Finally! We find out what we have on the bench!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 26, 2006.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Damn, that was a good post.

2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

And something to add.

Had herm not ran away to KC we would never have drafted Leon, good riddance herm!

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

W/o Curtis leon would have been playing just like Cedric was playing last year. Of course w/o the pick from KC we don't have Leon. mawae would probably still be here and we wouldn't have Mangold but D'Brick would be starting. Cotch was playng asa rookie and played alot last year we just didn't have a QB to get him the ball.

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Washington would be on the practice squad under Herm Edwards. No ifs, ands, or buts. Herm was completely, totally, clueless on how to rear talent and develop a team. All he was good at was giving Monday's off to Ty Law to skip the team meeting.

When he fails at KC, and he will; he will never coach as a head coach in the NFL again.

Other than that, I really do like the guy.

5. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

The point is...we would never have drafted O-linemen under the Sperm Regime. No Nick...No D'Brick...No future for our team. We would have sat our talented young personel, and picked up some aging over-priced free agent while what talent we had went stale. Not to mention the soft training camp that would have led us to being 2-5 instead of 5-3, or even worse!

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Like Vilma, Rodes, Coleman, Mckenzie, Moss, Jordan, Moore, hobson, Robertson, etc...?

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

What abiut Kimo being picked up by the new regime? 3.2M bonus for a 35 year old player. That sounds to me like a move Herm would do in a flash

8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I've grown weary of the Herm threads, which wasn't even the point of this thread.

Best pick of the draft was Mangold, who is going to be an awesome center for a long time barring injury. IMO he was the 2nd best Olineman in the draft and we drafted the best at #4. Herm was loyal to vets, Mangini is looking for best players and if that means a practice squad guy gets to play, its fine with me as long as we win.

9. championjets69

So far I agree Mangold is lite years ahead of the Brick

10. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

Funny thing is, if we didnt get rid of Herm....WE WOULD NEVER HAVE LEON WASHINGTON!!! haha cya herm!

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

Thanks T-Bird. Very much appreciated. :wink: I just feel good about this group.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I don't agree with your statements.
    Is Edwards allergic to first round offensive lineman or something?

It was just about written in stone that Mawae would be gone after the 2005 season. Why are we revising history by saying that particular player would still be with the Jets if Edwards was still the coach?

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Hard to criticise them for picking up what they perceived to be a key veteran piece to the 3-4 defense they wanted to implement.

14. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

Parcells is all about himself and NOT about the team that he is coaching. Splash some water on your face and enjoy his history.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What's up with Kimo? has he been a factor at all? I don't recall him making a play this season. Still holding out hope he'll Palmerize Brady in a couple of weeks.

16. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Brad smith should be on that list too. Forget about brad making it off the bench herm wouldnt have the balls to pick him on draft day.

17. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Props should be given for those picks because they have worked out as well or better than anyone thought. But if you are going to do that then we also have to criticize the Schlegal pick.
    To be inactive for every game so far regardless of the depth chart shows that the pick was a huge mistake at this point.
    A day one draft pick that doesnt even play on the Special Teams squad is a bug dissapointment so far.

18. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Herm is in a very good position in the AFC West. He only has to contend with one quality NFL HC in his divission. Herm will do fine once he figures out you need OL.

19. championjets69

You know me the farthest thig from a Herm lover there is but have to give him props cause in the SD game he DIDNOT play for overtime by dropping a knee but instead he allowed Huard to chuck the rock & KC wound up winning the game on a FG after Huard got them in position

20. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I didn't see the game, but if this is so (and I'm not doubting that it is), it's only because Herm is now well aware of his reputation for conservatism, especially at the wrong time and his penchant for continually playing not to lose. It therefore should surprise no one that the Hermster would try to make some calls this year that try to rectify these shortcomings (or at least somewhat silence the critics), although it's got to be painfully hard for him to do this because he's totally out of his element and unsure of himself in doing so, unlike Mangini/Schotti, who seem comfortable with taking educated, calculated, intelligent, percentage-laden chances to win. If he's making an attempt to now appear to be the coach he always said he was ("You play to win the game"), he's more than likely doing it because his reputation has already caught up with him at KC, not because he's comfortable doing it, and in doing so he can now proclaim, "See? I always said I was a coach who plays to win the game!"

But be that as it may, perhaps Herm learned something from his tenure here and from the criticism he so rightfully earned... and that's good. I wish him the best and hope he'll become a better coach. But this is all why, in the end, he had to go and why we weren't afraid to caution him about not allowing the door to hit him in the ass on the way out. He never would have learned any of these lessons if he were still here. Perhaps he's better off, I know we are.

Sorry.. didn't mean to make this a Herm thread... just wanted to respond.