First Overall Pick?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BamaDoc, Nov 3, 2019.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I don't watch college football enough!!

Regarding Jeudy though, one thought. We play Pats twice a year. they always game plan to take away your best option. We need 3 or more good wide receivers who catch the catchable balls

I'm also a bit old school and think if we shore up the OL, our QB, RB and even receivers will all benefit. Our current OL is like an expansion team: the island of misfit toys

I also like and agree with your comments about including vets in the rebuild of the OL. Downside is since we suck we'll need to overpay, BUT we need some veteran stability in there too. Also agree with Beachum. If nothing else i like his attitude about owning your shit

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I think U should research our #1 draft picks over the last 10 years & where there players are today & then U will want to withdraw this silly post :mad:

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could be proven wrong, but Joe Douglas is NOT Mike McCagnan. I believe that he has a plan, and if he trades down, he will make wise use of the additional picks.

The Tuna was a moron. There were two great LT prospects in the top 5-10 of that draft, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones. Both wound up being HOFers. We had Jumbo Elliott who was at the end of his career. Tuna knew that he wasn't staying long term, he was just trying to patch as many holes as he could so he could try to make a run with a more solid team. He didn't care about the long-term view, and in fact, he probably wanted the only success the team had to be while he was there, in order to make himself look better. The only way the two situations are similar is that both were coming off of horrible seasons with few wins and both previous HCs had been a disaster. There's no comparing Douglas, Parcells and McCagnan.

If Gase is still HC next season, I probably won't care who we draft, because it won't matter, and I may have finally given up on the Jets by then.

With the lack of talent on this roster, imo the only intelligent thing to do is to trade down, accumulate more picks, and upgrade the roster as much as possible.

Even if Chase Young plays up to the level of Pace and Jones, it won't do much to help the Jets if the OL doesn't get fixed, Sam gets ruined (if he isn't already), and we wind up having to draft yet another QB in a year or two. In addition, if the offense is still at a below average NFL level, there's no way Young would want to re-sign with us when his first contract is up, and he may even push to be traded before then. If Douglas can trade down, accumulate a bevy of picks and/or trade Jamal Adams for several picks, and draft an edge rusher with one of several 2nd round picks and still draft 2-3 OL, a WR, and CB, great; otherwise, I want all of the 2020 draft going to the offense

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Douglas might even double down to be honest and sign two offensive lineman and still draft two. The good offensive line strategy is working for a number of franchises right now. Colts, Cowboys, etc.

I'm so intrigued by Jack Conklin. He was an All Pro as a rookie and has been banged up the past couple years to the point where the Titans declined his option. I wonder if he's fully damaged goods or if he just needs a change of scenery? I can't find a lot on him on the Titans fan forums either.

5. chandler

please stop with the childish repetition of the same posts

there is no reasonable debate that the draft is the best way to add value to your team. FA are expensive and expect a premium to come to a losing team

the fact that we have sucked at drafting for 10 years does not negate that point.

We need to draft better; hopefully JD delivers but time will tell

6. chandler

I don't watch college football enough to know if there truly is such stud that we should keep them or trade down. If there is an orlando pace on the board, pick him; trade down elsewhere in the draft (with a plan). If there's someone that other teams think is Orlando Pace and we think he's meh, trade down for a haul. (Saying Pace figuratively of course to mean whoever that is this year)

I am optimistic about Joe. I hope he delivers.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i think if we end up at either 1, 2, or 3 - a trade down will be the likely path. and we don't have to move too far to get another pick or 2 or 3. just look what we did with the colts.

if we end up at 4, 5 or 6 then its a bit more murky and i could see us staying at the pick and drafting the OT flavor of the day.

do think its a good bet we do not pick below 6.

8. chandler

Colts are doing it with our picks!! Quentin Nelson and Braden Smith + were what they got for #3

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

if u take away the QB position.....the impact positions that must be solidified are LT, OLB, and WR.

obviously the jets need to focus in these areas.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  10. chandler

How many of us thought the Skins were fools for picking Scherff over Leo -- Best Player in the draft.

