Favre Gets Big Kudos

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Nov 2, 2008.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Lighten up some. Buffalo has a very solid ad quick defense particularly in the redzone. While not ideal,I take 4 (should have been 5) field goals as opposed to taking a gamble on an interception on double coverage. It was not Shotty's fault when BF had Coles all alone in the end one and did not see him.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I see your point MP. VISION also mentioned about the offensive line. Those are great points.

I guess my point is, he has that "thing" that other defenses have to respect. Lets remember the Cardinal game on what was it, 4th and 1?, when he threw the long pass for a touchdown when we were in the same positon, we were just looking to use clock.

Lets face it, Favre is all over the radar gun right now. I think a lot of that is his fault and the coaching staffs fault. Even the fans. Everyone was looking for him to come in and have a "Cardinal game" every week. The gunslinger, at times, loses his mind and has done things even the old Brett Favre wouldnt do.

Brett has always been a risk taker..but never like this. This was the perfect game....slow things down..show you can win a game, a big game, without Brett having to do much. Slow the expectations down a bit.

All things happen for a reason. The interception he threw...even though I had to walk out of my house and walk around the house two times and then come back in and sitdown... COULD end up being a blessing. For the first time, the offensive line showed what they are capable of doing. I turned to my son during that drive and said "this might not turn out great..but what you are watching right now hasnt been done around here in a long time".

A game changing interception...a hostile crowd...first place might be on the line...even the season...and we take the ball back with over 10 minutes to go and eat up almost the whole entire clock..and put three points on the board to boot...making it add up to a 9 point lead..game, set, match.

For a stupid little 31 yard field goal...that was one of the most impressive drives I can remember in many years. Sure we have had drives to win games etc..but to protect a lead? A lead that was on the verge of being taken away by a horrible interception return?

Never thought that would happen..and never saw it coming.

3. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Especially when the opposition thought the Jets were going to run. The Jets just went down the field and did whatthey were supposed to do. I was very impressed especially after the momentum change. I have to admit that I thought Jones was impressive today and for most of the year. He was hard to bring down and got big plays when it counted at the end of the game.

4. jaywayne12

Exactly..good point johhny. The last thing you expect a team to do after a game changing int in your own building is pass down the field again. Look at the film....the Bills had 8 guys in the box on every play. On Jones long run, they even had an overshift of their lb's on the side he ran to...I was thinking...dont run right when I saw their formation..even said it out loud..and bam...he was gone.

You are dead on.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It was a team win. Except for the one bad throw Favre did his job well, the O-line and running game did their job, the defense gave us 10 points, should have been 14. They gave up yards but got turnovers and Revis iced the game. That's how you win against good teams on the road, not with individuals putting up fantasy numbers.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

That may be true, but here's the deal, whether you want to acknowledge this or not.

The biggest thing Favre brought to this team is not his arm, or his experience, or his Hall of Fame bullshit. The biggest contribution (and what we DIDN'T have before) is a positive hope that yeah, maybe we can do this now... maybe we can be contenders. He brought that... he was the finishing touch, capping off an off-season of acquisitions and improvements... his arrival brought the belief of his fellow Jets teammates that maybe we can pull this off.

Not knocking Pennington, but we were in a rut with that guy. We didn't really have that true hope before. Yeah, Penny talked a good game, but with all the dinks and the dunks, all the Sundays starting to look the same... locked in an offensive pattern of short yardage 3-and-outs. And it got even uglier toward the end, with the defenses crowding the box so bad you had Pick 6's from the 10-Yard Line from 5' away.

It was a team win yesterday, but it happened because the Jets believe in themselves now, that anything is possible. And bringing in Favre is the icing on that cake... the change the Jets needed to realize, "Yeah, we can do this."

HUGE win yesterday. HUGE. The biggest win of the season to date, bar none.

Now we need to build on it, one game at a time

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Miami may turn out to be the biggest win of the season to date. That my the team in our division we need to worry about. They have already beaten NE and Buffalo so far. You just don't see it when it is the first game of the year, just like this one wouldn't have looked very important if it was game 1.

#47 Don, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  8. jaywayne12

Wow..dead on post.

