For the JD critics.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here is from Moses himself: ""At the age I am, and going into Year 9, being able to play meaningful football is very important," Moses said. "This franchise has a history of being in the playoffs, year after year. With all the injuries that happened last year, things happen. But this is not an organization that's not a playoff-ready team. They have all the pieces. ""
    https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/morgan-moses-and-ravens-found-the-right-fit
    Moses wanted to go to play-off ready team. He said it himself. I don't understand why people assume he is lying and wanted to stay for more money here. Also, he knows here he has to compete with Becton and might end up a sub on a non play-off team if Mekhi managed to stay healthy. If you don't believe me, just believe him.

Also, JD had a structure of a deal in place with Brown before Becton got hurt. That's why he was taking physical. Usually when it comes to that, deal is pretty much done, and JD even said it himself. Because Mekhi got injured, they ended up paying him more I am sure, but he was going to be there regardless. Yes, there is a risk Brown could get injured. There is a risk Becton could get injured. But come on, BOTH on IR was not something he could have anticipated. And he still got Max, who so far outperformed the guys you suggested to draft.

Yes, we disagree on this, but objectively keeping Moses was not realistic as I mentioned above. Having both Brown and Becton seriously injured also is a low probability. And Max, while not great by any stretch, is doing better than Ikey and Neal, while we got Sauce with that pick, who is doing good. If you drafted one of them, we are worse off than we are now on oline, plus no Sauce. We can say JD could have done better, but given alternatives, it seems like at the very least he did OK, since Max is productive.

twown and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…we don’t need to debate it ad nauseum, but I get what Moses said and I’m not saying it wasn’t a factor, but in these things, as in most, it comes down to money. Just like Watson said the Browns were out until they gave him an offer he couldn’t refuse, I’m sure that IF JD wanted Moses badly enough he could have kept him. Maybe that contract exists but was way out of bounds I don’t know, but Moses signed for not much more so I just can’t imagine that we couldn’t have found common ground here if JD had wanted to.

second, I don’t think the chances of both Becton and Brown being hurt was a low probability…Becton literally has missed way more games than he’s played…many of us already KNEW he couldn’t be counted on to play 17 games, and it turns out we were even generous…he didn’t make it out of training camp. So I’d argue that it was actually a very high probability that he’d get hurt. I thought Brown was a great fallback as he’s been good and durable, but again I can’t agree with the position that thinking a 37 year old player getting hurt is a low probability.

So we just don’t agree on those two points

I do agree that Mitchell may be the saving grace and if he plays well then JD has the last laugh and I will be the first to give him all that credit. I hope it works

I still stand by my take that as much as I like JD, I am frustrated at the state of the OL after three years of his watch, and I still disagree with his decision to rely on Becton without a better Plan B. It may work out fine and I hope it does, but I still think we need to invest more draft capital on OL.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There was no interest for Moses to remain. Period. He wanted a starting position and play for a winner. The notion that JD had no interest in keeping Moses is nonsense. But they will not accept that. He didn’t try hard enough, as if it is a unilateral agreement. They use the old BS just throw money at them and they will come. Not at the end of your career you accept that.

bicketybam likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand there was a large price point where Moses would have picked the Jets. But you have to admit that based on the comments he made, there would be a big Jets tax. You also have to admit that Moses knew he would be a back-up if Becton is healthy, like he was to start 2021. That makes the Jets tax higher. We may be talking about doubling his value. I think by any reasonable measure it just wasn't realistic, no matter how much you want to blame JD. We can disagree on that one, and it's fine.

As far as probabilities, what do you think was the % chance Becton would be out for the year again? What is the % chance you though Duane would be out with serious injury? When you combine and determine AND probability, it's not going to be as low that ONE of them wouldn't be around for big part of the season.

#324 Borat, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022