Fact or Fiction: Are most Jets fans really Mets fans?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by pimentel79, Jan 26, 2008.

?

What's your allegiance

Poll closed Feb 3, 2008.
  1. Jets/Yankees

78 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Jets/Mets

71 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. Jets/other

33 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I always thought it was because, up untill recently i guess, but for a good chunk there it just seemed that way because all the frontrunners liked the yankees and giants ,not saying there arent true yankees/giants fans but that they get saturated with the fake ones and in response to that alot of people who are jets/mets fans dislike the other teams because of their frontrunning fanbase and like the opposite.

I am a Yankee/Jet fan because that is the household i was born into and have been following both teams without question regardless of their performance...there is no other option.

2. pisano24

pisano24 Member

This post is as gay as your profile picture

3. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I rest my case.

4. jobabrinks

jobabrinks New Member

Jets, Mets, Nets.

Number of championships during my fandom: 0

Scary as it sounds, the Nets have come closest...

5. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

I'm a Yankees/Jets fan and there are a lot of us. I think those team relationships were true in the old days because of the fan logistics and loyalties. That just isn't true anymore. In the tri-state area there are all kinds of fan affiliation combinations. That Mets-Jets and Yankees-Giants stuff is old school. Thing have changed. Besides, I need some balance in my life.

6. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Same except it was the Knicks who were closest for me.

I casually root for the devils but I wouldn't consider to have any ownership tied to it. I have to admit also, as a half-assed fan of hockey I would love for the Islanders to be good again.

7. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Jets, Devils, MetroStars, and Mets for me.. I only got to see 3 cups with the Devils, and in 95 I was young, and don't really remember.. The other 3, nada..

8. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

Jets/Yankees/Olympiakos/Knicks/Rangers.

Olympiakos cause when I was young my family from Greece are mostly Olympiakos so when I actually became a fan of soccer I started following them.

My older brother was really into the Yankees so in 96 he had huge parties for the WS games and Being 10 and in a room with a bunch of older kids I felt awesome and was like yeah I like the Yankees too. So when I got into baseball I started following them.

The Jets is a weird story, I didn't start enjoying watching football until 2000, my best bud would go to this kids house on Sundays and he took me with him and we watched Jets games and thats it really, I was like oh wow I fucking love football and I guess I'm going to root for the Jets, which soon became an obsession.

As far as Knicks go, they are the only NY team for basketball so I naturally root for them.

And I'm not into hockey at all really but I state my allegiance is to the Rangers since my cousin tried converting me when I was younger.

I'm fairweather when it comes to these last two as I really don't like the sports enough to follow them loyally, so I obviously want them to do well and if either goes to the postseason I'll catch a game and obviously hope they win one for NY. I do enjoy NBA Playoffs though in general, it is far more entertaining watching just good teams play.

I'm only a fan of NY teams, I'm very prideful when it comes to where I come from so rooting for a random team from another state is just really weird to me, no offense to anyone that is like that. Oh and Olympiakos is from Athens which is wear I live when I go to Greece so there you go.

9. jaybny

jaybny Banned

:eek:fftopic:who cares? all other sports sports suck!

10. honestcl

honestcl Member

Jets
    Giants
    Mets
    Yankees
    Knicks
    Islanders
    Rangers

In that order.

Started with the Jets after seeing them on TV here in England beating the Raiders in the 1982 play offs and then to save arguments at school I opted for ALL New York teams (that way I couldn't get accused of front running regardless of sports and whether or not they were any good. 1985 saw kids in England claiming to Chicago Bears AND Kansas City Royals fans! That just took the piss!)

1986 was a good year for me though! :)

11. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

Somebody made mention of this old thread as well, just thought I'd bring it back.

12. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I believe this whole thing is bogus. If you ask me It's a lot easier for a Yankees fan to be a jets fan, and there are many reasons why I feel this way.

Examples:
    1. Yankees play in the American league, Jets play in the AFC (the football version of the American league.)
    2. Mets play in the National league, Giants play in the NFC (the football version of the National league.)
    3. Yankees share there division with Boston there most hated rivals, Jets share there division with New England (the football version of a Boston team) also rivals, and quickly developing into there most hated foes soon to eclipse the Jets/Dolphins rivalry.
    4. Mets share there division with a Philadelphia, and Washington team, and coincidently so do the Giants.

If you ask me the only thing Mets/jets have in common is sharing there division with South Florida teams, they're New York's latest sports franchises, and at one time shared a home in Shea stadium, which by the way means absolutely nothing unless you were born prior to 1974.

Sports fanship in many occasions has to do with a certain experience that drew you to a particular team.
    for example: most of my friends, more or less my age who root for the mets, also root for the Giants. Because they were kids when they first began to get acquainted with sports, and it was at that time that the Mets won the '86 world series, and the Giants won the Superbowl shortly thereafter.

My point: It shouldn't matter what team you root for in different sports, as long as your rooting for the team that was assigned to you by birth in that city. If your a Mets fan you could root for the Jets or giants. Same goes for Yankee fans, 1 sport has nothing to do with the other.

Let's dispel the myth today. I am yankees, Jets, Knicks, and Rangers. What's your sports allegiance?

13. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Just the Jets for me. Baseball is too boring to follow for 162 games, so I cant follow one team..

14. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Just the Jets for me as well. Baseball puts me to sleep.

15. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

Can this thread be merged to go along with the poll "What's your allegance?"

16. celtasnake

celtasnake New Member

Jets / Celta de Vigo

17. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Jets
    Mets
    Knicks
    Rangers

Fuck life. At least the rangers are really good this year.

18. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

THe Classic Jets Mets Knicks and Rangers....

Rangers are my only hope right now.

19. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

woah, that was pretty uncanny.

20. Sixto

Sixto Member

Yankees/Jets. Since birth.