Ed Reed is a JET

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thatisjetsfootball, Nov 14, 2013.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Ed Reed is one of my favorite NFL players so this is cool. Hopefully Rex eases him and doesn't think Ed Reed is Ed Reed of old. If we play like a full time starter, we are going to be disappointed. If we use him situationally, well I think we can get excited.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I've been a Giant fan since I went to my first game at Yankee stadium in 1963and I've been a Jets fan since 1965. I'm also a Phoenix Cardinals season ticket holder and had Junc on ignore since 2011. Facts!

I don't think Ed Reed took a snap in the Houston game I went to last Sunday, if he did he was invisible.

#222 Biggs, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

the reason you have me on ignore is b/c you can't deal with facts.

4. Denny

Denny Active Member

He brings a good veteran presence into the locker room for our young D-Line. He's hurt though. I hope nobody is expecting greatness. Maybe he can settle Holmes attitude down.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What a fraud you are.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If it works out it might be a game changer on a D that is weak in turnover ratio. Probably Ed will not start or be overused. He'll be in on passing downs and with a good D line rush it could give him a chance at interceptions. He knows where to position himself and how to read Qbs esp inexperienced ones like the Bills rookie starter. And when a ball is thrown in his territory he catches it.

7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Outstanding, thanks for playing Houston.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is what I wanted to hear!! Exactly what I was expecting:

Manish Mehta
    How safety Jets safety Josh Bush introduced himself to Ed Reed today: "I said, ‘Mr. Reed, how’re you doing? I’m your shadow.’" #nyj

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Fraud? :rofl: Why don't you start another uniform envy thread.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Check out the last underlined part. Some of our defensive players wanted his autograph!! I LOVE this!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

11. 101GangGreen101

Pick a team and stay with it. You sir are a fraud. Do you know anyone that is a Yankee and a Met fan? Or a Knicks and Net fan? Didn't think so. Sounds like a casual fan that shouldn't make judgments on players.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is just a guess but if feels like Reed is going to be in the pass defense package, coming on the field when 5+ DB's are out there.

I think Antonio Allen is going to wind up with more snaps than him in the big picture because I think Allen is also going to be on the field in that package most of the time.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Almost everyone I know is fairly well adjusted and roots for their home team. They may follow one team more but for the most part they always root for the home team in the playoffs. Granted most Mets and Jets fans have an inferiority complex that they can't get over but most well adjusted fans over the age of 30 that love Baseball and Football would love a subway series or a Jets/Giants SB. So yes you would have to be an ass to root for teams from other cities against the Mets, Yankees, Jets or Giants.

As far as the Cardinals. I live out in the area in the winter and like live football. The seats are reasonable, there is no weather or hassle factor with traffic, it's an absolute pleasure to go to the games and I have a shot at SB tickets next year. I sit next to 2 Chicago Bears fans and an old Packer fan. Lots of fun.

14. mute

mute Well-Known Member

the BILLS will be good practice for him.

15. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Ed Reed: Expectations with the New York Jets
    Ed Reed: nine time Pro Bowler; eight time all pro; 2004 Defensive Player of the year; sixty-one career interceptions, including a record nine in the post season and a pick six in last year’s Super Bowl; undoubtedly, a future Hall of Famer. Quite the resume. His past pedigree aside, what can Ed Reed bring to the 2013 New York Jets?

Honest Perspective:

Now 35 years young and a true grey beard, Ed Reed is no longer the menace he once was. Reed has clearly lost a step. His pursuit speed and mobility have faltered, in part due to off season hip surgery. He was never a punishing tackler and should not be relied on in that regard. However…

Its All in the Noggin:

I am not alone in my belief that Ed Reed may be the most instinctive defensive back of all time. Much of his success over his highly decorated career is due to unparalleled play recognition and field awareness. Reed can masterfully anticipate a route, read the quarterback’s eyes, undercut the throw, and make a play on the ball. He is a ball hawk to the core. As the years take their toll on his physical abilities, Reed continues to prove his worth. Instincts and awareness are the aging free safety’s best friend.

Not convinced? Look at Charles Woodson or Darren Sharper. Woodson, even at 34 years old, was a vital cog in the Packers most recent championship run. Similarly, Sharper joined the Saints at the age of 34 and finished the year with nine interceptions, three for touchdowns, a trip to the Pro Bowl, and a Super Bowl ring.

Reed’s Role:

The Jets currently have the 24th ranked pass defense (254.1 yards per game). Besides the Bengals outlier that dramatically affects these statistics, there are many reasons for the Jets inability to stop the pass. Antonio Cromartie’s recent struggles are well documented, Dee Milliner has been slow to adapt to the pro game, and the Jets have lacked a true free safety. Enter Ed Reed.

Antonio Allen has risen above the competition. Solid tackling, good instincts, and improved man coverage have solidified Allen’s place on the team. Dawan Landry has been stout against the run and as the quarterback of the secondary. Jaiquawn Jarret and Josh Bush are solid role players and special teamers but leave much to be desired. The Jets have been running a variety of three safety looks this season and even a diminished Ed Reed can provide a serious upgrade. Lets outline a package where the veteran safety could excel…

Cover 1 “Robber”

Robber is designed to take away the middle pass zones and confuse the quarterback’s reads. The play calls for a man look with a middle zone (“robber”) and deep safety whose assignments can be easily disguised. The way it has been and can be utilized by the Jets is in a three safety, three corner, one linebacker, four down look.

