Fins Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Axel3419, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

You are comparing Tannehill's path from the rookie year to Sanchez. I think Tannehill is a better QB then Sanchez but I don't think he can carry his team to deep into the playoffs like Mark did primarily because of how amazing our defense was.

2. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

It is absolutely not relevant unless you are analyzing their play. You sound stupid when you are comparing numbers on a sheet of paper instead of comparing the actual play of the QB.

If you can point out similar flaws between the two you have a point. Until then you are being lazy and picking out a guy we now know is mediocre to dump on Tannehill.

It is great that you watched Tannehill last night (his only poor game) and are now using that to act like you are right.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wouldn't put too much stock in that loss to be honest, as much as I hate the Dolphins, the Saints are nearly impossible to beat at home. One of Tannehill's interceptions bounced off a defender as well.

Once Brees is hot, he cannot be stopped.

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Again, I posted it in response to people crowning a guy as a franchise QB after only 3 games. Not to analyze mechanics. Get that through your thick skull. RT's college metrics say he's a C grade QB in the NFL and so far that's what he's been. For the third time, he's done nothing so far to prove that he's anything other than mediocre.

Before the game, amidst everyone here heaping praise, I said that RT sucks and the dolphins would be exposed by the Saints. Well RT couldn't have sucked more and the dolphins got more than exposed, they got embarrassed. I did watch the game and yes I am using it to act like I'm right because I AM Right.

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

This.

So far i'd easily take Tannehill over Sanchez. He doesn't have nearly as many bad games as Mark had. The biggest difference though is that the parts around Mark were really good.

Great D
    Great O-Line and running game
    More then adequate receivers.

If Mark could have performed up to expectations we would have played it least one of those AFC Championship games in our building. Or it least had a first round bye.

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

So you don't want to analyze mechanics(btw this is an exaggeration) so you'd rather post up a random block of stats that tells us nothing. Good job!

Then you bring up college metrics. Explain to me that you even know what you are talking about with that. Or is that just something you read on a draft forum and are passing it along like you actually understand it and how it specifically translates to RT's NFL game so far.

If you were saying RT "sucked" in his first 3 games of the season, you were wrong. All last night proved is that "shock" sometimes QBs have bad games.

I'm certainly not crowning the guy a franchise QB yet but you seem to be pretty eager to spout bullshit to convince others he definitely is not. When the truth is you have no idea.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we had the Patriots to deal with, we weren't close to hosting games. We would have needed 5-6 more wins in 2009 and 3 more in 2010. Not realistic and Mark didn't cost us that many games.

Tannehill had enough pieces to make a playoff run last year and they were never seriously in the race. This year he has a very good D and excellent skill players on O. let's see them make a title game run.

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Mark cost us a ton of games in 2009 and 2010. Off the top of my head

Buffalo and Atlanta alone he cost us. Saints game as well. Played like crap in the second New England game also. There were other games where if he just played average we could have won.

The back to back games against Miami and New England come to mind where he played like crap again.

Like I said might not have had home field but could have got a possible bye one of those years (probably 2010) which would have helped us a ton. He's not the only reason we were in the spot we were in those years but he was the biggest.

#128 kevmvp, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. nyjunc

he cost us a few. Specifically Buffalo and NO. We had a late lead vs. Atl and our "great" D allowed a last minute Td to lose that game though Mark stunk that day.

In 2010 we lost 45-3 at NE, to blame him is silly. We could have had Joe Montana and we weren't putting up 50 pts. He didn't cost us that game, total team loss. Vs. Miami Holmes dropped a wide open TD that was the difference in the game but mark was a major culprit.

if we didn't get homefield nothing changes, at best were going to be the #5 seed in 2009 which we were. Could we have been the 5 seed in 2010? maybe but then we lose to Pitt in the div rd instead of then title game.

10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Our D-Line was beat up during that 2010 stretch. I remember Tevesau having to be activated for the championship game against the Steelers because of this. An extra week off could have been huge for us. That's really the season where the bye could have been huge.

I don't blame the entire 45-3 debacle on Mark but if he could have moved the ball better and put up some early points, responded to a couple TD drives instead of quick 3 and outs maybe the game goes in a different direction. And yes Holmes dropped a TD against Miami but that doesnt excuse Marks play. He could have given us other opportunities to put up points.

Our D did give up the lead but it shouldnt be all on their shoulders. Would have been nice for Sanchez to move the ball, maybe get another FG or TD at some point and not throw 3 picks.

11. nyjunc

The only way we get an extra week off would have been if we beat out NE for the div title. NE was 14-2, we were 11-5. We would have had to win 3 more games w/ one of them being at NE meaning we needed to sweep NE plus win 2 more games. We weren't one game from the div title.

