Ferguson wants more D'Money

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Doogstein, Apr 2, 2010.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The chemistry arguement only applies to the win it all in 2010 strategy. When Faneca is replaced as a starter, the chemistry will be gone anyway.

Mangold and Revis must both retire in Jet uniforms. There is no higher priority for this team.

Once those two are locked up we have to do what we can to keep our other core players (Harris, Brick, Sanchez, Edwards, Cromartie, Cotchery, Pace, Greene, Pouha, and Scott).

2. lightning

lightning Active Member

Pouha? sure he was solid this year but he doesnt belong in that sentence, and neither does cro until he shows it

3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm with you on Pouha - he was solid but not irreplacable, as for Cro lets see what he does before judging him.
    :up:

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We badly need a starting DE for the future. With Jenkins back I am very interested to see how Pouha does at DE this year.

5. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

It would definitely be a shame to lose Harris. While Scott might be the mouth of our defense, I think Harris is the heart.

Defense by body part (why not? im high)

Head - Leonard
    Mouth - Scott
    Heart - Harris
    Arms - Revis
    Legs - Jenkins

6. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Ferguson is not the best OL on the team. Yet after the monster rookie contract he had and the slow start he wants to bitch. He isn't even a top three offensive linemen on this team. Nick is the #1 center in the league by far. Faneca and Woody are old but they can still play. Moore is playing his position just as good if not better than Ferguson plays his.

In another thread a GREAT site was posted which breaks down every stat even for offensive linemen. See link and you will be amazed at how good our guys are.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_posi...e=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Stats for 2009
    Mangold - Rating 31.8, Sacks allowed 1, QB hits 1, QB Pressures 5 (#1 C)

Damien Woody - Rating 18.0, Sacks allowed 3, QB hits 0, QB Pressures 10 (#2 RT)

Brandon Moore - Rating 13.7, Sacks allowed 1, QB hits 2, QB Pressures 8 (#5 RG)

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Rating 11.9, Sacks allowed 6, QB hits 3, QB Pressures 9 (#5 LT)

*Alan Faneca - Rating -9.2, Sacks allowed 6, QB hits 2, QB Pressures 15 (# !@#$)
    (Faneca has a low rating based on Pass blocking stats, but when you see that we run behind his block more and the animal he truly is makes his rating an anomoly not the norm.

I agree Ferguson is a top five LT but he should worry more about fullfilling the first contract and less on another big payday. When he is playing like Jake Long and Joe Thomas he can get a new contract.

7. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Moore? He's well worth what he's getting paid. I'd dump Woody before Moore.

8. IATA

IATA Trolls

But what is his Madden rating?

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Great breakdown. This is why Rhodes was so pissed, he was no longer the head and tried to become the mouth, but no one can talk over Scott.

10. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

You put my Brooklyn-Jew Grandma in that locker room and she'll outtalk Scott any day of the week.

11. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Ferguson and Mangold. Mangold seems to be pretty much the consensus top center in the league, I think he's legitimately too good to let get away. Ferguson might not be a top five LT in the league, but he's a rock solid player who's never missed a game and has gotten better every year in the league. And most importantly, LT is a much more difficult position to fill.

I expect to see at least one or two offensive linemen drafted in the middle rounds this year, because resigning both Ferguson and Mangold will require cheap talent in other spots. Ferguson's new deal probably won't have him consuming a much larger chunk of future pie (mmm, futurepie) than his #4 pick deal did, but Mangold is in line for a huge raise, probably close to on par with what Ferguson gets. I don't know how much longer Faneca wants to keep playing, but if he wants to be here beyond next year, he'd probably have to take a paycut, and the same might be true for Damien Woody. Add in the rockstar deal Revis will be getting sooner or later, a potentially big contract for Braylon Edwards (I'd be shocked if Tanenbaum lets him get away after looking for so many years to get a player exactly like him), and the Jets cap looks interesting, but not unmanageable.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Gholston the ass hole?

Edit: Im sorry that makes no sense an ass hole serves a purpose and that is demeaning to ass holes. Gholston is more like the appendix or tonsels or the gooch or nipples if your a dude.

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Agreed.

I'd be surprised if any big names get a huge contract extension this season from any team. Until their is a new CBA in place, there is literally no market after this season.

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Yes he is, and the amount of time it takes to be good has no impact on how good someone is.

The Jets are going to be the ones begging him to restructure after this year when he has a 10 million dollar season coming up in 2011. What will happen to that "play out your contract" talk then?

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No he's not.

I disagree with your second point too. If a player starts off slow it takes him awhile of good performances to be in the discussion with the "best in the league".

Keep in mind I never said ferguson was bad. I feel he is excellent but top 5 after limping into the pro bowl? Nope

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

What helps us be able to pay those guys is we pay nothing to our running backs whereas other teams invest big dollars in that position. Nor do we have big bucks invested in Wide Receiver or the secondary (as of now).

In the next year or 2, a few vets who make money will be gone. Ellis makes a ton, Bryan Thomas is highly paid, Faneca makes a ton. Leon will never get what he wants. Obviously we will need guys to replace them, preferably through the draft so their contracts are manageable. I am not really too worried because I have all the faith in the world in Tanny.

17. jetjunkie

jetjunkie New Member

won't be able to keep the OL together much longer, but the late roung picks we've been spending on the OL haven't been panning out.

18. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

Haha definitely the appendix... lets cut that bitch out

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its rare for any 5-7 rounders to make a big impact in the NFL.

That's why an early pick needs to be used, and I want Pouncey because of it.

He's not starting right away, unless there is an injury. And one injury kills the OL on this team. With a solid backup, even a high potential rookie, the chance for strong season is higher than using the depth on the OL now. the OL depth is scarier, because the DL is interchangable. Brick can't play guard, Moore can't play LT, and Mangold can't play RT. But the DL can be moved around accordingly, whether its player or scheme.

20. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

That isn't strictly true, in fact it's not true at all. Woody could play anywhere except LT and be solid, thats what made him a great signing. Mangold could probably do the same if there was ever a reason to, RT being a little bit of a stretch, tackle is different enough to take time, but he could absolutely move to guard. Offensive linemen can move around when they have to, it's just that whenever you do see them playing out of position, it usually indicates that at least one and probably more than one starters have gone down with long-term injuries. ie, worry less about how Woody would do at LG, than about how the guy coming off the bench would do at RT.

Paying big money to guys like Mangold, Revis, Harris and Edwards likely means whoever follows in the footsteps of Faneca and Woody will be working on the cheap. Hopefully Sanchez develops by then to the point where we won't have to run over 8 men in the box every week.