Favre to wait before deciding on '09

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 8, 2009.

1. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

We had a team fall apart in the last 5 games, and that's not all on Brett. When the defense was performing, and I think alot it has to do with Jenkins tiring down the stretch, we had good field position and were in the position to win games.

At his current age, Brett should only be a game manager, but with the ability to have a lights out game once in a while.

With the QB's we had on the roster, we would have lost to Arizona, been swept by the Pats, and would not have stood a chance against the Titans. We may have beaten the Hawks or Niners, so that would have put us at 7-9. Brett was worth 2 wins IMHO. I'll certainly support him if he decides to come back for the final year of his contract.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Chad Fan, right?

I concede Favre's play was problematic at times, but he played far better for the Jets than Chad did in 07, and I didn't hear the Chad Fans call Chad a douche bag.

3. Big Blocker

You're talking sensibly here. Some won't like that.

4. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

I love the blind Favre followers. I wish I could meet one in real life so I could point my finger and laugh. If I was a Jet fan that stat would make me uneasy. I didn't realize he was so close to that record, Favre can say what he wants but everyone knows he's chasing records and that's a biggie.

5. Gator

Gator Active Member

I would bet not one Jets fans cares about that, just like the PAcker fans that came aboard care more about Brett than the well being of the Jets.

Here's my thing. He needs surgery, right? So shouldn't he get the surgery RIGHT NOW so that he has time to heal and then work out, train, & do all the things players are supposed to do to get ready for a season? I swear, Michael Strahan not participating in camp and then winning a SUper Bowl was the WORST thing to happen, because now all the veterans that are already HOF'ers are gonna want to do it.....though it seems Brett does it anyway.

Get the surgery right now if you want to come back. If it was his shoulder or arm that went and it can go back to 100%, I would want him back for one more go round too. This year was fun.

6. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

If my knowledge is correct than Brett does not need surgery but I am just going on what I have heard so far.

7. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

For whatever it's worth, I also winced when I read that. This is not something I would expect any generic jets fan to give a d@mn about.

This Packer carpetbagger only came here because he was looking for Jets+Favre (together) to go to playoffs, and with a bit of luck & dreaming, a Superbowl. Same as anyone else here. In reality, there really are no more records for Favre to get. Regarding this 271 thing, this is actually the first I was even aware of it. At best it would be a small footnote on his career stats.
    That was my original thought too, but then I learned he had the same injury a couple years ago and was advised to have surgery and opted not to. So he has some reason to believe that he might be better off without it.

#27 puddnhead, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Like it or not, at this exact moment in time he is our best option for QB in '09. Hate him all you want but there isn't anybody on the team right now any better. We may just as well fess up to it now. It's no different now than when we only had Pennington and he was the best option.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

But Brett Ratliff threw 2 awesome passes in preseason.

10. Gator

Gator Active Member

We need him to be healthy. If he's rubbing his arm again by week 3, then what good is he? If he's the same player he was in week 17, I would disagree that he's the best we got. Maybe Clemens can suck a little less and therefore be better.

11. Don

That's what I thought too, just rest.

12. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

None of us have time machines to go into the future to see if he'll be rubbing that elbow or not, gator. That includes BF himself. You'll just have to live with that uncertainty if he does come back.

I think Don's point is, if you did manage to find that time machine, there's also a chance you could be seeing the 2007 wk17 Favre or the 2008wk12 favre playing on 2009wk17. Nobody knows which one will be there.

#32 puddnhead, Jan 8, 2009
  13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

:rofl:

Thread crossover FTW!

14. Don

I should have added that IF he was healthy.

15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm more upset with Favre for things other than the INTs he threw. I'm disappointed in hearing some players thought he was "distant," for example. True, some of this came from "Anonymous," but I believe it could have been the case because there were many times on the sidelines toward the end where the camera showed him standing off by himself just staring at the scoreboard.

Then there was that last huddle in Seattle, "If we win we win, if we don't we don't." WTF?

Francessa said it best when he said, "Where's the leadership?" That's what disappointed me most going down the stretch... he seemed content to just hang around and play the QB position, "but don't ask me to lead shit." The one thing we did have with Penny was that kind of emotional, sideline leadership (and no, for those waiting to jump on that, I do not want Penny back).

So, no, I don't want Favre back, not now. MAYBE the INTs can be corrected, but the one thing you're not going to correct with this guy is the lack of emotional leadership and "belonging" to the locker room. He wants to do the press conference and leave the building. And don't expect to see him again until game time next week. Don't look for any extra corricular activities either. And then there's the blase' "I may retire and I may not" bullshit again. We deserve more commitment than that stuff.

It's like Rhodes said, "If he comes back he should come back and participate in everything... all the early, off-season drills, etc." So no, I'd rather work with Clemens or Ratliff and take my chances... at least we d have a QB who gives a damn about playing here and contributiong to the overall team experience. The fact that he isn't even willing to get the minor surgery RIGHT NOW tells me volumes about this jerkoff.

16. Don

A lot was made of that and I believe he was trying to take the pressure off the team with that statement. It is my guess he wanted to win that game more than any other player on the field.

WHAT surgery? He doesn't need surgery for his bicep and his bicep is his only injury. He pretty much said near the end of the year that if he did need surgery he would probably retire. He doesn't.

#36 Don, Jan 8, 2009
  17. Big Blocker

Where has it been established that he needs surgery?

And there are no off season drills etc in the next month.

I don't recall anyone complaining about his lack of leadership when the team was 8-3, either.

This whole "He sucks!"

"No, he's great!" debate is really silly. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Nuance might be less compelling, but it is more accurate.

Right now I don't know what the odds should be, but it's certainly possible Favre might come back. If he does I am not going to complain too much about it, although I do think that will hold back the development of the medium term picture of who will be Qb'ing these team, which is a problem. But if he comes back, he'd better get more prep work in this off season, and do what Rhodes referred to.

And if he doesn't come back, then it's on to the next phase. And hopefully the team will maximize the situation regarding other options. Either way, assuming the right things are done, I can live with the results.

18. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

And his name is Brett.

19. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Dammit! Do you have to be so right?

I can't stand where we are right now with this QB situation. This is why I was pounding the table last March for Flacco. And here we are again... a year later... still jacking ourselves off.

Can't stand it. The rest of the team just doesn't need this either... guys with some decent talent on this team, and we're all going to sit around until August either wondering if Favre is the man or if we can bring someone in or if Clemens or Ratliff have it. We just won't know a lot of this for many, many months. Just a deplorable situation.

20. Don

I'm not sure that's true. If Ratliff is the guy then it probably will. If it is somebody we will draft this year then it won't at all.