The whole team was awful at NE, the O couldn't pick up the D and the D couldn't pick up the O. One of those games. At least we made up for it the next month at NE.

12. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

You sound like an idiot. I'm not as high on RT as some others are but he far from sucks. You thinking 1 bad game on the road proves you are right actually proves that you have no clue what you are talking about.

How many starts at QB does he have? He is still extremely raw and has played pretty good football for the most part. He looked bad last night. So what? Every QB has bad games.

24-37-241-1-3
    22-35-249-1-3

One of those stat lines in RT's and the other is Peyton Manning's against the Falcons last year. Does that prove that Manning sucks?

When RT starts stringing bad games together consistently I might join your RT sucks club. I'm smart enough not to do now because he hasn't done anything to show that so far.

13. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

I don't know if I agree with that. Most "experts" pegged the Dolphins for 5 wins or worse. The offensive line was mediocre at best and terrible at times (he would have LOVED Woody at right tackle), the receivers were below average (hence the spending spree on pass catchers), the running game was middle of the pack, the defense was very good but not the top unit in the game. No question the team around Sanchez in 2009 was superior.

14. nyjunc

It doesn't matter where they were predicted. We weren't predicted to be a playoff team in 2009. Miami's D was very good last year, they had a decent run game and while not great weapons to throw to hartline had a really good season. They had enough in a down AFC to make a playoff run- at least be in the playoff race.

The team around Mark was better from the coaching to the talent but people act like we had exceptional talent and that's not true. Our D was #1 in rankings but not a dominant D, our run game was good at times(usually garbage time).

15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I didn't say we would have gotten it. But just because the whole team was awful at New England it doesn't excuse Mark's poor play. Just cause Holmes drops an easy TD against Miami doesn't mean Mark can go 17/44 with a pick, and fumble the ball 4 times. I'm not even getting into 2011 where if he played better in particular games like Baltimore, Denver, the Giant game maybe we make the playoffs that year.

I don't blame Mark for everything but his inconsistencies at QB were bad. There were also plenty of games over the course of his tenure where his bad play got overlooked because we won as well.

#135 kevmvp, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  16. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

So we are to discard the 3 games here he put up a collective 94 QB rating against quality teams but should use the only bad game so far this season against an undefeated team that has often destroyed other great teams in their own building as an overall judgment on his future ... got it.

I'm not saying he's an elite QB, or even that he's proven himself to be THE MAN, but I stand by my statement that I have been extremely impressed by his progression so far. He only started about 20 games in college and now 20 in the pros ...

he flashes so much potential - more so than Henne ever did in his starts or ANY OTHER YOUNG QB we have had since Marino.

As debated as the metrics are, PFF still has him ranked #12 and he still has an 85 rating this season ... If he can end the season with an 85+ QB rating, then there is no reason we aren't in the playoffs. Not saying that QB rating is the END-ALL of factors, but its a good measuring point that most consistent playoff teams feaure QBs that put up those ratings every year.

To sum it up ... to be continued

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I subscribe to PFF's philosophy on judging players. That's why I do think Tannehill is going to be a good player. It's also why I know Mark Sanchez was not very good for the Jets...

18. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Decent run game isn't the #1 run game (the Dolphins were 17th in rushing). And even if you want to say the Jets run game was overrated, the bottom line is that they were able to run it in great volume and lighten the load on Sanchez. The reason they could run as much as they did is because while the Dolphins had a very good defense, the Jets had a great defense. I'll let others decide if it was dominant or not...but there's no doubt it trumped the 2012 Dolphins unit. The Jets defense in 2009 was #1 in yards and points per drive. The Phins defense was 19 and 9 respectively. And Hartline barely cracked 1,000 yards based on volume alone (someone has to get the ball) and scored 1 touchdown. That's like a soft .300 in baseball with nothing but singles. I can't even imagine you'd think a rookie Sanchez would have led the 2012 Dolphins to the post-season.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think Ryan Tannehill can become a consistently good QB in this league. I don't think he's there yet, but I don't think the NO game is a good way to judge him. I think it was just a bad game, not going to be a consistent theme for him

20. nyjunc

our run game was good, our D was very good. Don't let the #s fool you.

did we have a 1,000 yd receiver last year? someone had to get the ball, right?

mark had a better team around him w/o a doubt but Ryan had enough to at least be in the playoff race(and let's not forget the win over us came when Ryan got hurt). I think he can be a good QB in this league, I think that could be as soon as this year but pre 2012 mark was better.