Eagles sign Steve Smith

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ........, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Just like nobody wants Cotchery, he better hope he can latch on with the Giants.

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

What did Jerry Reese do before he became the Giants GM? All I see is him being the top scout director for the Giants.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Nicks>>>>Cotchery and I like Cotchery.

4. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Is it me or does it seem that the Giants have no loyalty for those who are injured? I get that sometimes you have to make the tough call but Smith is a guy they should have been loyal to based on his chemistry with Eli. If you are a giant they give you a very little window to get better or they seem to play hardball with you.

5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. Smith is a WR who relies upon his quickness to get open. He just had microfracture surgery. Chances are really good that he never returns to anything resembling his old self on the field. It's too bad that it happened in a contract year, but the Giants are making a sound business decision. You can't lock up a guy with that much risk to a long term deal.

6. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

The only thing I was wondering is if Smith went back to the Giants and said, "listen, the Eagles are giving me a couple million guaranteed and some incentives that, if I get healthy, I should be able to reach. Why don't you guys just get in their neighborhood, 'reward' me for my service here, and just give me enough guaranteed money to make me happy?"
    If that's what went down and the Giants still said see ya, then I'd be a little surprised. Can't be surprised he left, to get that kind of contract after microfracture surgery, and know he's probably gonna start the season on the PUP list, he gotta a pretty good deal.

7. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

he signed a 1 year deal so lock up is not the issue. From what I read it was more about being placed on the PUP list for the first 6 games when he thought he could come back sooner. I was not saying it's not a sound business decision just they come accross as disloyal to the one guy I think they should have shown loyalty to.

8. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

The fact that he's coming back from a serious injury and the Eagles only signed him to 1 year kind of makes me wonder. He won't be able to seriously contribute until midway through the season and even then may not regain his old form.

I'm sick to see him go to Philly, but it's more for sentimental and not logical reasons.

9. FriendlyGiantsFan

Coughlin said this morning that the Giants were not given a chance to match Smith's deal. Smith was upset because Coughlin had said (a few days ago) that Smith wouldn't be able to contribute for some time.

10. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

MikeGarafolo Mike Garafolo

Now Coughlin confirms: no chance to match. "And we were told we were going to" have that opportunity. #nyg

11. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Lots of similarities to Ellis leaving for the Pats eh?

12. FriendlyGiantsFan

Kind of. But Ellis was a big name with the Jets' fanbase due to his performance and longevity. Steve Smith really only had one good year and gained a lot of his popularity via facebook outreaches.

The biggest difference is this; Ellis probably won't do much more than be average to above-average (in spurts) for the Patriots whereas Steve Smith could be very good for the Eagles for a very long time.

13. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

Jesus, why don't we just give the Eagles the NFC title already.

Or Madden title. Whatever works.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Not sure how much of a role Smith will have once Maclin is ok. I'm sure that's why it's a one year deal. He will be looking for another job next year.

15. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Is he dead to you?

/Shonn Ellis

16. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I think you're a closet eagles fan.