[​IMG]

The outside linebackers (presumably Pace and Coples) are lined up as five techniques (on the outside shoulder of the tackles) and are responsible for attacking the C gaps. The defensive ends (presumably Wilkerson and Richardson) are lined up as one technique defensive tackles (inside shoulder of the guards) and attack the A gaps. The cornerbacks (presumably Cromartie, Milliner, and Wilson) are assigned the wide receivers and the linebacker (presumably Davis) is responsible for the running back. The best man coverage safety, Antonio Allen, takes the tight end. Finally, what makes the robber technique so unique is the play of the other two safeties. One plays deep center field and the other, the robber, plays a unique, mid-field zone.

In the Jets case, Landry would probably play the robber role and Reed would play the centerfield safety. The Jets could not play Cover 1 Robber to its full effectiveness with Landry or Jarrett playing the centerfield role but Reed is perfect for the job. Both the centerfield and robber are watching the quarterback’s eyes to anticipate and jump the route. However having Landry at robber and Reed at deep centerfield puts both players in their natural positions, in the box and ball hawk respectively.

Cover 1 Robber is just one example of many three safety looks Rex Ryan has and will continue to employ. In all of them, Reed as the deep centerfield will provide help over the top for the struggling cornerbacks and prevent the big plays we saw against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. Playing in a deep zone will allow Reed to use his instincts for positioning and prevent quarterbacks from taking advantage of his dwindling physical abilities.

Perspective Checkpoint:

Reed is 35 and dealing with a hip injury. He will not play 100% of the snaps. Nor will he play 50% the snaps. Expect Reed to get, at most, 20-25 snaps per game in obvious passing situations. His instincts will allow him to be effective as a deep centerfield safety but don’t expect him to be in his Pro Bowl or Defensive Player of the Year form.

Reed as an Upgrade:

Jaiquan Jarrett, the pre-Reed third safety, has a total of eighteen tackles. Josh Bush, the Jets only true free safety, has eleven. If Reed can rack up even one pass deflection or an interception he will be an on the field upgrade over any Jets safety not named Landry or Allen. Reed will also make an impact…

Off the Field:

Allen, Bush, Jarrett, and UDFA Rontez Miles are all young and impressionable. Who better to teach them the minutiae of the safety position than the future hall of famer. Reed can impress on them the film room, weight room, and on-field tactics that made him an all world talent.

It would be poor journalism to ignore Reed’s sometimes questionable locker room attitude and the impact it could have on this particularly young team. One factor may mitigate this potential issue however…

Rex Ryan and Ed Reed Have History:

Rex Ryan coached Ed Reed for most of his tenure in Baltimore. Ryan and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman are major contributing factors in Reed’s success. The three of them developed a strong bond in Baltimore’s defensive meeting room. Like many of his former players, Reed only had glowing praise for his “then and now” coach. Ryan’s former players, who have seen his ability to get the most out of presumed “washed up” athletes, reacted to the signing on Twitter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What is There to Lose?

According to Ryan, the only reason Reed wasn’t a Jet before the season was because of financial restraints. All the better! Now, the Jets get Reed for seven games on a prorated veteran minimum contract for a grand total of $411,250 (re: Joe Caporoso). So money is not an issue.

Before inking the deal you can be sure that John Idzik and Ryan detailed Reed’s role to him. He must be content with seeing Allen and Landry take snaps ahead of him to have signed in New York.

Finally, the Jets cut the underperforming Ricky Sapp to make room for Reed. Sapp did not have a presence on special teams and, even with extended opportunities, failed to capitalize and make an impact as a pass rusher. Aside from occasional flashes, the Jets didn’t lose much on the field by signing Reed.

Another low risk/high reward signing by Idzik…

Low Risk:

Perhaps Reed will have a cancerous effect on the locker room, but probably not. A united and talented team with an established core of leaders and a strong head coach will keep the locker room together. The money is not an issue. So, in the end, the Jets worst case scenario is the status quo.

High Reward:

Reed will impart vital knowledge on the Jets young safety corps. He could make an impact as a centerfield ballhawk. He even has the potential to do for the Jets what Sharper or Woodson did for the Saints and Packers.

#235 dwalsh, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  16. 101GangGreen101

I always wanted a Jets - Giants SB. My dream scenario was always to beat the Patriots / Steelers in the AFCCG then beat the Giants in the SB. That doesn't mean I'll root for the Giants to get to the big show, if it happens it happens that's on them.

It would be great for NJ / NY for that to happen. I'm focused on one team and one team only. That doesn't mean I have some inferiority complex. I support the Yankees and the Subway Series was one of the best things to happen in a long time, it was a very entertaining series. The fan-bases going at each other was awesome.

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying the Cardinals. They do have a really nice stadium (I've been there on numerous occasions) and it's in a really nice location - I got nothing against that. Now if the Jets were facing them, then they are my enemy.

I'm not supporting the Giants under any circumstance - I know plenty of old school Giant fans that absolutely hate the Jets. They wouldn't root for us to go to the SB.

17. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Inferiority complex? Im sure a lot of Giants fans root for the Jets to lose both teams want to own New York and one cant be supreme if the other one is better...

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think Yankee and Giant fans both look down on the Jets and Mets. In the Mets case they have a point. The Mets organization has been 2nd rate. The Jets have pretty much equaled the playing field with the Giants organizationally since Woody took over. That's a generational issue that's going to die out between Giants and Jets fans.

19. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

Wise move Rex & Co!

[​IMG]

20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks for the honesty. Although I don't agree with being a fan of 2 separate football teams, I see what you are saying.