Eric Decker Injury

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 15, 2014.

1. CaneGreen

CaneGreen Member

Did you Just compare any other reciever in the *world* to megatron? :/

#41 CaneGreen, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

brandon cooks was 3 for 17 yards yesterday...im sure everyone would be bitching about that stat line also

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

The guy is tied for 24th in yards man we've stunk at that position to think Decker is a true 1

4. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Calvin Johnson is a "true #1" WR, By every sense of the word. If you're not on that level ( or close to it as far as taking over games and demanding coverage ) then you're not a #1 as the OP stated. Calvin is doing this with every defense he faces knowing that he's going to be "The Guy". 1 would argue that aside from Stafford, the Jets have a better offense surrounding Decker then Calvin does surround him.

There are a number of other guys I can post numbers for that are better then Deckers. he is currently tied for 24th best overall WR in the league. There are 15 players that have scored more TDs then he has. He's 29th for yards per game @ 68.5.

I don't understand how that equates to "True #1" when he's not better then most of the starting WRs in the league.

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm so tired of this "true number 1" nonsense. Decker is a good WR and easily our best . . . end of story

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Other players people bitched about passing on:

Cody Latimer - 0 catches on the year
    Jarvis Landry - 5 catches for 49 yards on the year
    C. J. Fiedorowicz - 0 catches on the year
    Bruce Ellington - 0 catches on the year

Clearly, people here are draft experts.

7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

We're all experts after the fact :)

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Come on, man, Calvin Johnson? Nobody was under the impression that Decker was going to light the world on fire when we signed him, he's a big possession receiver who runs great routes and has excellent hands.

And hey, it wouldn't be the first time you've been wrong about a receiver this year, eh? j/k

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

No way they do that they're even worse off at WR than we are

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Ellington and Latimer are on teams that are deep at WR. They are not even getting playing time yet. That's fine, they're rookies, not all rookies are inserted as starters day one. But on the Jets they'd be the best receiver on the team after Decker. The other guys I was never a fan of.

11. BroadwayAaron

You can't with confidence say Ellington or Latimer would be better than Kerley. That's not even the point, because I'm not shitting on those guys... I would have gladly welcomed them aboard. I'm just saying for those that want to act like Brandin Cooks was the home run pick over Pryor, think of all the other guys that you labeled a homerun.

12. CaneGreen

CaneGreen Member

When talking about wr's you must account for the QB and offensive scheme. Does your offense throw the ball 50 times a game? Is your QB a veteran or is this his second year and he's still learning? Do any of your other wideouts command respect so that your 1 gets fair 1 on 1 majority of the game? Sometime you gotta look at the big picture to understand why things the way they are. Untill we get another threat Deckers numbers are going to up and down depending on who we play...

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

motherfack

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Great post. I agree completely. The term came from fantasy football "gurus". 15 years ago such a term didn't exist. You were either a good WR or a bad WR. There was no worrying about if a guy was "no.1" or not.

Take Wes Welker for example. 20 years ago he is looked at as a truly great NFL receiver. Yet his whole career there has been the argument that he's "not a number 1"... because he played with Moss, because he plays from the slot, because he's not the deep option.. idk. who the hell cares what option he is or how he is productive. He has been awesome.

nevbeats319 likes this.
  15. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Well the first game, he got called for BS offensive pass interference, which would of put him over 100 yards. If Vick doesn't lead him to much, he also has a TD in that game.

4 catches for 63 yards yesterday was not that bad. If he did not get hurt, he would of probably finished with 80-1oo yards

To compare him to Calvin Johnson is just not fair. Calvin and the other top tier receivers like Julio, Dez are in leagues of there own.

But you can make the argument Decker is equal to, better then or worst then, some of the other #1s in the NFL. I rather not start listing because the argument is moot.

Only time will tell if he is a true #1, and through the first 2 games, I think it is fair to say.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I had no issue with the Pryor pick. If anything I would argue we should have taken Roby. Cooks is a homerun in NO. On the NYJ, he is lost in our blackhole of an offense.

17. BroadwayAaron

I know, I wasn't directing that at you. But spot on with the Cooks stuff. If we took Cooks, we'd have people screaming that we didn't take Kelvin Benjamin.

74 and nevbeats319 like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Davante Adams looked pretty good yesterday.

19. BroadwayAaron

Again, take into consideration the QB, the style of play and the players around him. Put Kerley on the Packers and I guarantee he's a threat.

nevbeats319 likes this.
  20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He's probably a threat but I doubt he's a "thread"

;)