ESPN: Mike Wallace can dominate Darelle Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Jan 18, 2011.

1. pittguy578

pittguy578 New Member

Definitely don't do a crossing pattern with him. He is the best cover corner when it comes to defending the pass over the middle. I would take a shot or two down the field with Wallace but it would have to be a pass along the sideline.

2. RevisCromartieisland

another garbage article by ESPN

3. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Complete rubbish! All those stats, but not even mentions once that Mike Wallace is 92 years old. Completely ridiculous. How can I take this guy seriously?

4. lillloyd

lillloyd New Member

OK, I've read the article three times now. There is no mention of the word "dominate"...that is, except in the OP's title (and several outraged responses). Am I missing something here? Are people actually reading the article?

The author's point seems very far from Wallace "dominating" Revis; all he seems to be saying is that Wallace can still have a "productive" day (which *is* a word actually used by the author) even if Revis spends some time covering him. He says that this is because 1) Revis may not actually cover him on every pass play and 2) when Revis does cover him, Wallace runs a couple of the routes where Revis isn't completely impenetrable, so he may get a couple of catches that way.

The author concludes that because of the above, Wallace can still post "quality numbers". That seems a far cry from "dominating" Revis. In fact, the whole point of the article seems to be that Wallace won't be completely dominated himself (i.e. that he may still some catches).

I guess I'm not understanding the outrage. Is it because the author seems to be saying that Wallace won't be shut out completely? As phenomenal a player as he is, even Revis will give up a catch or two...honestly this article doesn't seem like a big deal.

FWIW, allegedly Tomlin loved Revis and might have taken him at the 15 slot had the Jets let him slip by in '07. We ended up with a terrific player in Timmons, but let's face it, shutdown corners are rarest of commodities, up there with stud left tackles and franchise QBs. I wonder what our D would be like with Revis ;)

5. GreenMachine

And the Jets have all three.

6. RevisCromartieisland

"Wallace will post quality numbers" is a horseshit certainty and you know it. The fuck is the clown doing asserting that it's guaranteed Wallace will have a "quality day" against the best corner in football?

Not only that, he uses a garbage baseball simulation by some nerd to tell us that .....was there even a point to that?

And next he uses a statistic with a hilariously small sample size to say Revis can be beat.....rather easily?

The article was written by a clown. It establishes shit.

7. RevisCromartieisland

I think that was his point

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I have no idea where the OP got the word "dominate," but the actual ESPN article has the following headline and subhead:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/play.../columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=6033214

That sounds to me a lot stronger than that Wallace will catch a couple of passes. Of course, the columnist doesn't write the headline.

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

do it. I wanna see someone other than Brady throw at Revis.

10. lillloyd

lillloyd New Member

Exactly. Typically copy editors, not the actual authors, would write the headlines of articles for newspapers; they would make the headline more catchy or dramatic. I assume the same holds true for internet articles.

I say this because there's a clear disconnect between the title/subtitle and the actual article's content. If you didn't see the title, you'd never conclude that the author thinks Revis should "fear" Wallace. I think this is a classic case of an editor trying to spice up a pretty dry article to spark a response. Apparently this works ;)

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Only a total idiot would say that. Revis has been beat in every game. When there are 40 passing plays, and Revis is targeted 4-5 times, it means he had excellent coverage on atleast 30 passing plays and probably above average coverage on 5 other plays he was not targetted on. And he was targetted, QBs thought it was the best time to attack him. They'd complete less than 50% on him, with him giving up about 2-3 catches a game, mostly short, quick routes. Everybody knows those are much easier to complete. Its not rocket science. The dumbass writer is trying to work the numbers and show Revis is giving up an 80% completion on "slant, post, skinny post, deep in" since wk 8 when Revis has only given up just 4 completions in the last 10 plus games. Anyone with a little bit of sense can tell you the writer is reaching big time here.

Revis has said it himself. Speedy WRs give him the most trouble. That doesn't mean speedy WRs will burn him every time. It just means he is 'less' dominant on some occasions.

Revis will not follow Mike Wallace in this game as Cromartie does a great job against speedy WRs with his size and speed. Revis will follow Hines "I was Irrelevant" Ward.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Personally I only got far enough to understand the retarded comparison/conclusion about the baseball simulator and shutdown corners. Once I read that I saw enough to realize the author was a fucktard and the article was worthless. If he's suggesting Wallace can make a few catches there's obviously nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't change the fact that the author is a retard.

13. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

These type of articles are great......

Don't forget Rex prints these out and gives them to his players as motivation

14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

An article claiming Revis will give up a few catches on Wallace is still outrageous... There I said it. :)

you're probably right, but wasn't Revis selected 17th? It was either 14th or 17th... I'm gonna check right now...

Yea, it was 14th, I'm clearly not a Jets fan.

15. numbah58

numbah58 New Member

I guess we'll find out Sunday.

16. joejets1

joejets1 Member

This is a terrible article, someone should reply to the write if possible and say what happened when Revis defended Wayne, TO2x, Ochocinco 2x, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson 2x , Moss(when he was healthy)

17. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

BSPN shining once again.

18. Salz

Salz New Member

"Some of that production came early in the season, but Revis still struggled late in the year against slants and skinny posts, as pass catchers were 4-for-5 for 54 yards on those routes against Revis since Week 8."

Kind of deceptive because quite a few of those plays were third and longs where Revis was willing to give up a short slant as long as they didn't get a first down.

19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Revis will not be on Ward. He's a shell of his former self. Ward was mostly on Sanders last game, and I think he'll be about 50/50 with him and Wallace.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Revis on Wallace. He's their best receiver, Revis gets paid big bucks to shut down the best receivers.