Sort of reminds me about that adage of going to a poker game and looking around the table for the sucker

11. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. Yes, it's exciting to think about adding a great edge-rushing prospect like Young to the D, but the reality is it won't be so great if Sam winds up busting because we didn't fix the OL and get Sam a great WR to pair him with, and if the focus is yet again on the D, that's what will happen. As I've said in other posts, Young will not help Sam or the offense. Well, he may perhaps helpt them have them more possessions, but if they're still grossly incapable of taking advantage of those extra possessions, and in fact, those possessions just increase the likelihood that Sam is going to get seriously injured or ruined, then it's meaningless. This team will not win even with the top D of all time if we don't even have an average NFL offense, and right now, our offense couldn't beat an SEC defense. The #1 priority has to be fixing the offense, getting a quality OL in front of Sam, getting him a great WR, and ensuring that he develops, so we don't have to start all over again in a year or two.

I was in the boat of not trading Adams, but am not any longer. He has worn his welcome out here as far as I'm concerned. He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is, nor is he making the impact that he should. If trading Adams would help us to add both Thomas and Young, I'd drive to NJ and take Adams to the airport myself.

As it is, even if Douglas is a GREAT evaluator of talent, is very good (and lucky) in the draft and succeeds in signing some key FAs, it's going to take 2-3 years at a minimum for this team to be competitive because of the offense, and then they still have to find a QB. Converseley, if Douglas is able to trade down a few spots, get 3-4 additional picks, and still get Thomas, another top LT prospect or a top WR prospect, then the turnaround will be quicker, and at least a year, if not two could get shaved off the turnaround, especially if Sam develops. The Jets could conceivably even have a winning record next season if we have a new HC, the right system for Sam, and the FAs and players that Douglas adds in the draft can contribute immediately. If on top of that, he trades Adams, garnering several high picks, the rebuild happens that much faster. Trading down, it's possible that Douglas could add a top LT prospect AND the 2nd or 3rd best edge-rushing prospect AND a top WR prospect, especially with a 1st round pick for Adams added in.

I'm sorry, but imo adding two or three very good (if not great) players at positions of need trumps getting one stud at a position of need. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I will finish by saying that I get your love for Young. I really do. I've been screaming for an edge rusher since Abraham left. I love Young's potential and think he will be a great pass rusher in the NFL, and part of me would love to see him on the Jets. If Mac had any competence at all, he would have built an OL during his 5 drafts and FAs, and we wouldn't be in a position of having to pass up an edge rusher like Young. It's almost criminal, but imo we have to, unless a couple of different things happen. One of those things is if Douglas determines by the draft that Sam is not a FQB, not in our long-term plans at QB and he (Douglas) isn't high on any of the QBs in the 2020 draft. The other thing would be if we trade Adams and get several high picks for him. Then we could take Young with our own #1 and then either take Thomas or another great LT prospect with the #1 we get for Adams, or trade down with that pick.

Unless one of those things happens (and I hope that we aren't giving up on Sam this early), imo we have to put the offense and Sam first. If the Jets don't trade down and don't trade Adams, even as great a prospect as Young is and our great need at edge rusher, I think a large majority of the fan base would revolt that the Jets are yet again prioritizing the D, and the DL in particular over the offense. Even using our two and a couple of threes on offense isn't the same as using the #1 pick on offense. If Douglas missed on that 2nd or one or both of the 3rd round picks, woe be it unto him and the Jets, because the offense will still be totally inept, unable to score, and the Jets will continue to win only 3-4 games a season.

12. championjets69

I think U 2 have to do some research into our #1 draft pick fot the LAST 10 years & then you should immediately if not sooner withdrew this post immediately :mad:

13. NCJetsfan

Trading down elsewhere in the draft, even in the 2nd round, doesn't give a very big return. The 1st round is really the only place one can trade down and get a great return, and sometimes one can't even get it in the 1st round.

If Douglas thinks that Thomas of UGA is on the same level as Pace or Walter Jones, then I won't have a problem if he stays put and takes him. If he doesn't think that Thomas is that much better than the 2nd best LT, but takes him just because we need an LT and turns down a great trade down offer, then I may not be happy missing out on the additional picks, but will understand that with Washington and other teams needing an LT, that it was too risky to trade down.

