experts and the like, some with a bit of credibility I might add, who think probably as much as 4 QB will go within the first six or seven picks is all BS.
    I trust JD and their staff to get it right, but if none are considered better than Sam, potential wise, it sure would set a pretty low standard for the other teams in need of a QB

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hate the freaking Raiders and Cardinals!

azhar80 likes this.