ESPN's Kiper talks Jets' potential draft day scenarios

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Feb 14, 2013.

1. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Then they should go with Justin Hunter, his teammate at Tennessee and a flat out better player. This Patterson hype is absurd. I've now seen multiple mocks with him being selected in the Top 15 and 10 picks and Hunter in the second or third round.

Anyways, the ninth overall pick, if kept, will be used on an OLB and more likely than not that person will be Dion Jordan, Jarvis Jones or Barkevious Mingo.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Patterson is a stud. He's going to be a big time player in the NFL.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

just curious if someone knows the new rookie contract rules....i think they're different for players taken in the top 10 or maybe 1st round.

Based just on this, would it help us to drop down to 11 to avoid any top ten bullshit?

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

WTF does this mean? Explain Rex apologist.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

ok, you are the only one who doesn't understand "true to the board" so i will try to explain.

looking at the top of this years draft the odds are pretty good that a defensive player is going to be bpa. i am sue rex and j.idz are well aware of the offensive issues,however if they stay true to the board they will select said defensive player as the bpa rather than reach for a lesser valued player in an offensive position. this is the smart way to draft as you reduce the risk of selecting a bust at the top of the draft.

in no way is your theory of defensive player = j.idz is a puppet even remotely close to reality. it just means they followed the bord and took the bpa.
    but you will spin it as rex is in control and continue to add nothing to discussions

6. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

They could also trade back instead of staying put and drafting another D player. I think that would be the smart move

7. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

It takes two to trade. Unless Geno or Milliner, Moore, or Star falls to 9, I don't foresee many teams wanting to trade up for our pick. If they do, trading down is definitely the best option IMO.

8. FJF

disagree, this team has to find elite talent on both sides of the ball. to me its better to take a shot at 9 than try to find a guy later on when the high end talent has already been picked thru

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Since they reduced the rookie pay it makes less sense to trade down and more to trade up for elite talent. You get an elite player at a discount under the new rules. The Jets need more elite players period.

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I don't think there is much true "elite" talent in this draft. So to me it makes more sense to trade back when you have 2 vacant spots at both G and OLB that absolutely must be filled, as well as big questions at QB,RB,WR,TE,S.

11. FJF

wr is not a ?. hill was having a typical rookie year and only the darksiders truly believe he is a bust.holmes hill kerley is more than adequate if the qb play is any good.

that said, if thats how they see the board thats fine, me personnaly am hoping for a game changer in this draft. i think there is abetter shot at that happneing at 9 than at 20 and a 3rd round pick

if that makes sense

12. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

If the Jets get in the 4th RD with 6 picks already, this would be completely " Bonkers "

13. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

You are right I almost deleted the WR part before I posted it. I just think that Hill is an unknown at this point and Holmes is to a degree as he has quit on the team and been injured in back to back seasons. He definitely has ability though when he is motivated and all it takes for that to happen is good QB play. You are right.

14. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Ever since the Jets got Holmes, the plane has been taking a nosedive. Dump him and stabilize the plane.

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Maybe not a ? but WR should be viewed as a position of need. Holmes days as a Jet are coming to an end. We already know from watching Hill, rookie WR need almost an entire season to adjust to the pro game. It's gonna hurt if Jets wait until Holmes is gone to bring in their rookie WR replacement.

16. FJF

ok, but over what position. right now olb , og, rb, qb,s,te are all more pressing needs than a wr to groom for the future. with little cap space to work with i don't see many of these holes being filled via f.a.

maybe it changes and my view will change as players are added leading up to the draft. but speculating right now, there is no way to jutify taking a wr before the 5th round right now unless the board falls so that a stud is there that no one thought would slip to he 2nd. definitely not in the 1st though

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

The same could be said of you, but I only adresss the team, you attack posters, sure signs of no valid argument. Come back when you validate your posts.

18. FJF

i'm not attacking you, just pointing out your m.o. in regards to inserting some sort of "rex is running the orginization"," this team is a circus" francessca-ish
    dribble ino every thread on the board.

19. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

If Jets are being built for the long run, not to make a playoff push next season then WR is a position of need. Just like OLB, OG, RB, QB, FS, SS, TE, OLB#2, OG#2. If you're not a believer in Howard, then RT is also a position of need.

Holmes is only here for one more season. If the Jets see somebody in the 2nd, 3rd round who has a shot to be #1 receiver in 1-2 season they need to consider it. Should they reach for it? No way. However, WR should be getting just as much priority as the other positions of need.

No matter what order you choose to plug in the holes, the Jets need at least 2 years to fill them. The Jets can have a solid 5 rounds of drafting without touching WR. They can also have a solid 5 rounds of drafting without touching FS or SS or TE.

20. duncc5

duncc5 Member

I understand what you're saying, but the Jets have several positions of need (G,RB,WR,S,TE) where you rarely have to use a top 10 pick to find an elite player. IMO we just have way too many holes to burn picks by moving up... For example, instead of getting an elite OLB at #9, I would rather trade down to the 15-25 range and pick up an extra 2nd (if possible). In this draft, with 3 picks in the 25-55 range, we could definitely find 3 very good players that fit our needs.

That said, if there is someone there at 9 that is an absolute no-brainer, I'd have no problem with JI pulling the trigger (Geno, Star, Werner, etc)