14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

You need to change your meds, Champ.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You don't have to trade down to get Thomas (the LT from Georgia) though. I'm not against taking him over Young. I agree 100% that the OL needs to be reworked, its absolutely abysmal in every way possible. My main point is that you don't trade down when a blue chip edge rusher or LT is sitting in front of your face. Thomas is going to be a top 5 pick (2 QBs, Young, Thomas, and Jeudy will be the top 5 IMO) - what kind of pick do you think you are going to get for Adams where you could take Thomas later in the 1st round?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I do think we will have to pass on Jeudy this year, just not in the cards to go WR in 1st rd this year.

Chase Young would have to be the pick if we are lucky enough to be in position to draft him. The position is too important and the talent is too great to go any other direction, including trading down. He is a franchise altering talent at an extremely important position which just so happened to be a huge need for the Jets for damn near 20 years.

I’m pretty convinced Jamal will be used to stockpile picks which will free the first rd pick for a generational talent at a high impact position, whether that’s edge or LT will depend on where we are selecting.

We are also lucky in the fact that FA should be pretty loaded with OLineman. Wouldn’t surprise me if JD went the Bills route to fixing OL and bringing in about 10 new OL with the best 5 starting and beat 8 make the roster.

Obviously so much will change between now and when draft talk gets real serious but what won’t change is that Chase Young is a generational talent at a highly impactful position of need.

dawinner127 likes this.
  17. championjets69

Since we get a failing mark since SB3 in drafting & for sure a F for the last 10 years what besides your dreams why do U think the next 10 years we will have "super" drafts?. Also here something to think about if JD is such the hotshot why was not hired elsewhere then NYJs all these years B4 employed him? :mad:

18. NCJetsfan

No, we don't have to trade down to take Thomas, but Douglas may have Thomas rated as the #5 or #6 pick, and we may be picking #2 or #3. He may consider it reaching to take Thomas at #2 or #3. It could be risky, but he may think it's worth it to trade down a couple of spots, get some additional picks and take Thomas there. If he misses, he could possibly trade down a little further and take the 2nd highest-rated LT prospect.

My thinking on possibly being able to get Thomas later is I have seen some posters question his ability and where he will be rated. They have questioned whether Thomas will be a top 5 or rather just a top 10. I was thinking that if the Jets are picking #2 or #3, it might be possible for the Jets to trade down a 2-3 spots and still get Thomas and have additional picks to play with.

In terms of trading Adams to another team, I was thinking that if we traded him to a team that is picking in the top 5-6, we could trade him just for their #1 pick, but may have to kick in some of the draft capital we get from trading down for Thomas. That's not likely, but possible. More likely is if Thomas slides to #6 or #7 in the draft, we trade Adams to a team drafting in the top 7-10. It's still not very likely, but some team may love Adams enough to do that. I don't know what the 2021 draft will look like in terms of talent/strength, but Douglas could even look at that draft, decide it's going to be a weak draft, and trade a future pick or picks to get premium players in the 2020 draft. I'd be surprised if that happened, but if the 2021 draft looks to be weak at positions of need for the Jets, it wouldn't be a horrible idea.

I also said Thomas or "another great LT prospect," so it wouldn't necessarily have to be Thomas.

I agree that it looks like Thomas will be a top 5 pick, but something could happen between now and the draft to change that. Look at what happened to Laremy Tunsil.

19. NCJetsfan

I agree that Jeudy likely won't be the pick. The only way I'd be OK with taking Young is if we got a high enough 1st round pick for Adams that would guarantee that we could get the 2nd or 3rd best LT prospect.

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I think we are confusing a normal : trade down: with teh possibility of getting a massive haul in a trade down. my .02 is if we end up with the 1st or 2nd pick, we could get a massive haul from someone looking for a QB...like swapping down to 8 or something, getting a 2( or multiple 2s) a 3 next year;s 1 plus. If we are talking about a trade down to pick up a late round 2 or something like that, then I just want to draft the player with our own pick