ESPN radio just reported that.......

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by freshjuicyj, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Isn't their SB winning GM the guy who gave us a first rounder for Keyshawn and then had to get rid of him for NOTHING midway through a season? I can't wait for the deal to be done.

2. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

So I think you get the idea thatt we don't want Duckett? :)

As an Atlanta fan, hopefully objective, what would you propose as a trade to get this resolved?

And TBJ is right, we can sign and trade Abraham when we want..no Fri. deadline.

3. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Actually he's the GM who gave us TWO first round picks for Keyshawn

(but, in fairness, he did win a Super Bowl)

4. Rcky_Mtn_Falcon

Rcky_Mtn_Falcon New Member

True enough.

They haven't completed the trade, because Abraham hasn't agreed to a LTC with Seattle, but they have agreed to the offer in principle.

So far as the trade value.

To move up from # 31 to # 15 in the draft, it would take the Jet's 3rd and 4th round picks. Then Atlanta is still giving 113 more value points, so you see why giving up the 15th without a little more compensation is unlikely.

If it was me, I'd offer our 2nd and Duckett to Pittsburgh for their 1st. Duckett would fit a lot better in their scheme, and with Bettis retiring they need a bruiser. They would be getting Duckett for the equivalent of a late 3rd rounder. Then we could offer the Jets the 32nd pick in the draft, which is only a 10 point value difference.

I know that sounds like a Madden trade, and I don't play Madden, but it would net the Jets a 1st rounder. :up:

5. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

But if we have an offer of the #31 from Seattle why would we want the #32 from You (via Pittsburgh).

The idea is to OUTBID the other guy.

I don't understand your reasoning.

6. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

No to Duckett. The birds have no intention of keeping after this year. He's trade bait at that and probrarly worth less than Ramsey.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think the Falcons will cave before the Jets do. This isn't just any pass rushing DE. This guy has:
    -Made three Pro Bowls in six seasons.
    -Had double digit sacks in four out of six seasons.

Yes he has had some injury troubles, but there is no doubting his talent if he's healthy.

I can't think of any player who has the potential to be this good in the 2nd round of the draft. If the Falcons' Front Office stops and looks at some tape of a healthy John Abraham play, I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem giving up their mid first round pick for a guy like this. Anybody on this board can tell you just how dominant he can be.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Can be is the key point. Abe can be dominant at times but he has yet to put in a completely dominant season..

9. Rcky_Mtn_Falcon

I know, it was just a stupid round about way to get the Jet's the 1st round pick they crave. We could always throw in our 5 to give a little more value.

So far as your earlier question as to what I would give. That's really a tough question, I'd like to get this resolved, so we could move on with our offseason.

Whereas Seattle is still bringing in high priced FA and have the Hutch deal hanging over them. Atlanta isn't working on any other deals until we have this resolved one way or the other, or so it seems from a fan perspective.

Seattle is spending their cap space and if we wait long enough, they might not be able to sign Abraham, forcing them to pull their trade offer. This is like a high stakes game of poker, and it seems as though McKay is waiting for Ruskell to fold. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

By the time it's all said and done, come Thursday our offer might go up, but until then I think it's a waiting game with a lot of speculation.

If it was me I might offer our 1st and 3rd for Abraham and the Jet's 2nd. I doubt our front office will do that though. We have a lot of holes to fill, but from my perspective. Our needs would fall nicely with 2 picks in the 2nd round. We wouldn't have another pick until the fifth in this scenario though, unless we made some other trades.

#69 Rcky_Mtn_Falcon, Mar 19, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  10. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

As I jet fan I wouldnt do that.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I have read that after Friday it gets much harder to trade someone with the franchise tag because the trading team (the Jets in this case) would take a cap hit (a trade made before then would involve no cap hit). Is this not true?

12. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

That's an interesting and well written response.

As outsiders looking in, can you give us Jet fans some insight into the Ruskell/McKay relationship and how that might be factoring into this soap opera.

Thanks

13. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Others may elaborate, but my understanding is that this would be structured as a sign and trade, not as the trade of a franchise player.

That being said, it is structured so that the signing bonus/roster bonus is the responsibilty of the team Abraham is traded to.

If anyone can fill in the detail, fire away.

14. bigmwyfan

bigmwyfan New Member

Falcons offering LB D. Williams and 2nd Rounder

I saw the Falcons may be offering OLB D. Williams and a second rounder now. He was drafted 2 years ago in the 4th round but was expected to be a second rounder. Very good speed and big play making ability.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/playerBio.jsp?id=1899

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Tbird gave his take on it in the 3/19 Daily News thread this morning, I just noticed. Apparently the cap hit was true in the old CBA, but not the new one. If that's the case, the Friday deadline is illusory, since the Falcons were obviously never going to just sign him and give two 1st round draft choices.

16. Rcky_Mtn_Falcon

That's why we're at an impasse. You're willing to accept and offer from Seattle that has less value than what I just proposed.

So it seems as though you're just trying to screw Atlanta and Abe because that's where he wants to play.

17. AlToon

AlToon Member

Super Bowl winning GM?McKay didn't even want Jon Gruden.He wanted another Tony Dungy clone Marvin Lewis.Without Gruden,McKay is not a SB winning GM.McKay lost a power struggle to Gruden.Too bad TB has limited cap room,I would send Abraham to TB just to burn McKay

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I do that in a heartbeat... But I think that you just made that up.

19. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

So your first post ever is to come on with an unsubstanstaited rumor?

No credibility

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

The deal you proposed is one that the Jets would have to do. If they want to recoup the second round pick, they can do a trade down, and get a pick in the second round near the one they gave up, PLUS they have an extra top 15 pick, and an extra mid-3rd rounder.