ESPNEWS: Kevan Barlow to the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by deviljets7, Aug 20, 2006.

1. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Exactly. Hey someone gets it, how about that. Geez, a fourth rounder for Barlow, know wonder why Tannenbaum jumped at that, that's a nice value.

C'mon, let's here from some of ya know with the, "oh I wouldn't have given more then a 7th," crap,,,, cmon.

2. mudman

mudman New Member

Good value for a 4th.

No, he probably isnt the answer for the next 5 years and wont be compared to LT, LJ or Alexander any time soon....

But, it's a 4th round pick! You get that superstar talent in the early 1st round.

That said, he could surprise on the upside and perform like an above average every down back over the next three years, which would make this deal an absolute steal.

I know everyone wants something for nothing on this board, but this is as close as you are going to get.

Mud

3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Ya know, I wouldn't worry about the 4th. For all we know Mangini could shop the extra round 2 pick in '07 and get a 3rd and the 4th right back.

4. Coach K

Coach K New Member

yeah im not exstatic about the trade. but id say barlow's market value would definitely be a 4th.

especially in the bargaining situation were in.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Very good value for a 4th in my opinion. If he finds himself here we could suddenly see this team win 10 games out of nowhere instead of being capped at 6 or 7 wins due to a stagnant offense.

6. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I don't particularly love or hate the trade either way. I'm fairly confident that he'll get a year to play here, prove to be nothing much more than a part of a committee, and be cut next year; giving up the 4th rounder stings a bit, but I guess they thought he's worth the shot.

Barlow is average, he was a good compliment to Hearst a few years back, then when he tried to be the man himself he couldn't handle it for very long. He's unmotivated, has a bad attitude, and nothing near the talent to justify that or his big salary (especially as it escalates in the next two years). Though, I'd rather have him than pay anything more for Duckett, who is just bad (and yet somehow looking for a big pay-day).

To me, it's like putting a bunch of band aid's on a huge, gaping leg wound. You know you won't be able to do anything productive until your wound gets healed, but you decide to put it off, slap a few band-aids on it, and limp around. Blaylock, Houston, Washington, all are decent enough, but none, nor any combination of them, will get it done.

The only way out is drafting a Running Back very early, and just putting all of our eggs in that one basket, and the more desperation RB talk I see, the more convinced I become. Even if that guy doesn't become a stud, it's a step showing they want to at least try and make the position a solid one.

7. lightning

lightning Active Member

For this coming draft class i'd rather keep the 2nd.

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Did Barlow pass the physical, yet?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Drafting a runningback next year on the first day is probably a given at this point. If Barlow can put together a decent season it will tell us that he's motivatable because he has nothing to play for specifically for next season. He's signed through 2008 already. Or put another way he'll be playing for the contract he already has signed instead of a pie in the sky deal.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

No problemo. I can't discuss draft yet, with my head bearly out of the bunker. Jan. '07 will be time to start for me.

11. NamathDays

NamathDays New Member

quite to the point...we seem to run hardy physicals...

12. lightning

lightning Active Member

The draft gives me a chubby no matter what time of the year:). Anyway, thats enough daylight for me. Back in the bunker i go.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

As evident by your light saber.

#233 GreenHornet, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2005
  14. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

I wish people would stop saying 'Jet fans' always complain no matter what. I'm a Jet fan and I'm not bitching about this trade. It's always the same group of people that bitch and make stupid staements. I don't really want to be associated with those people....

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed here...

16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I would've preferred not to give up a 4th, considering it's going to come right at the beginning of the 2nd day, which is a key spot.

17. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

don't we already have two 2nd rounders? if we do, I don't think losing a 4th rounder is that big of a deal.

18. NamathDays

NamathDays New Member

To be honest...at this time of the year...with this team going thru its growing pains....basically ...complaining is a healthy outlet...I mean we are THE JETS!

19. Denny

Denny Active Member

I think the trade is a decent one. I doesn't break the bank. I believe Shotty is looking for a proven back who can be more versatile. I think Barlow is being brought in for a better than avg recieving statistic. Last year 7.8 and career 8.3. We have guys for running between the tackles. Barlow might be a Richie Anderson type guy coming out of the backfield on play action and screens.

I'm gonna give credit for at least trying to get this team to a certain level in year one. This move can go nowhere or play a critical role in the offense. I'd like to know how his pass blocking was in SF.

20. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Makes you wonder.......

POSTED 12:05 p.m. EDT, August 21, 2006

SPECULATION MOUNTS THAT JETS INTENTIONALLY FLUNKED SUGGS

In the wake of the trade that sent running back Kevan Barlow to the Jets from the 49ers, there is growing speculation in league circles that the Jets knew that Barlow was available before deciding that Browns running back Lee Suggs was not able to pass a Jets-imposed physical.

The Jets acquired Suggs last week in a trade with the Browns, but Suggs failed the physical due apparently to a knee injury that Suggs had suffered in college -- and that had not prevented him from practicing with or playing for the Browns.

The speculation (and we emphasize that it is only speculation) is that the Niners offered up Barlow after word broke of the Suggs trade, that the Jets then nixed the Suggs trade by finding that he had flunked his physical, and then that the Niners and the Jets opted to wait a few days before doing the deal, in order to defuse any suspicions regarding whether there was any winking and/or nodding going on between the 49ers and the Jets before the Suggs deal went down the tubes.

Meanwhile, one league source has offered up an opinion regarding our story from earlier on Monday as to the Jets' emphasis on character guys and the decision to acquire Barlow: "If they were that concerned about high character and people, this trade that they just made really goes against that thought process." The source added that Barlow's reputation in league circles is far from stellar, and that he's not regarded as a high-character guy.

Also, to the extent that the Jets are being perceived as doing things the "Patriots way," there are other deviations. The team's decision to circulate a depth chart with the players listed in alphabetical order is something that not even the facts-frugal Bill Belichick has ever tried to get away with.