ESPN's Kiper talks Jets' potential draft day scenarios

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Feb 14, 2013.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Jordan, Stepfan Taylor and a Guard in the 3rd rd, that would be a nice first 3 picks. I could also easily see a trade involving Revis or Cromartie which would just give us more picks in the first 3 rounds. It's tempting.

2. PaPZ187

PaPZ187 Member

I have been dying for a pass rusher since we traded Abe to ATL for the 1st rounder we used on Mangold.....

Unless there is a franchise type QB sitting at 9 (which we all know there wont be) then you can't pass up a legit pass rusher IMO. RB, WR, OL, TE, S, etc have a much greater chance to be found in later rounds (Leon, Cotchery, Kerley, Brad Smith, Slauson, Moore, Rhodes, Coleman just some examples) much easier than that dominant pass rusher.

Sent from my LG-P999

3. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

A stud pass rusher (Jordan, or Jones if he's clearing medicals with his back) at 1st and I'd be smiling, as it would relieve SO much pressure for whatever secondary we'll end up with.

Finally getting a solid pass rush will ease the growing pains in the secondary should we miss out on Revis or Cro and the safeties from last year.

#23 Swedish Ale, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I think I may be the only guy who isn't high on Mingo...

5. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Not knowing what to specifically evaluate in respect ofwhich techniques or abilities should be considered when considering how well a DE will translate to being an OLB who of the players mentioned appear to have the potential?

I would surmise that very good athleticism and mobility range is needed ie ability to drive forward but also open out to drop into coverage as situation dictates is key. Or are we going for a player at DE to be purely pass rush? I don't watch any college football so would appreciate the views of others

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think you may never visis the draft forum. The vast majority there are not.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This.

We EITHER need a Revis who can cover for 5 seconds while our lead foot linebackers chase the QB around -or- an average backfield that can cover anybody for the 2 seconds it takes someone like Lawrence Taylor to tear the head off the passer.

Watching the other team's QB get his head torn off is always more fun than watching Kyle Wilson pretend to cover someone for 5 seconds!

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Nope. Me either.

9. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I like the analysis in this thread but I still think trading down for a 1/2 or 1/3 would be the best move. It's time to load up With 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, the offensive line can be repaired and some impact players can be obtained.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, trading down is the best move unless Jarvis Jones is there and the Jets medical staff believes he is a safe pick despite the spinal stenosis. The spinal stenosis is really going to mess him up later in life, the question is when later begins.

11. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

For years I thought the NYJs should trade down and get BPA. Thats what needs to happen this year. Trading Revis and/or Cro would be the best thing right now if they can "slam dunk" and get at least 2 legit pass rushers the need for "shutdown" corner deminishes.

So many needs. The new GM for some reason, I believe in him draft wise. He has built a damn good team in Seattle and took players who all excelled expectations and went under the radar. I like the "new" direction the NYJs are going. Believe in the "process"

12. wildaces

wildaces Banned

13. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Me think you smart

Well,....

about this anyway

14. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

BPA builds "Championship Teams"

Drafting to fill needs will always produce dissapointments, in fact it will cause you to "miss" the mark completely and call the pick a bust.

Aquire picks for Revis/Cro/Tebow and who ever else is worth trading and go BPA, this is the "right" thing to do

15. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

4 years without one semi dominating OLB in Rex's system.

We need someone to come in and step up soon.

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Let's say we keep drafting defense. We have the best Defensive guru as HC and our defense only allows 14 pts per game. That would be tremendous, but if you can't put more points than your opponent what does it matter?

We need balance and we need to shore up the offense.

A defensive player with the 1st pick let's you know Rex is still running the show and that Idzik is a puppet.

#36 TNJet, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Not necessarily. The offense isn't very good in this draft. Especially at the top.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

no, defense in the 1st lets you know that they will stay true to the board.

but don't miss a chance to spew some ignorant statement to appease your rex hatred

19. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Please don't use logic.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm not thrilled with the idea of Mingo because he wasn't a dominant player in college.