Eric Decker Officially a New York Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ctjetsguy, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Capt. Ace Nick

Early nicknames - Flight Deck, Double Decker Jet, Better than the last 2 Eric's we had, Capt. Emerdecker .

I only am taking credit for the last one...it's shaky I know...the 1st 3 I found on the Twitter

2. NCNYJETSFAN

NCNYJETSFAN New Member

Bottom Line is that the Jets WR's are better today then they were yesterday

3. JamesHasty02

JamesHasty02 New Member

I'm just saying did we really upgrade the position? Lose Holmes get Decker. I wouldnt be shocked if Decker is out of the league in 5 years. I'm not trying to be negative. Even before he was a jet I had the same opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong and this guy is more than a system guy.

Jets69 and The 1985er like this.
  4. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

LOL comparing Holmes to Decker?

Holmes was a fucking scrub last year clearly past his prime. Losing Holmes is a plus.

5. JamesHasty02

JamesHasty02 New Member

while i do agree Holmes was a head case. I still think if i had to win a game I'd rather have him at WR than Decker.

6. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

I am so pumped to finally have some top level WR talent. It's been so long. Add in maybe Jones or Nicks, draft a WR, with Nelson and Kerley. I have a feeling Geno is gonna do really well this coming season.

7. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

^^wow... awful post.

Jets69 and Capt. Ace Nick like this.
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

To compliment Decker I think we go after a deep threat guy like Marquise Lee in the draft

TonyMaC likes this.
  9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't really disagree with this. I certainly think Decker is an upgrade at wideout, is in his fifth season entering his peak years most likely, and did well with a competent Qb (Orton), a great Qb (Manning), and did as well as could be expected with a shitty Qb (Tebow).

I did not know the 2011 discussion concerned yards. But in yards per game his average went down with Tebow from Orton, too.

Anyway, I think it was a good signing.

10. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

Oops wrong thread...
    Love decker tho

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

geno was at 6.88 ypa last year with bottom of the league level receiving options ... that should increase

and ypg says little about a qbs status ... russell wilson threw for less than 200 ypg last year

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Think of it this way.

If Decker locks up Revis, Jets win by margin of 5M. They should be able to use that to tip the scale elsewhere. Let Decker run free deep, and let Revis chase him. If he does chase Decker, forget both. Jets are up 5M somewhere else. If not, Jets have a chance down field.

13. Big Blocker

The Smith Fans here point to his play in the last four games, where as I pointed out the playcalling and his own lack of mistakes lowered his turnovers, but also lowered his ypa, and averaged less than 200 ypg. You can go back to his season long ypa total, but please add in all the turnovers if you do.

The key to Smith's upcoming season will be whether he can limit turnovers while increasing the effectiveness of the passing game. If he can do that reasonably well, he might escape being a bottom tier NFL Qb.

Wilson is an outlier on the passing yardage metric since the Hawks had such a great D and this gave their O better field position. The Hawks were 8th in points scored off the pass, with the Jets 29th despite an arguably more effective rushing attack to supplement it (look it up). But yes, in passing Seattle was 26th in ypg, but the Jets were worse at 31st. And finally let's not forget that the Hawks were tied for third lowest Int's, so it is obvious that Wilson season long played in a successful conservative passing attack.

Smith did not season long play in a successful passing attack. WHen they went conservative and limited turnovers, the ypa nunber went down, and season long he was near the bottom in passing yardage.

14. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Decker 5 years 35 mil than Golden Tate at 5 year 31. Idzik went out and got us the top WR available at a decent price.
    Our offensive overhaul still has long ways to go but this was a great first step.
    Decker/Kerley/Nelson/Hill isn't bad as long as we can get another WR and a playmaking TE. Throw in Marquise Lee or Eric Ebron and we have some serious potential to put some points on the board next season.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

16. Big Blocker

THis just adds to my feeling the Jets should deal with their Cb situation by bringing Cro back, so they can go for Lee in the first round. I don't know much about him other than that his style of play on paper is a perfect complement for Decker's, and going with a high draft pick for the other wideout makes sense financially as well.

Once again, please no Cb in the first round.

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i am not comparing geno and russell wilson ... you made a statement that under 200 ypg would leave him as a bottom of the league qb and that is false

cam newton, alex smith, and colin kaepernick all avg around 200 ypg while still being quality quarterbacks

18. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

This seems off to me. If he isn't a no. 1 rec then he shouldn't be paid in the top 30 or so of receivers by definition. Admittedly there will be overlap and contracts for rookies may unbalance things, but someone everyone clearly feels is a good number 2 being given the 18h highest WR pay in the NFL doesn't jive with me. What am I missing?

19. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Those numbers may be based on this yer's numbers only and not a true representation of their per year averages. For instance if a WR is on the last year of a heavy front loaded contract, he will seem a lot cheaper that he actually is on a full contract basis.

20. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

You're missing the fact that every other wide receiver received their contract over a year ago (or much, much longer). Today, with the NFL's salary cap much higher than expected - higher than its ever been, in fact - every single position is going to make more money. Five years from now, when below average wide receivers are going to be making $7 million like its nothing, Decker will still be making that same amount because he signed all the way back in 2014.

There's a reason Austin Howard has the 2nd most guaranteed money of any right tackle. It's not just that he was overpaid -- everyone is going to be "overpaid" by yesterday's standard. Prices are rising, but longterm deals help suppress that.