And I got news for all of the bullshit posts and newscasts saying the Jets just did the same thing...dink and dunked with Favre yesterday.

Those were not the dinks and dunks Pennington threw...thats bullshit and really pisses me off when writers write that crap. Those short passes on slants yesterday WERE NOT PASSES PENNINGTON COULD THROW.

9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I think that's where the upgrade is with Favre. I certainly think we could win with a healthy Pennington, Miami is proving that, but Favre gives us an intangible element most QBs don't bring. That's why as much as I was for Chad returning and starting, we were smart to get Favre if he wanted to come here and commit to playing for the Jets. Having said that, I still think people go way too far in knocking Chad, I mean who wouldn't Favre be an upgrade from? Brady and the Mannings maybe? Doesn't mean we couldn't have won with him, we did win with him.

10. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I agree completely. I feel the team, or at least many of them, believed in Pennington and that he could get the job done. But having Favre does bring you that intangible... plus the guy has got the job done before. Been there done that. I said a few times before I was all about upgrading to a better QB, but I just never believed we could have went out and made it happen. Now that we have, even I am more confident we'll do better now. :smile:

11. Section 227. Row 5

My big concern now is looking to the future. We need to be grooming the right understudy because he may have to take the field as early as 10 months from now. Joe Flacco was my dream, but I guess I can't have everything.

I probably ought to relish the here and now and enjoy this season, wherever it takes us.

But yesterday was a HUGE win. HUGE. Huge confidence builder. Huge learning experience. Huge move in the standings. Huge move toward possible playoff hopes.

Yesterday was just unbelievable. We've got to build on that now.... one game at a time.

12. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Then sir, you have the wrong person QBing your team. Favre made his career on throwing back across the field, without his feet set. In fact, watch him throw the ball. 60-70% of the time, his feet are not set. Even on deep balls. Even on deep balls across the field.

That is why so many view Favre has possibly having the strongest arm to ever play in the NFL. Not because of the zipped balls that others can throw at times, but because he can throw it with that zip without putting anything on the throw except his arm.

It's one of the those plays that Favre would of wished he threw it further up the field then he did, but he got absolutely crushed and soemthing tells me that he knew he was going to get nailed hard and it caused him to get nervous just before he let go of it.

I wont start saying, throwing wise, that he isn't what he once was either. Last season was very good proof that you know what, Favre still can make all the throws he use to. I think he still can. It was just bad throw due to pressure. If he had an extra second, I think he would of gotten it more up field. He just rushed it and it didn't go where he thought it would. It happens.

Take the int in the playoff loss last season. Favre thought the ball was going outside, but it went inside for the easy int. It happens.

#52 packerbacker1234, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the same thing whenever he takes some monster hit, the guy gets up slow, walks it off and is immediately fired up in the huddle.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

That's what getting old does to you. No different for a boxer. You can see the play you just can't react to it as quick and all of suden what used to be easy is rushed. Being a veteran sometimes you have to win with guile.

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Alot of good posts on this topic...... bottom line is the Jets won with a strong TEAM effort, big division win on the road, but left ALOT of points on the field. This could of very easily been a blow out to the tune of 37-10. But Favre is still learning the O. The second half is going to be very exciting.......let's start it off with a nice win at home against an inferior team. The Jets of the past would find a way to blow this upcoming game. Let's see how this year's team does...

16. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Nah there was no play to be made there. We had the ball and a 13 point lead in the 4th quarter. It was 1st down. No pressure to make a play. Throw it away. In fact.....why the hell were we even throwing to begin with? Run it on 1st down and get 4 or 5.

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Stop making sense!

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Yaaaayyyy! Someone gets it. Yeah lets open the O up when the O-Line is getting penetrated like a 80lbs whiteboy in county.

19. Section 227. Row 5

Good point, but with age also comes wisdom. And it becomes an interesting tradeoff, the loss of agility and motor skills being substituted with the use of common sense and street-smarts.

Now, tossing those bombs into double coverage last week hardly constitutes time-honored wisdom, but I'd like to think Favre still has the wisdom to discern what's smart and what's stupid.

Yesterday, he showed he's still capable of taking advice and discerning. So now, let the second half of the season begin.

20. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Actually if you replay the game and look at it, the lane was covered.