For the JD critics.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No.. How about we show up and play competitive football this year. That's the ultimatum. Saleh has to show he can coach this roster up to being competitive. If he can't, then it may be time for JD to reassess our situation. JD held up his end.

Saleh is still on his first contract. If this team doesn't start showing progress, what makes you think he'll get a second? This is a fanbase that needs to see improvement, not slogans.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Talk about damning with faint praise.

abyzmul, Cman68, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

TL; DR

No offense but "if words were birds" . that tome of yours would be like Buffalo in winter, i.e. 'covered in white'

[​IMG]

At one time Buffalo had well over a half million people (580,000) -- today the population is LESS THAN HALF OF THAT which begs the question: . what happened? . Granted, Buffalo's ugly as sin and depressing & drab as all hell (not to mention the cattle that pass for women there) but still, where the hell did everyone go? .

Or put it this way: when you consider that their filled-to-capacity stadium represents a sizable portion of the city's overall population wouldn't it be fair (by extension) for Buffalo's profile to read:
    Buffalo, NY, pop.: fat, drunk and stupid? . : )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That does not mean JD doesn't get credit for actually doing it in real life with real GMs. You said he deserves no credit because you did a mock draft and liked some of the same guys. This is different than picking in real life, trading with real GMs, and coming out of the draft universally given A grade. He deserves a lot of credit whether you liked some of the same guys or not is all I am saying, and you didn't give it to him.

The bigger point here is that Guard is a premium position, which is evidenced by two teams spending similar pick as JD did for Guards the year after JD did it. This is also evidenced by the fact OLine was much better once LDT upgraded GVR. Whether it was worth the price to move up or not is debatable. But that's the value of a good guard this high in the draft. You made it sound like JD royally fucked up, because Guards are not as important. They clearly are, since teams are spending premium picks on it. Btw, the trade worked out much better for the Jets than Minny, at least thus far. AVT made PFF all rookie team and Echols, whom they converted the pick they got back into, looks like a stud. Two 3d round picks Minny got from us are already waived. And one of them is a Guard whom we could have picked instead of AVT if JD thought Guards were not so important.

Adams trade, Darnold trade, Herndon trade resulted in a lot of assets. He missed on some of them, but he did manage to use these assets as well as sign people to good contracts to ultimately overhaul entire roster in 3 off-seasons, including using a top 2 pick on a QB in a QB rich draft. Also, I think McGovern is not a bad center. He will eventually need to upgrade him, but he is still top 15 in NFL. He does not get enough credit. Not elite by any means, but gets shit upon way more than he deserves. Even against Eagles in preseason, someone posted a clip of him getting beat by Philly 1st round rookie. Upon closer look however, he contained him for over 3 seconds and then was pushed by Tomlinson, at which point he fell after QB was out of danger (well, from the middle).

Overall, to me this season is when the jury is out. Yes, there were mistakes, there were great moves, but if he is able to overhaul the roster in 3 off-seasons from total dump to a play-off contender or right on the cusp of that with a few manageable pieces for next year to take next step, he did well. No excuses this year. He has 3 seasons, he handpicked the QB, he handpicked the coach, they are not rookies any longer. It's time to win some games. JD is not beyond criticism by any stretch, but the judgement day is upon us. There will be plenty of criticism if this team sucks again this year. And credit would need to be given if they do well.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree with you that Oline could be bolstered a bit, though Moses wanted to leave to start for a contender and bringing him back as a back-up, which is what he was here, I don't think is realistic. We did get Brown instead of him, which could even be an upgrade. However losing LDT IMO is not a fair point by any measure. The guy said he wants to do residency instead of playing and we managed to upgrade him with All Pro player, plus a really good back-up in Nate Herbig instead of GVR. Not sure what more JD could have done on that one.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

How many times will this thread title be changed?

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Why do you think the Jets will not. The sky is not falling, we had a good off season. Enjoy the season.

