First Questionable Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BK_Jetsfan, Apr 29, 2006.

1. DGrab

DGrab New Member

Dude, Scout Inc has him in the 6th round on their value chart so if thats where you're taking your comfort from...

2. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Oh man, this year's Pouha.

3. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Might be a little of a reach. But remember the Jets worked out 450 players I think it was when only about 230 are drafted. Add to that that Mangini is a defensive guy, and likes players that can contribute on STs. So I think they must have seen something there to have him rated so high. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how he does in the NFL.

#23 dabrowsk1, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2005
  4. Amaru

Amaru Well-Known Member

This is the first pick I don't understand at all. Gabe Watson would have been very helpful, or even Jean-Gilles or O'Callaghan. We already have Vilma and Kassel, plus Hobson is probably an ILB in the 3-4 as well, I see no reason why we needed to take him.

5. e-x

e-x New Member

such a reach it makes me question the other picks

6. ColoradoJets

ColoradoJets Member

I wouldn't mind taking him but why today?? He would have been there tomorrow.

7. DGrab

DGrab New Member

Scouts had him in the 6th and Kiper just said he expected him to be a 5th rounder. Nice.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about this guy and it sure does sond like a big time reach but it sounds like a guy that in a few years we'll be glad to have..

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think if one thing is clear with this regime is we are not taking guys with questionable personality traits. Watson is talented yes, but he is a lazy bastard and the opposite of what is becoming the Tangini way.. We'll see in a few years how it works out but right now its hard to complain about what they are doing..

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Maybe will turn into our Mike Vrabel.......

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Situational run stuffer, similar to Victor Hobson except bigger and more compact. Much like Mike Vrabel

12. MN_Jet_Fan

MN_Jet_Fan New Member

From CNNSI:

BIO: Two-year starter who began his college career at Air Force. Senior totals included 82/7/2 after career-best totals of 84/10.5/3.5 as a junior.

POSITIVES: Hard-working two-down defender who is best against the run. Aggressive, effectively diagnoses the action and takes good angles to the play. Breaks down and defeats blocks on his way to the play. Gets depth in zone coverage and immediately picks up assignments.

NEGATIVES: Struggles moving laterally, lacks sideline-to-sideline range and speed in pursuit. Slow reacting when the ball's in the air and is better playing downhill.

ANALYSIS: A competitive linebacker, Schlegel best fits on the inside of a 34 defense where his area responsibilities will be limited.

Looks like he's here to stuff the run. Purely a situational ILB

13. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

horrible pick.

way too early to be drafting special team's players.

booooooo!!!!

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He's a nice player, but why here? He's a nice ILB for a 3-4, a good player, but he's too slow and too old to be a day one pick. He should be a contributor, but I'm surprised at the value or lack thereof.

15. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

^^ I agree Mack.... at the very least he should have been there when we picked at the end of the 3rd.

16. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

just think how many times we have given up 3rd or 4th and shorts...at least this guys sounds like he can stuff the run and fill a gap and knock some heads off

17. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

I agree, but why take him in the 3rd?

And why trade away #71, which we could have used on Chris Gocong instead of letting the Eagles take him away from us?

18. daking231

daking231 Member

Who is this Bozo.... I wish we took Stovall with that pick instead as i thought our LB depth was good enough without this Anthony Schlegel.

19. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I agree he is a bit of a reach. But I am going to judge this draft as a whole.

Remember Mangini and Tanny are of the NE mindset that stockpiles picks. When you stockpile picks, you can reach every once in a while for a guy you have rated high but others might not.

Last year we reached for Pouha, but the Jets didn't have many picks so the reach is a bad idea. Think about this though. They had 9 picks today, picked up another 6th or 7th, and a 2nd next year. So a reach doesn't hurt all that much.

So far the FO has managed to add much needed talent to the 2 most important positions on the O-Line for years to come, get a QB for the future, add a first day pick for next year, and another pick this year. I can live with a reach here, I will wait to see what this kid has.

20. Hazardous Waters

What a sub-par player.