We are expecting to crash the car and we have not even left the driveway yet.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I try to have realistic expectations. One step at a time. Competantcy is a start.

I don't think it is realistic to have had the Roster we had and have a one year turn around.

We startted the youngest team in the league last year and are still very young. I will give Saleh and JD this season and next to have a playoff contending team before I get bitter. Changing coaches and Gms in the middle of rebuild is what bad orgs do.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why? You really have to ask why??? When this team shows up and plays 60mins of football, you won't have to ask why anymore. Again we're not a bunch of Pop Warner football babies on the roster anymore. JD has bought in plenty of veterans that hopefully know how to play the game at the NFL level. That "we're too young to play good football" worked last year. Not this year. Time to let that excuse age gracefully.

As far as the Eternal Rebuild goes, every build shows progress. The foundation is in place. Now its time to show progress. No more excuses, no more slogans. Play competent football and quiet the noise or if not, it will get much much louder in JetLand.

To Quote Leon Hess: " Now lets go out there and show them we're not a bunch of horses' asses.."

I don't think that's asking too much of a professional football team.

Ralebird, KY Jets Fan and westiedog1 like this.
  10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Ok, horses' asses is a nonstarter. Understood. Many of our customers enjoy the horses' asses package, but naturally our more selective clientele tend to demand a more upscale experience. If you'll follow me to the next room, I will present you with the gold-level "slap-dick" package...

Cman68 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  11. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Does ANYONE understand cutting Bam Knight and keeping Ty Johnson? That makes ZERO sense to me.....

mrmajix likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

funny shit joe but I dont think BillsoverJets is even from Buffalo so the smack talk wont resonate

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

sure, I would seculate that they felt that Bam Knight would make it to the PS so they essentially kept both players while opening a roster spot for McDermott. Johnson despite his drops and poor pass blocking last year is more useful right now with speed to get to the edge and he can make plays in the passing game. So they kept the long term potential player in Bam on the PS and kept the more useful one who can help now on the roster. But, regardless we are talking about our 3rd and 4th RBs. Players who will hopefully see the field very little and only in the case of an injury to Hall or MC.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  14. NYJ1970

In many ways, the Jets have made their own reputation. They've always been a laughingstock. They've done everything possible to screw things up.

So the sarcasm I see when it comes to this team, I understand. I don't condone it and it's up to the Jets to change that narrative themselves. But I still believe They've earned the criticism they get.....

Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  15. NYJ1970

And how exactly do you know he'll make it to the practice squad? And even if he does get to the practice squad how do you know he won't get picked up by a RB hungry team later?

16. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

hes already on the PS

Ralebird and dawinner127 like this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I guess JD knew he would make it to the practice squad...

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He already made it to the PS. Under the new rules from a few years ago they can also protect a few of their players on the PS from being protected but only for a limited number of games. Yes, it is a gamble. He could be gone at some point. But, that is something that happens when a team gets better. Their castoffs get claimed. We saw it this year when the Jets had a league high 7 waiver players claimed. Good teams constantly churn the bottom of their roster. It is apparent they like Knight. Hopefully he sticks and develops and takes Johnson's spot at some point. I am sure he will get his chance with injuries.

Borat likes this.
  19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I think it was a safe bet that he would. On the eve of the season starting, not too many teams release a player they've decided on to open up a roster spot for a different RB3 or RB4.

Noam likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm glad we have a brutal schedule. It's truly the only way to gauge where we are.

Think back to '19 when Gase and boys rattled off a 6-2 finish. Not one person believed it meant much as those wins were against 'weak teams'. Sam still sucks, and all that. I'd rather lose our first 6 in OT against top teams, than win 6 against bottom feeders, only to get crushed by 'good teams' in weeks 8 thru 17 or whatever.

Win or lose, playing well against the top teams will give our very young squad tons of confidence to go forward into the next game. Zack's game last season against Brady and the Bucs is a case in point. We're still pointing to that game as evidence of how good our team can be.

Stuff like that.

Cman68, HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.